If you're bad at maths, will chemistry at uni be a nightmare?

Watch this thread
LuhLah
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I would really love to study chem, but my maths is horrible. Would I have no hope in hell of doing well if that's the case?
cpchem
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LuhLah)
I would really love to study chem, but my maths is horrible. Would I have no hope in hell of doing well if that's the case?
Define horrible. Also, where would you be thinking of doing chem? Some courses are more maths-heavy than others.
Hanvyj
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I know someone doing chemical engineering, he had to do some nasty integration stuff so avoid that at least.

Im not sure about chemistry, depends how bad u r?
?!master?!mini?!
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
worse case scenario: you fail
best case scenario: you pass with flying colours

don't worry
LuhLah
Rep:
(Original post by cpchem)
Define horrible. Also, where would you be thinking of doing chem? Some courses are more maths-heavy than others.
Horrible as in not having a clue to do anything that involves maths. I was thinking of applying to strathclyde, glasgow, UWS, aberdeen...
Hanvyj
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
do you know what an integral is?
Lachlan
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Horrible as in not having a clue to do anything that involves maths. I was thinking of applying to strathclyde, glasgow, UWS, aberdeen...
University of West Scotland? Probably a bad idea I have heard their courses can be really tough with loads of difficult maths :rolleyes: .

How come you have already sent your UCAS for Biomed?
LuhLah
Rep:
(Original post by Lachlan)
University of West Scotland? Probably a bad idea I have heard their courses can be really tough with loads of difficult maths :rolleyes: .

How come you have already sent your UCAS for Biomed?
I haven't sent it away, hence the PENDING, sorry for the confusion.

If we are taught what maths we need for the course at uni, then it won't be a problem, but if we are expected to know loads then there is. I can do it, it just takes quite a while for it to sink in (for me, anyway) and apply.

:sigh: I'll just stick with biomed, no point in trying to make my life a misery.
EierVonSatan
Badges: 21
Report 12 years ago

If we are taught what maths we need for the course at uni, then it won't be a problem, but if we are expected to know loads then there is. I can do it, it just takes quite a while for it to sink in (for me, anyway) and apply.

:sigh: I'll just stick with biomed, no point in trying to make my life a misery.
Since practically all places do this I don't think you'll have a problem so long as you can cope with it. If you are truly bad at maths (can't do simple GCSE stuff competently) then I think you would struggle.
LuhLah
Rep:
(Original post by EierVonSatan)
Since practically all places do this I don't think you'll have a problem so long as you can cope with it. If you are truly bad at maths (can't do simple GCSE stuff competently) then I think you would struggle.
Oh GCSE was a doddle. It's just Higher (A Level) is a *****
-Kav-
Badges: 12
Report 12 years ago

Don't, whatever you do, let it put you off if you really want to do chemistry. Whatever university you apply to is going to have 'mathsy' areas, true, but the majority of modules will have no meaningful mathematical content at all. It's really limited to physical chemistry, and even at that the tough stuff is pretty much confined to the quantum mechanics.
My course had a 'leg up' maths half-module in first year to make sure everyone was up to scratch, and I don't think that's unusual, but it would be worth checking for before you apply anywhere. Just to temper my enthusiasm slightly, some people did find it reasonably tough, but I think everyone managed. Thereafter there's nothing to fear but all the chemistry.
amyloov
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Maths is a lot easier at university than it is in A-levels because you're only doing one subject. I hated maths at A-level, but at uni, my maths was a lot better (I do theoretical physics so maths is def needed) so don't let the maths put you off, chemistry (and most sciences) is a really good subject, or atleast compared to stuff like media and film studies...
LuhLah
Rep:
(Original post by -Kav-)
Don't, whatever you do, let it put you off if you really want to do chemistry. Whatever university you apply to is going to have 'mathsy' areas, true, but the majority of modules will have no meaningful mathematical content at all. It's really limited to physical chemistry, and even at that the tough stuff is pretty much confined to the quantum mechanics.
My course had a 'leg up' maths half-module in first year to make sure everyone was up to scratch, and I don't think that's unusual, but it would be worth checking for before you apply anywhere. Just to temper my enthusiasm slightly, some people did find it reasonably tough, but I think everyone managed. Thereafter there's nothing to fear but all the chemistry.
(Original post by amyloov)

Maths is a lot easier at university than it is in A-levels because you're only doing one subject. I hated maths at A-level, but at uni, my maths was a lot better (I do theoretical physics so maths is def needed) so don't let the maths put you off, chemistry (and most sciences) is a really good subject, or atleast compared to stuff like media and film studies...
Ahhhh ty I'm thinking about changing to chemistry now :daydreaming:
Lachlan
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Ahhhh ty I'm thinking about changing to chemistry now :daydreaming:
Well good luck, and for the love of christ don't apply to UWS, and why not Dundee instead of Abertay?
LuhLah
Rep:
Well good luck, and for the love of christ don't apply to UWS, and why not Dundee instead of Abertay?
I have my reasons :holmes:
Lachlan
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
I have my reasons :holmes:
I can maybe come to accept Abertay, but UWS as far as I can see doesn't even have the pretence of being a proper university. Why not try say Abertay or Stirling or a Edinburgh Uni?
MetalheadA7X
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
AS level chemistry was a nightmare for me and I am bad at maths.
LuhLah
Rep:
I can maybe come to accept Abertay, but UWS as far as I can see doesn't even have the pretence of being a proper university. Why not try say Abertay or Stirling or a Edinburgh Uni?
Btw, I'm making my choices on what I want, not what you think is right

Stirling doesn't offer chemistry based courses, and I wouldn't like to study in Edinburgh. I was thinking:

Strathclyde - Chemistry
Strathclyde - Chemistry, forensic and analytical
Glasgow - Chemistry with forensics (work placement)
Aberdeen - Chemistry
Lachlan
Rep:
Report 12 years ago
Btw, I'm making my choices on what I want, not what you think is right

Stirling doesn't offer chemistry based courses, and I wouldn't like to study in Edinburgh. I was thinking:

Strathclyde - Chemistry
Strathclyde - Chemistry, forensic and analytical
Glasgow - Chemistry with forensics (work placement)
Aberdeen - Chemistry
Ooo touche'

Believe me, I am the last person who is going to try to convince you to be a prestige *****. However if I have the knowledge and experience to stop you making a very ill-advised decision I feel honour bound to inform you .

For someone who is aiming for AAAAC UWS is not the place to go - trust me. Neither is Abertay when Dundee across the way a bit has one of the best science faculties in the country. You clearly have some smarts about you and could do better.

Those 4 look good.
LuhLah
Rep:
Ooo touche'

Believe me, I am the last person who is going to try to convince you to be a prestige *****. However if I have the knowledge and experience to stop you making a very ill-advised decision I feel honour bound to inform you .

For someone who is aiming for AAAAC UWS is not the place to go - trust me. Neither is Abertay when Dundee across the way a bit has one of the best science faculties in the country. You clearly have some smarts about you and could do better.

Those 4 look good.
I never really looked into Dundee I was thinking about St Andrews, but they don't let you in unless you have done physics at int 2 minimum, according to their prospectus anyway. :sad:. Thanks for the tips.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (12)
17.65%
The paper was reasonable (26)
38.24%
Not feeling great about that exam... (21)
30.88%
It was TERRIBLE (9)
13.24%

Watched Threads