Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any ideas on good ways to start a personal statement off?

It's difficult, because I want to make a powerful opening, whilst avoiding tackiness and generally inappropriate statements.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    um, opening lines for statements.....
    just quickly, what do you plan to study at uni?
    For your statement it really depends on what style you are writing it in. If it's an v. formal bit of writing then perhaps simply launching into your statement. Dispense with the frivolous stuff and devote every word to writing an impressive statement. On the other hand if you plan to add the personal touch to it (ie. make it unique) then sometimes quotes by influential people in your field can be helpful or even something quirky and noticible. I think in the end if you're truly sincere about what you write the 'powerful opening' element will shine through. Don' know if that helps at all... but good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I say just launch straight into it. This is my planned strucutre for my personal statement:

Paragraph 1: Why I want to do French
    Paragraph 2: Why I want to start Spanish from scratch
    Paragraph 3: Wider reading and related extra-curricular activities
    Paragraph 4: Why I chose my other A-level subjects and how they relate to languages
    Paragraph 5: Extra-curricular activities

Obviously you'll have to adapt yours a bit because it's a completely different course, but I hope that gives you some ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I say just launch straight into it. This is my planned strucutre for my personal statement:

Paragraph 1: Why I want to do French
    Paragraph 2: Why I want to start Spanish from scratch
    Paragraph 3: Wider reading and related extra-curricular activities
    Paragraph 4: Why I chose my other A-level subjects and how they relate to languages
    Paragraph 5: Extra-curricular activities

Obviously you'll have to adapt yours a bit because it's a completely different course, but I hope that gives you some ideas
    I started mine with 'French and Spanish are the subjects that really excite me.' Slightly tacky, with the benefit of hindsight, but it worked!

ReputationRep:
    set out some good sentence, like french is a multidispinary subject that will requitre a number of different skills
    make lists so u cross of i did
    skill
    extra curricular
    stuff ive dont that relates to my subject

ReputationRep:
    You might find this UCAS guide useful for your personal statement and application: http://www.ucas.com/apply/applying_online.pdf

Scroll down to section 5.7 to see what you could write in your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amo1)
    set out some good sentence, like french is a multidispinary subject that will requitre a number of different skills
    make lists so u cross of i did
    skill
    extra curricular
    stuff ive dont that relates to my subject
    Be carefull not to make words up though

ReputationRep:
    "When I was five, I wanted to be a pirate"

ReputationRep:
    i read an example... the opening sentence was "knees are weak things" random!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    How about stating the obvious...

"I love French."
    "French est mon passion" (if that's correct)
    "From a young age the beautiful language of French has enticed and enthralled me"

Remember you're pitching to somebody who teaches and is passionate about the subject - they want to know that if you study with them you will be too.

ReputationRep:
    I found going to the department website you could read through the coarse discription and entry requirements etc, and then just make yourself sound interested in those things. I was genuinely interested in them, but i found it a good starting point to get ideas.

ReputationRep:
    "Pigeons, it seems to me, have the right perspective on life"

my opening sentence - not sure it'd help for languages though.

i suggest you sit down with someone and say to them exactly why you want to study your chosen subject, and get them to note what you say. Then take those notes and write them more eloquently, adding in extra curriculars and A Level subjects as necessary. If you really want to do your subject then your enthusiasm and passion will come though, just by talking about it (rather than making witty comments about pigeons or talking pretentiously about the importance of whatever in modern sociey (unless ofcourse, that is genuinely why it interests you)), and that's the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    I think I had something like
    'My relationship with philosophy was not one of love at first site. It took about two weeks'
    I think the opening sentence is hardly the most important thing though. Why not start with the second sentence and write the rest and then come back later when perhaps you might have some idea of what you want to say.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me, as many have said, that by far the most important thing about a personal statement is that your passion for your chosen subject clearly comes through. It probably helps to be articulate, but not pretentitious (I have a tendency to sound pompous when I write stuff ) and write a bit about extra curricular, but I'd concentrate the bulk of it on describing why you love and want to study your subject, and describing how you've read around the subject/pursued your interests through extra curricular.

The strong opening sentence thing is an interesting point - problem as I see it is that everything is now inevitably a cliche: opening with a punchy quote, opening with a totally eccentric attention-grabbing statement, opening by declaring your love of the subject... Just go with whatever feels natural to you - make it concise, punchy, and above all, make sure it conveys your interest in your chosen topic of study

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.