Scroll to see replies

adzharmer
Also, what would you call that?

:|

Calcium diphenoxide

:|

or just Calcium phenoxide probably
Reply 21
Do you know whether reactions of ethanol with substances such as LiOH, Na, K etc is more reactive that phenol with the latter, of less reactive?
Calcium phonoxide would not have a 'structure' in the same way as a molecular structure, it is an ionic substance.

Ionic substances have a giant structure of ions and the 'formula' is just the representation of the simplest formula unit, i.e. the ratio of ions in the bulk structure.

In solution the ions have separate identities.

A v. nice picture adzharmer, but unfortunately fantasy. :biggrin:
Reply 23
Yea that's right, but you need to have square brackets around the phenols and the Ca to show that it's an ionic structure.
Reps for the picture :smile:
charco
Calcium phonoxide would not have a 'structure' in the same way as a molecular structure, it is an ionic substance.

Ionic substances have a giant structure of ions and the 'formula' is just the representation of the simplest formula unit, i.e. the ratio of ions in the bulk structure.

In solution the ions have separate identities.

A v. nice picture adzharmer, but unfortunately fantasy. :biggrin:

hmmm, this is food for the mind :smile:

never realised this
(well, never made the connection)
Reply 25
Hmm ok think I get it...

Do you guys know wheather reactions of ethanol with substances such as LiOH, Na, K are more reactive that phenol with LiOH, Na, K, of less reactive? And why...
adzharmer
Hmm ok think I get it...

Do you guys know wheather reactions of ethanol with substances such as LiOH, Na, K are more reactive that phenol with LiOH, Na, K, of less reactive? And why...

More reactive as the reactions are essentially rely on H+ being readily available and as phenol is more acidic (thanks to the benzene ring) than ethanol it's more reactive :smile:
Reply 27
What module or whatever is this question part of? I don't take A levels myself but would like to know what is handled in A levels.
If anyone knows if there's a website where I can find what is handled in chemistry A levels, please post a link.
Reply 28
The examining bodies are primarily AQA, OCR, Edexcel and Salters; go onto one of their websites (i.e, www.ocr.org.uk) and navigate to the A-Level qualifications, find chemistry, then view the specification. (i.e, http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_9910_kd_gce_spec.pdf)
Reply 29
SonnyJim
The examining bodies are primarily AQA, OCR, Edexcel and Salters; go onto one of their websites (i.e, www.ocr.org.uk) and navigate to the A-Level qualifications, find chemistry, then view the specification. (i.e, http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_9910_kd_gce_spec.pdf)

Thanks, this is helpful.
1435067199049.jpg sorry its sideways!! Cant turn it round.
Original post by adzharmer
What's the structure of calcium phenoxide?

If lithium phenoxide is a phenol molecule with Li+O- coming off it, then how would you describe calcium phenoxide (making sure the chemical equation is balanced)?
Original post by jjones1998
1435067199049.jpg sorry its sideways!! Cant turn it round.

You clearly did not bother to read through the thread ... :facepalm2:

Quick Reply

Latest