Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i read the pre release now.. its actually really gud! i quite enjoyed it! Theres quite a lot to talk bout too

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing the theme is 'educational experiences', purely because that's the title it gives at the top of the contents page, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juxtapiped)
    I'm guessing the theme is 'educational experiences', purely because that's the title it gives at the top of the contents page, lol.

lol..i thought that to.. i hadnt even read the extracts and i was like "oh its gonna b on education"... everyone else jst thought i was psychic or stupid!

ReputationRep:
    After doing past papers 4 unit 6 all year was totally panicin bout it but 2bh i think its alright!! i mean it could b alot worse!!
    Educational Expericences! Wev all ad em so that puts us in a good position!! think the unseen material will b quite modern 4comparison! thats my thoughts neway! :rolleyes: unit5 wasnt that bad! did Ed2 an rime of ancient mariner!
    xx
    :hello:

ReputationRep:
    The material, whilst not too complicated, does not fill me with much confidence. Purely for the fact that usually, an item will be included that is totally separate from the author or style presented throughout most of the booklet. Like for example, as somebody mentioned earlier, a piece of drama with a school scene in it could have nicely complemented the Nicholas Nickelby material but left sufficient scope to contrast the varying styles and contexts.

I just feel that the texts are quite restrictive, in the sense that it all relates to Charles Dickens. Perhaps the opportunity for a wider comparison will be provided with the unseen text in the exam, but I would much prefer to be able to study this kind of comparison in the pre-release prior to the paper.

Oh well lol....

ReputationRep:
    Well, the Lively piece is a little different, as it doesn't relate necessarily to Dickens, it's more about a child's experience and perception of a book. I think we'll get poetry in the exam, probably something more modern.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madelyn)
    Well, the Lively piece is a little different, as it doesn't relate necessarily to Dickens, it's more about a child's experience and perception of a book. I think we'll get poetry in the exam, probably something more modern.
    i think poetry too!! I HATE POETRY!
    i want drama!

ReputationRep:
    The theme is educational experiences!! ???I read that it was mental abnormalities!

(Original post by White_redrose)
    I think we'll get poems too - maybe Carol Ann Duffy? She's written tons of poems about education/educational experiences. Either way...am so glad to have finished Chaucer and M4M now, I just hope that I got a low A/middleish B, as I think that's all I need to hang on to my A overall. Anyone started analysing the pre-release yet?
    My first thought with the exam extract was poetry and that they could use some Duffy...I really dislike her poetry. I'd like it to be poetry as language features and structure are great to go in depth with..but then drama has the aspect where you can mention how it is meant to be performed and all that which I like writing. With poems they often give more than one too which is annoying!!

I am hoping the second question will be one which allows for discussing other texts. Most of my class hate that but I love it!!

ReputationRep:
    Do we only prep language, form and structure for the Nicholas Nickleby extract? The first question will be to compare language form and structure with the material given in the exam; surely we only need to prep language form and structure for the Nickleby extract and not the critics views etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    My first thought with the exam extract was poetry and that they could use some Duffy...I really dislike her poetry. I'd like it to be poetry as language features and structure are great to go in depth with..but then drama has the aspect where you can mention how it is meant to be performed and all that which I like writing. With poems they often give more than one too which is annoying!!

I am hoping the second question will be one which allows for discussing other texts. Most of my class hate that but I love it!!
    I hope Duffy does appear! I think she's an amazing poet, I'm a big fan of her work, though know it doesn't appeal to everyone. - - I like the 'discuss other texts' type question too though!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that it will be Duffy because they used her work in a recent synoptic paper so it would be odd to repeat it again. I'm reallyglad about the Dickens, there's masses you can say...also the consider other texts question leaves the door open for loads of stuff...in my recent studies I've looked at education/childhood in Jane Eyre, Tom Jones, Angela's Ashes and William Blake ...yay

(Original post by Juxtapiped)
    Do we only prep language, form and structure for the Nicholas Nickleby extract? The first question will be to compare language form and structure with the material given in the exam; surely we only need to prep language form and structure for the Nickleby extract and not the critics views etc.
    The Nickleby extract will be compared with another in the exam so focus on Genre, Subject Matter, Point of View, Langauge use, Setting and Structure (or as I like to remember in the exam General Studies is Pointless-well it works for me anyway..lol)

Then for the other pieces the contextual and critical pieces look at them and identify whats relevant to the text and what the piece is and who wrote it and why. Then look at how if illuminates and informs your reading of the text as well as how useful it is. As the second question may ask for focus on other texts make a list of ones you have studied/read and how the context and interpretation pieces are relevant...

(Original post by minimo)
    I don't think that it will be Duffy because they used her work in a recent synoptic paper so it would be odd to repeat it again. I'm reallyglad about the Dickens, there's masses you can say...also the consider other texts question leaves the door open for loads of stuff...in my recent studies I've looked at education/childhood in Jane Eyre, Tom Jones, Angela's Ashes and William Blake ...yay
    Jane Eyre is another text that instantly came to my mind when looking over this pre release stuff..

ReputationRep:
    Jane Eyre is another text that instantly came to my mind when looking over this pre release stuff..
    i thought jane eyre too! but the other text has to be of another genre :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I was referring to final question...discuss with reference to books you have studied...
    I agree that unseen will be poetry...

(Original post by Annik)
    i thought jane eyre too! but the other text has to be of another genre :mad:
    I know but if one of the bullet points asked for discussion of other texts read concerning childhood etc then I could quite happily write about it...Can't think of many others that I'm familiar with actually if it were about childhood/education...

ReputationRep:
    I know but if one of the bullet points asked for discussion of other texts read concerning childhood etc then I could quite happily write about it...Can't think of many others that I'm familiar with actually if it were about childhood/education...
    :confused: i cant think of many! Blake is the only text i have really studied that may be relevant!

We could all be completely wrong and it could be on something completely different.. :mad: Id b very annoyed!!!

ReputationRep:
    Basically, my teacher has emphasized that the synoptic is great for those who actually do like Literature and not those who only took it to get another qualification on their CV. The last question draws on your reading within school, but also outside of school; you bring in things you've read outside of school too. The question will be personal, and thus will draw upon your OWN experiences; it's supposed to be entirely natural, not a mechanical question. It may ask 'how important has the study of literature been in your education?' or something; whatever it is, anyone who genuinly likes Literature will be able to answer it; even if a piece you've read doesn't directly relate to the theme of education, it fits into YOUR OWN education and your own experience of Literature. Try not to look for 'relevant' things, although this may help; just look at what you've read over the years, or studied and come up with your own decent opinion about what it's all meant to you etc. You can shape ANYTHING to the question, surely. I've read T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland; it's nothing to do with education etc but its main moral thrust is that in a fragmented and despotic world we must merge together fragments of lost traditions and moral code's; we must combine western philosophy with eastern philosophy; christianity with buddhism. It's basically just modernism; you could bring in modernism in relation to Dickens and that he has been described as an early modernist attempting to expose the humanity of his characters as a means of breaking traditional social structures; unitying us all as is depicted in The Wasteland. Bring in those critics views; that Dickens was reacting against the traditions of his time, striving to alter traditions in a similar way that T.S. Eliot does so in The Wasteland etc. I dunno, but basically, the idea of the synoptic is to provide a synoptic assessment of your entire experience of Literature; not necessarily the mechanical experience you've had in the classroom. It's our chance to speak, in a way.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were supposed to bring in as little from outside as possible because they are testing your skills rather than anything else and thats why you get such a range of things. They dont want you to look stuff up about Dickens or whatever, thats not the point. Well thats what my class have been taught anyway.

Im hoping for a poem. They are really easy to analyse quickly IMO. I would HATE Duffy though. Ugh.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.