Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Highlighting's fine, read the front of the Pre-Release booklet . I'm just doing the odd word for reminding me of something... like "Imagery" or "Mode of address". I'm going to put in numbers so I remember the links to other texts. Highlighting as well, of course.

ReputationRep:
    I've written tonnes of notes on mine! Did in January too (not that it helped :rolleyes: ) but nobody told me off. Luckily have great teacher, went in this morning and discussed it for an hour, feel pretty confident now.

There are 2 questions, 2nd with 2 bullet points. Definite (according to teachers)!

ReputationRep:
    Luckily have great teacher, went in this morning and discussed it for an hour, feel pretty confident now.
    I didn't think we were allowed to talk to teachers :confused: I'm sure it said something in the syllabus about it being strictly forbidden cos I remember thinking that was a bit OTT lol

ReputationRep:
    sorry to be a loser, but what was wrong with him saying bottinney?what should he have said?i have zero general knowledge!x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White_redrose)
    Wish it was like Sociology - I only need 7/120 on my final paper to get an A overall 'cause I took an A2 module in Jan.
    Wow, lucky! Someone in my class (I call him 'A' boy hehe) only needs 27/120. Chuh! I need 69-ish, due to my disastrous coursework.

ReputationRep:
    and do the two questions refer to all the items?or is it randon and were just meant to read them all. do we give prerelease in?or keep it. i covered my wuthering heights in it...essays and everything on the blank pages and no one got on to it...yay. good luck, and sarah, how amazing was ur reply yesterday(the masssive one)helped me loads
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Anyone reckon the Nicholas Nickleby would focus on education and if so which other works could you comment on in the "referring to other works you have read, answer this question..." Any ideas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hfdq7)
    and do the two questions refer to all the items?or is it randon and were just meant to read them all. do we give prerelease in?or keep it. i covered my wuthering heights in it...essays and everything on the blank pages and no one got on to it...yay. good luck, and sarah, how amazing was ur reply yesterday(the masssive one)helped me loads
    xxxx
    Question one only refers to the long passage of the pre-release (nickleby) and the unseen material you get in the exam paper
    Question two goes on about referring to Item 2 answer this question
    Q2 is normally in about 3 bullet points which are equally weighted

Which genre do people think the unseen is going to be? My teachers got a funny feeling it'll be poetry, so we've done loads of that, if its a play im screwed!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hfdq7)
    sorry to be a loser, but what was wrong with him saying bottinney?what should he have said?i have zero general knowledge!x
    He spells it wrong it should botany and in an English spelling lesson that makes him seem quite ignorant. Unelss that's how the word used to be spelt and I've misinterpreted it.

ReputationRep:
    hey, have you read this whole forum thing?i found this site by accident this morning, so good. ppl so clever... if you havent, do!some really good points.confusing about layout of exam though cos everyone has diff ideas. most people think education, its value, historical context, victorian education. and that the poems will be prob by carol ann duffy or blake, or about jayne eyre. not done any of them though-yay!what assess objectives are they i get confused. good luck! x

ReputationRep:
    thanQ i think it is about his ignorance, good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    The pre-release material taken into the examination may contain only
    brief marginal annotation. Such annotation should amount to no
    more than cross-references and/or the glossing of individual words or
    phrases. Highlighting and underlining is permitted. Annotations
    going beyond individual words or phrases, or amounting to aidesmemoire
    or notes towards the planning of essays are not permitted.
    Insertion of pages, loose sheets, post-its or any other form of notes
    or additional material is not permitted.
    Discussion of the pre-release material with teachers is forbidden.
    This is from the AQA specification http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...46-W-SP-05.pdf it answers the questions about highlighting and annotating

ReputationRep:
    Lo all, new to the community . Just started reading my pre-release and I feel a bit better already. When I've read it all and made enough notes and stuff we'll get some context points shared. See if we can't all get something out of this topic before we go to sleep at 4am (bloody hot weather :P).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryry)
    Also, does anyone know anything about what education was like in teh 18th century? I know it was pretty brutal and teaching methods were pretty appauling, but is there anything more specific? I can't seem to find anything online.
    Dont look stuff up. Ive been reading the examiners reports and they all stress the need for NOT looking things up and then regurgitating them. I think as someone already said, everything you need is on the pre-release/exam. They are looking for your skills not how well you can use Google.

Also on there it states that conciseness is a virtue. People who write too much usually suffer because of it (which doesnt bode well for my unit 5!) so be calm, organised and precise (if its possible to think straight in this damn heat).

Good luck to everyone! Try not to panic, it will be fine.

Btw Ive been reading over some of the posts on here and it does amaze me how little we really need to get to get the grades. For example in law i only need another 119 marks out of a possible 210 to get an A!! So in fact if I got full marks in Wednesdays synoptic then I didn't need to bother showing up to the exam today! In English I need 208 out of 300. It just seems crazy. I thought it was my maths that was off but clearly not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah1987)
    I've written tonnes of notes on mine! Did in January too (not that it helped :rolleyes: ) but nobody told me off. Luckily have great teacher, went in this morning and discussed it for an hour, feel pretty confident now.

There are 2 questions, 2nd with 2 bullet points. Definite (according to teachers)!

hmmm..im sure u aint allowed to discuss it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Is just me or is part of what you have to do particularly with the critical viewpoints, is to analyse them as they stand, so to speak? or instance with the Lively one, one could debate on the merits of childhood reading, whether it really is that beneficial, how it influences or indeed stifles the meaning that one deriebes from the text? This is mainly something that could come up on the bullet points...comparing the way contexts have influenced Dickens the writer ie extract C and the reader in the Lively extract and how useful they are in interpreting teh texts.
    i think it could be that too for question 2

ReputationRep:
    from everything i've looked at, i think the following is a fairly safe assumption as to what the questions will be:

1). discuss how Dickens and <insert poet/playwrite here> present <insert theme here: probably education, or something directly related to it; possibly schools>, primarily through their respective use of language, form, and structure.

this is a fairly straight-forward question that tests your ability to do A03 and A02ii... just make a point about Dickens, prove it with the text, and then say 'however...' and show how the other author accomplishes a different/same task.

2).
    + after reading through the articles in item 2, how much do you agree with <insert writer's name>?/how much did <insert writer's name> inform your opinion of the extract of Nicholas Nickleby?
    + discuss at least one other novel which you have read which involves <insert theme> and how it has effected your reading of <whatever>.

i'd say that was a pretty safe bet.
    anybody else come up with anything?

ReputationRep:
    + discuss at least one other novel which you have read which involves <insert theme> and how it has effected your reading of <whatever>.

i'd say that was a pretty safe bet.
    anybody else come up with anything?[/QUOTE]

maybe about the quote from item 3 bout childhood reading and its benefit of not really understanding

(Original post by Annik)
    hmmm..im sure u aint allowed to discuss it :rolleyes:
    nope you are allowed to discuss it with your english teacher...

I do think that if people have then it is giving them kind of an unfair advantage. Think I've done ok with annotating it. Going to transfer my annotations to the real copy tonight. Spent the afternoon sitting in the sun going over what I have come up with, with some friends. I am hoping it will be ok. There is only so much you can prepare as it all depends on the other piece and the question as to what is relevant (its a lot better than my theatre studies where you don't get pre release just a load of stuff to read then write about in the exam :eek:)

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm. I've just been reading though the mark scheme for this and we get credit for different critical approaches. Has any one got any ideas?

The only thing I could think of was if they asked about the importance of historical context then I could talk about postcolonial criticism becasue thats what I did my coursework on. But thats really quite tenuous.

Anyone got any ideas? help!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.