Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    We will indeed! lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know what Squeers means by 'practical philosophy'?

ReputationRep:
    Item three could merely be about an audience's respose or something, perhaps linked with that idea of class?

Sarah.. what were your teacher's pointers? Just so I'm not missing anything..

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone. im so bad, and nervous....ah!xxx

ReputationRep:
    Argh.. and who is William Shaw?

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't much that hasn't already been discussed here, she reckoned satire would be the focus. Lots of irony in NN's speech etc. Also, the most important thing to look at for items 2 and 3 is the purpose and the audience of the extract apparently.

William Shaw was an infamous Yorkshire teacher, who Dickens may have based Mr Squeers upon. Or maybe not! See the criticisms

ReputationRep:
    So was it Dickens teacher? Or just some random guy that thought Dickens was picking on him?

ReputationRep:
    and what would u say is the purpose and audiences?xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    What lit theory should be applied to NN other than marxism?

ReputationRep:
    and what would u say is the purpose and audiences?xxxxx
    Item 1 A for example is an introdcution to the book, ie. the audience is the people that read the book. The purpose being to set the theme or something.

Basically look at the intro line for each extract and judge who it has been written for and why.

ReputationRep:
    Actually.. about item 3.

I think the fact that she says "We read a literary innocents" at the end is important. Perhaps the fact that they read it without awareness of literary concepts and devices shows that Dickens is putting the idea across in an accessible way. Lively probably misunderstood the satire and took the book as a literal portrayl, shown by the fact that they cried during the "sad bits."

ReputationRep:
    how clever are you all!!!good luck xxx

ReputationRep:
    i think, in regards to the question of 'why did dickens write this novel?', extract b holds the answer. it says:
    "At the end of his labours on Nicholas Nickleby Dickens told his friends that it 'had been to him a diary of the last two years: the various papers preserving to him the recollection of events and feelings connected with their production'."

with that quote, you can get quite a bit of information out... first off, they compare the novel to a diary, which is a direct signal to something holding extreme emotional importance, in which case Dickens felt as though he had a purpose in writing it, as well as wanting to imbue it with a strong sense of emotional importance/impact. another is the use of the term 'production' (i'm not sure if we should really go into A03 on the extracts, but whatever...); it's so much more mechanical than diary, and slightly undercuts what could be seen as the emotional importance held in such a literary device. however, you can also take the stance that Dickens was viewing the entirety of writing the novel, i.e. experiencing the places, events, and people, as a production (something he had to do before he felt he could write the novel), and, after he experienced that, he realized the importance of such factors in his life (at this point you bring in that little bit of A04 or whatever about his childhood).

it can also be seen from the extracts that there's a heavy focus on the satirical/farce aspects of the novel, which, to be honest, i hadn't even thought of (it's hard to understand satire when it's written for a different time period and you're completely unfamiliar with the novelist!).

i would resist to go into too much detail regarding a historical context, however, as then it just becomes a history paper, and you also have to keep in mind that, and the exam board stresses this, you really don't need outside information to recieve a good mark on this exam. what you can do, however, is incorporate that information into your essay as saying it influenced your reading of the extracts, etc., etc., etc.

sheesh! it's getting down to the cutting wire....

ReputationRep:
    i am trying to find examples of thoelogical imagery- anyone found any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by char_hall)
    i am trying to find examples of thoelogical imagery- anyone found any?
    'Brimstone' - as in fire and brimstone - hell
    'incipient hell' - speaks for itself - that school is hellish

ReputationRep:
    whats brynhilde?zxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    and happy birthday for tomrow - looked at ur profile!and u got french too tomorow-quality present. well i have french tomorow, maybe you dont. xxx

ReputationRep:
    hfdq7: brynhilde is simply a character from norse mythology, who, in Lively's opinion, was "overweight and had plaits", i.e. she wasn't glamorous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by char_hall)
    What lit theory should be applied to NN other than marxism?
    ^^ um, what's marxism? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hfdq7)
    and happy birthday for tomrow - looked at ur profile!and u got french too tomorow-quality present. well i have french tomorow, maybe you dont. xxx
    Nope, 2 hour psychology exam is my present!! I'm on Edexcel for French - next Tuesday.

Well almost time to leave for school, good luck everybody, we can all do it I'm sure I better get praying now hehe

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 30, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.