Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    what could the potential essay??

any feelings??

i think enzymes?? my teacher says lipids??

what yall think?

and ne good sites that have model essays??? to help us write the essays?

ReputationRep:
    I'm dreading the synoptic exam, havent actually revised for it yet! For the essay im going to go through all the topics we have every done and see which topics comes up most frquently and revise them the most. Also im going to try and link as many topics together. Its bound to be about enzymes, energy, cycles in bio or transport

ReputationRep:
    I heard that enzymes came up in january, but not 100% tho. i dont know any sites with model essays (I wish!!) but www.biologymad.com has a massive list of possible essay titles, some of them are less human biology ish tho, so i just pick and chose the best ones for my course!!

Maybe we could all come up with some ideas and plan them 2gether on this thread?

ReputationRep:
    Here is one plan of mine, just wana see what anyone else thinks about the question and whether Ive missed anything out :p:

Maintaining a constant internal environment

Intro: define homeostasis, its importance in making sure enzymes aren’t denatured, water potential stays constant, temperature is at optimum etc. idea of NEGATIVE FEEDBACK

Main:

Plasma membrane controls the rate of movement of molecules through the membrane.
    Water potential needs to be constant because otherwise cells would burst or shrink.
    Enzymes need optimum environment - right temperature (diffusion/denatured), correct pH(can affect ionic bonds or charges on amino acids within active site).
    Constant supply of oxygen by adaptations of lungs - thin exchange surface, large SA (alveoli), diff. in conc. (breathing)
    Water potential in capillaries ? with lack of plasma proteins, tissue fluid not reabsorbed.
    Barriers to prevent micro-organism entry ? makes sure internal environment not affected
    Constant supply of energy - respiration ?
    Buffer solution (e.g. haemoglobin) to control pH of blood by absorbing/releasing H+ ions.
    Autonomic nervous system to ensure internal factors are controlled.
    Blood glucose control via alpha and beta cells
    1) insulin lowers glucose concentration
    2) Glucagon converts more glycogen to glucose
    Role of behaviour via voluntary centre to control core temperature.
    Heat loss/heat gain centre to keep temp constant.
    Describe responses to cold/warm temp.

ReputationRep:
    anyone have any more ideas for synoptic essay titles please?

ReputationRep:
    hi ya, ive just planned a few essays could anyone tell me if ive missed anything blatantly obvious out?!
    Also wot do you think the likely synoptic essay titles will be? Im hopin its enzymes but i think that may have come up in january :rolleyes:

Thanks people
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc essays.doc (3.3 KB, 110 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poptart86)
    hi ya, ive just planned a few essays could anyone tell me if ive missed anything blatantly obvious out?!
    Also wot do you think the likely synoptic essay titles will be? Im hopin its enzymes but i think that may have come up in january :rolleyes:

Thanks people
    i think this maybe very indirect but wat about protozoa and bacteria in ruminants. the microorganisms are digested by the cow and the protein the bacteria contain are broken down to amino acids for ruminant to use. u could say that amino acids used by ruminants for growth and reapir of cells and tissue which humans consume as meat. also the microorganism can convert non nitrogen proptein into protein which the cow gains later wen the microorganism is digested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ky1986)
    i think this maybe very indirect but wat about protozoa and bacteria in ruminants. the microorganisms are digested by the cow and the protein the bacteria contain are broken down to amino acids for ruminant to use. u could say that amino acids used by ruminants for growth and reapir of cells and tissue which humans consume as meat. also the microorganism can convert non nitrogen proptein into protein which the cow gains later wen the microorganism is digested.
    do you know what i might just learn that. if I add it in an essay it might make me seem really clever, esp. if its not directly on the spec :p:
    thank you

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 22, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.