Turn on thread page Beta

Busking in London - illegal? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is busking in London illegal? I know that in certain places (tube, covent garden) one has to have a license, but what about elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feedtheflamingo)
    Is busking in London illegal? I know that in certain places (tube, covent garden) one has to have a license, but what about elsewhere?
    I'm pretty sure it is. Don't you need a licence to busk everywhere now?

Motherless Child

ReputationRep:
    not illegal as long as you can run fast enough

ReputationRep:
    Haha, yes - the old, "not illegal unless you get caught" :p:

I used to live by that.

Motherless Child

ReputationRep:
    out of curisotiy how much are licenses and where do you get them

ReputationRep:
    Busking is illegal although generally accepted if your not 'hassling' the public.
    Most police officers just move people on (mostly tramps), but someone well clothed etc, they might take a different stance.

I would have to talk to someone who has done it themselves. An officer will just say its illegal end of with the council backing that up as well. But generally they tend not to take much notice.

I wouldn't know where to get an entertainment or busing license from? Westminster Council perhaps? They must be rules for this though I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    Illegal ... ? Uh oh *picks up instruments and hat and runs away*

*Muppets theme tune ensues*

ReputationRep:
    I wish I knew that before I went busking the other week. To be fair, it was for charity.

ReputationRep:
    Get a job you bums!!

ReputationRep:
    I dont whether its illegal or not but busking is certainly allowed in the tube. The buskers have a badge that they were i presume their licsenced, they also have their own section on the floor with a semicircle badge ad showing that busking is provided by London Under Ground. I think its good to have busking as if your coming from a long days work atleast you'll get something pleasant to hear on your way home.

When im going home from work i go via Tottenham Court Road Station, every night around 9:30pm theres always a favourite busker of mine, one is a 'Cher' lookalike and the other is a student id presume.., such wonderfull tunes they play!

And if i come via Bank Station then theres this chineese man with a fake mustache playing a violine! But its all good!

ReputationRep:
    I wish it was illegal everywhere, some of the stuff that is played is god damn bloody awful and when you're trying to speak to someone the sounds get in the way :mad:

ReputationRep:
    when that happens just push the instrument into their face, they will be so shocked they won't know what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scubar)
    when that happens just push the instrument into their face, they will be so shocked they won't know what to do
    Chances are they'll carry on playing regardless..

ReputationRep:
    wellp, that worsens the tune of what they are playing

ReputationRep:
    not if its a trumpet,

if they do get a big stick and start chasing them while yelling
    "get a job and learn to play your instrument properly ya lazy bum"

they should stop after that

ReputationRep:
    ahaha, thats because they would be catching their breath.. rofl.. they might throw their trumpet at ya though.. u better catch it and go sell it.. or bury it.

ReputationRep:
    who'd want to buy a trumpet

the other idea, with one slight change might be acceptable

bury ----> burn

ReputationRep:
    they have to be licensed to play on the tube but i think they're pretty much allowed overground.

ReputationRep:
    LOL, burning a trumpet is gonna be tough cuz its metal... you can chunk it down on the sea or melt it.. but nvm, i think some of em plays great music while others just cause chaos all over the place... baaah

ReputationRep:
    it all depends on the context you're right, most of the ones in my college should be chucked on the bonfire along with their instruments

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.