Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The grammar can be a bit daunting, but again, most people struggle with it a bit (the case system, for example, because we don't really have it in English or French it's not a concept we tend to be used to), so a good teacher will take it slowly.
    The grammar is the worst part of it. Our teacher started our AS course with a rant about how German should just be a straight A Level so you could use the first half term at least to remember the GCSE stuff. I think they expect to much out of you really, you're only learning for what, 9 months and they want a hugely better standard from you.

ReputationRep:
    What A2 spec are you on? I did edexcel today, the 2 texts, 50-50 and der besuch, wasn't too bad, questions could have been much worse!!!! Re-translation will kill though. Do AS if you're prepared to resit the papers, believe me, it's worth resitting them as you learn the language more, don't get disheartened at any first results you get and just keep trying! I love german, I don't understand grammar but pfft, we'll see! I very very very almost got an A (4 UMS off) for my As and I have resat one paper which will hopefully give me more than an A.

Do it if you're prepared to hate it ;-) After that you'll love it!

ReputationRep:
    For AS German, grammar is very important, and it is advisable to be comfortable with all the use of basis tenses before you start. There is also keep a bit of new vocab to learn, but normally if you have a good understanding of grammar, everthing just seems to fit around that. The case system as well is really important to grasp- the early you start thinking that the better.

As for French AS, i found much moreenjoyable when i got all the grammar done. I learned all the grammar before AS ,so nothing was new to me, which helped me a lot to concentrate on vocabularly building , which is especially important for A2. Often a solid knowledge of grammar can also compensate for lack of vocabularly. Using a subjunctive or a passive always bright up a essay, where the vocab isnt very sophiscated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs Rickman)
    . You do do quite a bit in German, in terms of cases we've only really covered the pluperfect and passive but there are other grammar points

Just thought you should know, pluperfect and passive are tenses not cases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaisersalsek)
    What A2 spec are you on? I did edexcel today, the 2 texts, 50-50 and der besuch, wasn't too bad, questions could have been much worse!!!! Re-translation will kill though. Do AS if you're prepared to resit the papers, believe me, it's worth resitting them as you learn the language more, don't get disheartened at any first results you get and just keep trying! I love german, I don't understand grammar but pfft, we'll see! I very very very almost got an A (4 UMS off) for my As and I have resat one paper which will hopefully give me more than an A.

Do it if you're prepared to hate it ;-) After that you'll love it!

I did the 50-50 question today. Which one did you pick? I did the Sabine one. Although i didnt think any of them were particularly nice question. I really wanted on about Mario or Frau Dehnert

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richy Rich$$)
    Just thought you should know, pluperfect and passive are tenses not cases
    oops :rolleyes: lol i meant tenses

ReputationRep:
    The one about the dehnerts was sort of about her! I did the BRD, oh fun it was...

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd say that personally I found the jump from AS to A2 much harder than GCSE to AS. Yes, it is a jump to AS, but I found they're really not bothered about grammar much at AS at all - I managed to get an A without really understanding any of it at all.

This year, however, it's all about the grammar and I've really had to tighten up my writing.

Several people in my class are expected to drop a grade between AS and A2.

ReputationRep:
    German! You must be bonkers!

ReputationRep:
    I currently do German A2 and love it! I did my GCSE in Yr 10 and got a B. After doing no German at all during yr 11 I decided to do it for AS. I found the jump really difficult - my predictions went from a C/D at the beginning of yr 12 to an A at the end. If you're willing to work then it's OK.
    I'm the only one in my class wanting to do German at Uni. 4 out of the 7 in my class are looking at a below C grade - they have found the jump particularly hard. German is manageable ( I do it along with 3 other A-levels) as long as you are willing to put the work in if u want a gd grade!

ReputationRep:
    German AS is p*ss easy. You learn no new grammar (unlike in french) and as long as you have a basic understanding of the cases you'll cane it. Id say do it if you're actually interested, don't if its just another qualification you think you'll have when applying to uni. A2s fairly simple as well. Im also pretty sure that German is easier than other subjects at A2 on OCR... Having said that im sure im gonna have messed it up :p:

But seriously, its not particularly tough

ReputationRep:
    You learn no new grammar
    That is only true if you did a lot of grammar for GSCE. I did as I had 1:1 teaching doing my GSCE in one year in lower six with a perspective of continuing with AS in upper six, however others who did GSCE in my school on "normal" basis with other teacher had almost no grammar (focus on communication) and were strugling a lot at the bigining of AS suddenly discovering caces (I have further advantage that my mother tongue uses cases so it is natural thing for me but many english speakers strugle with that concept).

Id say do it if you're actually interested, don't if its just another qualification you think you'll have when applying to uni.
    I could not agree more. It is easier to get high grades in other subjects so for purpose of extra qualification language is not a best choice.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=metta]You learn no new grammar[QUOTE]

We learnt loads for AS. We'd never really done cases, well we had done nom. and acc. without knowing it at GCSE, but when we got to AS and we started with grammar, we did about 3 months solid grammar, we we expected to learn all of it, and it wasn't enjoyable at all, in fact 2 people left, and 2 more of us considered it. We all got A's or A*'s at GCSE, i'm hoping for a B, even though I've been aiming for an A, and I will probably get a C, bcause they gave us a totally random exam, and I revised loads, and nothing was relevant at all, so I'm very annoyed with German at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Wjich examination board are you with Emma?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    Wjich examination board are you with Emma?
    OCR

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=emma155][QUOTE=metta]You learn no new grammar

We learnt loads for AS. We'd never really done cases, well we had done nom. and acc. without knowing it at GCSE, but when we got to AS and we started with grammar, we did about 3 months solid grammar, we we expected to learn all of it, and it wasn't enjoyable at all, in fact 2 people left, and 2 more of us considered it. We all got A's or A*'s at GCSE, i'm hoping for a B, even though I've been aiming for an A, and I will probably get a C, bcause they gave us a totally random exam, and I revised loads, and nothing was relevant at all, so I'm very annoyed with German at the moment

I think you realy should have had a basic understanding of nominative accusative and genitive and gcse, and all you do is build up on that at AS.

I honestly don't believe there was that much grammar to learn. I got an A at AS level, and the german teching at my school is not bad but definitely below most other subjects (only about 6 ppl do it for A -level :p: ) As for your exams, im sure you did fine

ReputationRep:
    We did no real grammar at GCSE, we were just taught phrases without really understanding why you for example, had to put an 's' on the end of that word. Then at AS it all started to make sense, and I think that's actually quite helpful, as by then you're starting to speak German a bit more, so all the grammar stuff is just there naturally, then you learn why it does that. If you learn the grammar first, then you have to work out how to say things correctly before you can say them. That made sense to me...

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* for german GCSE then dropped to a C for my AS first take. In my retakes I got up to a high B (4UMS off an A) and I have resat another module so hopefully I'll get the 4 UMS to bring my AS grade up to an A :-)

ReputationRep:
    With AQA there's a fair bit of grammar at AS and even more at A2. But their exam was a lot more difficult than the past papers we'd been doing aswell! Ah well, will resit next year anyway (they make us as A2 listening is so hard we have to resit AS reading and listening in order to scrape a few extra UMSs)

ReputationRep:
    I've just done OCR AS German and it was hard. I did AQA GCSE and did only fairly basic grammar, no cases though!
    I am hoping for at least a B this summer. It is hard, but if you spend some time on it, it should start to click a bit more (I found this! - I think!)

If your interested in German, then do it!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.