loolypop
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Will be starting Durham next week ( ) and was wondering what you wear for matriculation and basically what it's like etc?
I know its formal ish stuff and we're going to have gowns but do we take them off at any point for anything?
I have one dress in mind but it may be a little short for this kind of thing ...but then if gowns are being worn it might be ok...:confused:
Would be great if you could share your matriculation experiences!
Thanks x
Prudy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by loolypop)
Will be starting Durham next week ( ) and was wondering what you wear for matriculation and basically what it's like etc?
I know its formal ish stuff and we're going to have gowns but do we take them off at any point for anything?
I have one dress in mind but it may be a little short for this kind of thing ...but then if gowns are being worn it might be ok...:confused:
Would be great if you could share your matriculation experiences!
Thanks x
Basically for men it's usually suits (dark preferably) and for women skirt or trousers and some form of blouse with jumper/cardi/suit jacket...

I've seen girls wear dresses from ankle high to labia high and any in between. Tbh, think business interview. Not that it's that important at all, just a nice quirk of tradition.
Shuvel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is matriculation totally different in england or something? Matriculation as in your induction/registration at the uni? Everyone just wears casual clothes for induction/registration...some of who havn't slept and pretty hungover... It isn't a huge formal occasion, are you not thinking of graduation? :|
Nelliephant
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
The gowns are more like waistcoats than proper gowns (they aren't the same as graduation gowns). So they will be able to see what you are wearing underneath, don't rely on them too much!
loolypop
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shuvel)
Is matriculation totally different in england or something? Matriculation as in your induction/registration at the uni? Everyone just wears casual clothes for induction/registration...some of who havn't slept and pretty hungover... It isn't a huge formal occasion, are you not thinking of graduation? :|
Naah, at Durham we have to wear gowns and there's a ceremony in the Cathedral etc. It's an old Uni (similar to Oxford/Cambridge) so very traditional and stuff.
MyNameIsDave
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Also, induction/registration would be more akin to the module registration on the Monday or Tuesday of the first week.
Shuvel
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by loolypop)
Naah, at Durham we have to wear gowns and there's a ceremony in the Cathedral etc. It's an old Uni (similar to Oxford/Cambridge) so very traditional and stuff.

Ahhh, fair enough, sorry never heard of that at a uni before, well ignore me then :P My induction day I wore a baggy shirt and jeans, wasn't exactly presentable
Eimky
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
There's a thread on this in the current students section if you fancy a looky! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1045894
Prudy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Eimky)
There's a thread on this in the current students section if you fancy a looky! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1045894
Hey, I'm an Aidanite if you have any questions!
loolypop
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eimky)
Ahh brilliant!

Thanks guys! x
Eimky
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Prudy)
Hey, I'm an Aidanite if you have any questions!
I've seen you posting alot but never knew you were at St.Aidan's! You should put it in your sig, BE PROUD No questions yet... I'll PM you if any pop up, thanks!
Yarunika
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey sorry, does anyone know if matriculation is compulsory at Durham? I'm not hugely keen on great big gatherings of people
itsConnor_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yarunika)
Hey sorry, does anyone know if matriculation is compulsory at Durham? I'm not hugely keen on great big gatherings of people
Pretty sure it is yeah
BahamutXV
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yarunika)
I don't think it's compulsory but you are encouraged to go.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 29 Jun '20
  • Durham University
    Sat, 4 Jul '20
  • Durham University
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you get study leave?