Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel Maths calc tommorow watch

ReputationRep:
    I reckon that on the higher paper we WILL get the following question because it's been on the syllabus for the past 5 years or something and never come up:

Proove the quadratic formula.

Here goes...

ax2+bx+c=0
    ax2+bx=-c
    x2+bx/a=-c/a
    (x+b/2a)2-b2/4a2=-c/a (That bit is completing the square)
    (x+b/2a)2=(-4ac+b2)/4a2
    x+b/2a=(+ or - √(b2-4ac))/√(4a2)
    Therefore, x=(-b + or - √(b2-4ac))/2a

There you go! a (probably pointless) bit of algebra that HAD BETTER COME UP :mad: otherwise I will shoot myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiBB*)
    meh doing intermediate maths and im worried..
    the mocks were OK for me I got a B but because of last weeks paper im not feeling so confident
    What is the boundary for a B on the intermediate tier anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StriatedCentipe)
    I reckon that on the higher paper we WILL get the following question because it's been on the syllabus for the past 5 years or something and never come up:

Here goes...

ax2+bx+c=0
    ax2+bx=-c
    x2+bx/a=-c/a
    (x+b/2a)2=(-4ac+b2)/4a2

There you go! a (probably pointless) bit of algebra that HAD BETTER COME UP :mad: otherwise I will shoot myself
    im sorry to tell u this but its guaranteed that no way is that question question is not going to come up.

ReputationRep:
    i've got Edexcel Maths Higher Tier tomorrow. i need a minimum of a grade A to do AS Further Maths, but im determined to get an A*. Good Luck to every1!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone, I sure hope it is straight forward.

:tsr:

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck to all. I am aiming for a B in this subject, it's my worst!

ReputationRep:
    Does standard deviation still come up or has that moved to statistics??? I'm doing June 2001 past paper but we did standard deviation in cw so can it come up on the exam?

ReputationRep:
    yes standard deviation can come up.all the statistics didnt come up on non calculator and will come up on calculator one.****!!!!lol

ReputationRep:
    Probably a histogram on the higher paper one has come up on either paper for the past 6 years...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StriatedCentipe)

Here goes...

ax2+bx+c=0
    ax2+bx=-c
    x2+bx/a=-c/a
    (x+b/2a)2=(-4ac+b2)/4a2

what the hell?

Poeple have no f*cking clue how to do that. No way, NO WAY is that coming up. ( our set 1, in a grammar school, which gets 90-100% A* at maths (in set1)), couldn't get that without memorising the whole thing. (or at least the technique of CTS with algebra)

ReputationRep:
    You get given the quadratic formula on a data sheet so it should be no problem wouldm't be there if they don't expect you to know how to use it.

ReputationRep:
    Standard form also seems likely as it didn't appear on the other paper and could come up. http://www.gcsemathspastpapers.com/Fav-Qs.htm a great site.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually hoping that this exam is more difficult than the non-calc. . I'd rather get a mark that I would feel I'd achieved, rather one that is much higher but a false representation of my ability. Still, I want that A* a lot!

Michael

ReputationRep:
    standard deivation is no longer on the gcse sylabus well not for maths anyway deffo not,statistics yeh but not 2mmo's maths they swapped it for that stupidly hard sim equation at the end of the exam....6 marks or so...its mad!

rgrds

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.