The Student Room Group

Optometry without A2 Chem?

Okay,
So my problem is that out of all my AS's (Bio, Psychology, Chemistry, and Geography (which I was meaning to drop in A2) - I failed AS Chemistry :frown:

My sixth form will not let me go into A2 Chemistry either, due to me failing. And I have begged and begged but they won't budge.
Now I'm stuck doing geography along with my other 2 passed A2s but I can't stand geography and it's getting me really depressed. So now I'm considering applying as an external candidate in an exams centre (regardless of how much the cost will be)
But this is only IF I would absolutely need to do A2 Chem.

So I was wondering that.. if I was just to retake AS Chem and get a grade A, could I still apply to study BSc Optometry?
or is A2 Chem vital and I would therefore need to apply for the exam as an external applicant?
Or perhaps a foundation course? What are your thoughts, anyone?
Could I still do Optometry with an AAB in Bio, Psychology and Geography?

Any suggestions are sincerely appreciated. Because I really want to do Optometry and ever since results day I've been very depressed because of this.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Pretty sure you need a2 level chemistry
okay_kay
Pretty sure you need a2 level chemistry

so do you think it's worth me applying to do A2 as an external applicant?
Reply 3
WalkingOnSunshine-x
so do you think it's worth me applying to do A2 as an external applicant?

Depends on how passionate you are on studying optometry. Make sure you phone the admission tutors and ask
Reply 4
Hi
My A Levels are Bio, Psych and ICT- You do need at least two sciences really to do an Optom degree.. however im currently looking into Dispensing Optician courses which can gain you entry onto Optom BSc (sometimes directly onto year 2).
Luckily, i work weekends in an opticians, and they are willing to sponsor me through it all- my boss said this route should only take another 12 months or so- there are definitely other options around- I wouldn't risk your other A2 levels with the added stress of a chemistry retake and A2- it could mean your grades suffer all over.

Hope this helps in some way :smile:
Reply 5
You need Chemistry. Some also demand one out of Physics and Maths so I would not know what to suggest. If it was just chemistry then yeah you could do it externally but Maths or Physics in addition will be abit of a problem.

Aston - AAA - Biology. Mathematics or Physics. A Level Chemistry is acceptable in lieu of Biology or either Mathematics or Physics.
Manchester - AAB - Biology at grade A and (Chemistry at grade A or Physics at grade A or Mathematics at grade A).
Bradford - AAB - Must include 220 points gained from two science subjects or from a science plus Mathematics. (that's basically an A and a B)
Anglia Ruskin - ABB - Grade AB from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics.

That is what UCAS says. Do bare in mind when you apply for 2011 entry the grade requirements may go up because they do seem to be doing so for other medical-related courses.

Good Luck. :smile:
Reply 6
Hi,
I took Chemistry to AS level but progressed to carry on with two sciences to A2. I took AS Chem and A2 Bio, Physics and Psychology and i'm currently taking my first year of Optometry :smile:. Individual Uni's do vary so depends where your heart is set on but i don't think they will rule you out as you are taking other academic subjects
Original post by Tinkabelle
Hi,
I took Chemistry to AS level but progressed to carry on with two sciences to A2. I took AS Chem and A2 Bio, Physics and Psychology and i'm currently taking my first year of Optometry :smile:. Individual Uni's do vary so depends where your heart is set on but i don't think they will rule you out as you are taking other academic subjects

Im trying to make a decision too, i am currently doing 4 a levels and its getting really stressfull especially with the new specification. Im taking a levels in bio,chem,maths and psychology. I am thinking of dropping either chem or psychology but i dont know which one. The problem is im finding chem really hard and ive been getting C's but in psychology ive been getting A's and i want to do optom. What do you think i should drop?

Quick Reply

Latest