Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    No, shut up

(I got fed up of being polite and not listened to, so I decided I'd be rude and not listened to as it's more fun)
    Oh, ok... Well I'm just speaking from personal experience - the only time I didn't pass out was when I had them done one at a time aand with thinner posts.

ReputationRep:
    get it done by a proper peircer. jesus christ dont people know anything..

pay the extra its worth it, most places will give you a lifetime guarantee, or at least a few years to come back and if anything goes wrong with it they'll fix it. mine do, i havent even got my lobes doe just five other things. I'd never let them use a gun and they wouldnt dream of it.

you can't sertilise guns like you can with needles..

pay th full whack and you wont have to complain at all.. they'll also make sure it doesnt hurt you, i've had me *ahem* pierced and it didnt hurt, you think they'd hurt my lobes?? calirs accessories would have no problems hurting me.

get it done properly!!

this something i really feel strongly about.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by twiga)
    Oh, ok... Well I'm just speaking from personal experience - the only time I didn't pass out was when I had them done one at a time aand with thinner posts.
    Did you stop to think why you might've passed out? It's coz guns force the stud through your body, and that can cause you to go into body shock. A thinner stud can slip through less noticably, but then that can cause the "cheeswire effect". Basically, imagine a wire cutting through cheese, and then imagine that your ear is the cheese and the stud is the wire. Ouch.

If you're getting a piercing, go to a good piercing studio. And take something to eat/drink like a mars bar, lucozade etc to keep your blood sugar levels up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Did you stop to think why you might've passed out? It's coz guns force the stud through your body, and that can cause you to go into body shock. A thinner stud can slip through less noticably, but then that can cause the "cheeswire effect". Basically, imagine a wire cutting through cheese, and then imagine that your ear is the cheese and the stud is the wire. Ouch.

If you're getting a piercing, go to a good piercing studio. And take something to eat/drink like a mars bar, lucozade etc to keep your blood sugar levels up.
    I thought it was just because I was a wimp ...

Good advice about the sugar levels etc, did that before I got my belly pierced and it wasn't nearly as bad afterwards in terms as shock as my ears (well I wasn't sick anyway)

ReputationRep:
    I got mine done at a hospital. My mum's a doctor so yeah. It was pretty good though, no infection or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    A thinner stud can slip through less noticably, but then that can cause the "cheeswire effect". Basically, imagine a wire cutting through cheese, and then imagine that your ear is the cheese and the stud is the wire. Ouch.

the cheesewire effect happened with an old cartilage piercing of mine because it wasn't thick enough metal.

sorry juno, you're wrong about a marsbar. this'll just cause a crash in your blood sugar an hour later. a banana will release the energy over a long period of time and you won't have a slump

ReputationRep:
    Cheesewire. *cringes*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    the cheesewire effect happened with an old cartilage piercing of mine because it wasn't thick enough metal.

sorry juno, you're wrong about a marsbar. this'll just cause a crash in your blood sugar an hour later. a banana will release the energy over a long period of time and you won't have a slump
    If you have it about 10 mins before the piercing that should be ok...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lozza)

For immediately afterwards a Mars bar is better, especially if you get too excited to eat anything substantial beforehand. If you can eat beforehand then something like a banana is better.

And mostly, unless you've just eaten in which case it doesn't really matter you'll be eating something else in about an hour or so anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali p)
    When you got it done there, did they use a needle or a gun? (until this thread i always though a gun was the only way!)

Well to get my lobes done (at Selfridges) they used a gun. My mum made sure everything was sterile though (she made the girl through the entire process in front of her). They mark the spot on your ear and make sure you're absolutely happy with where the holes will be. Then they take the individually wrapped earrings out of a new package and then pierce your ears. Your ear never even touches the gun, just the earrings.

Personally, the majority of my friends have had their ears pierced at Selfridges and none of them have had any complaints, so i'd definitely recommend Selfridges. I think the price was worth it, as they're really patient, unlike the people i see in shop windows at Claires, which just looks awful.

However if you really want somewhere that uses a needle, there are probably lots of other good places around.

ReputationRep:
    yeah for christ sake, do not get it done with a gun, you are asking for a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    i have had no problem with a gun, they healed in around 2 weeks and never got infected. the one i had with a neddle did get infected and took about 6 months to heal. the gun does not go through your ear, its the ear ring and that comes out of a sterilised pack. guns are fine as long as you don't use them too far up the ear.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by theinsanityofme)
    i have had no problem with a gun, they healed in around 2 weeks and never got infected. the one i had with a neddle did get infected and took about 6 months to heal. the gun does not go through your ear, its the ear ring and that comes out of a sterilised pack. guns are fine as long as you don't use them too far up the ear.
    No. I've said earlier (may be in this thread but maybe somewhere else) that if I have a blunt pencil and use enough force then I could pierce your ear. However, that does not mean that a blunt pencil should be used for piercing!

A piercing uses a blunt stud and forces it through your ear. This tears the skin, so it will take longer to heal and be more likely to get infected. Also, the force can cause you to go into body shock, especially when you consider it is normally younger children who get their ears pierced this way.

You may have had an OK experence. However, I've crossed roads without looking! It doesn't mean everyone who does will be OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali p)
    I have decided (at long last) that this summer i am going to get my ears pierced partly based on the fact that i can't stop finding earring that i want to buy and wear! However, i have no idea where is good (I live in SW London btw) and how much it costs - does anyone know of a good (and also fairly painless) place to get it done, and how much it might cost??? Thanks very much
    I got the top of my ear pierced at Claire's and it was fine- only cost £12 I think.

ReputationRep:
    I had mine pierced when I was little (5 yrs old) at a gold smiths I was pertified but it didnt really hurt that much, btw I had the gun thing.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    guns are fine for the lower ear but if you do it where theres cartilage, it will shatter. most people i know pay about £15 2 have their ears pierced.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    *loses the will to live*

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger I had my lobes done at Clare's.. but one was completely in the wrong place so I let them close up. Grr. Then my friend pierced the upper cartilage part of my right ear, and lower down on my left ear, just with a sharp earring. They're fine. I also attempted to pierce between the lobe and top cartilage on my right ear, but after a while it started swelling so I took the earring out. Guess I'm a bit crap at ear piercing.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.