Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer will suffice. I know there are many reasons for gaining a law degree, but thats NOT the point.

Do you feel that a law degree carries prestige anymore?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I suppose it depends where you get your Law degree from.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the classification and establishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    Depends on the classification and establishment.
    Just like any other degree, which about sums it up.

ReputationRep:
    Of course it carries prestige.

Firstly, the degree itself is generally recognised as a tough, rigourous, highly academic degree.

However, this prestige is influenced by a number of factors, including:

1. The university from which it was gained
    2. The class of the degree

- as are all degrees!

Therefore, relative to degrees in general, Law carries more inherent prestige than most; but this is subject to the obvious limitations of the awarding university and the level of achievement; which are perhaps more significant in the context of Law degrees than Golf Studies degrees.

Overall, law in general has prestige as a degree; but this is subject to an abnormal degree of fragmentation due to the highly competitive nature of the field. Therefore, a highly-classed Law degree from a reputable university will carry huge prestige; but it's lowly-classed counterpart from a mediocre university will lack this to a greater degree than may be expected with less competitive degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Most people have commented on the influence that the degree classification and the awarding institution have on the prestige of the degree.

But were these two factors the same for two degrees, and one was law, it would be most likely that the law degree would carry more prestige than the other.

That was a mouthful & a half...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    But were these two factors the same for two degrees, and one was law, it would be most likely that the law degree would carry more prestige than the other.
    Depends for which purpose. Surely a Vetinary Medicine graduate woud be more useful to a Vetinary Practise than a Law graduate...

ReputationRep:
    oooh! hidden results!, yeh i think it carries prestige, its shows real itellect, i think its a bit of a silly poll to ask in the Law section, not many law students are gonna say no, although, you never know

ReputationRep:
    Law is at one of the most competitive subjects at undergad level, and asks for higher A level results than ANY other subject (well, at least AS high...but at UCL for instance, even for Medicine they only ask for AAB..!).

Having the chance to read law is pretty special!

the workload for law is also higher than for most other subjects...

So ceteris paribus (the aforementioned uni rep and degree classification), a law degree is more prestigious than any other degree...

ReputationRep:
    I think there are very few degrees more prestigious than a law degree from a top university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colly)
    I think there are very few degrees more prestigious than a law degree from a top university.
    well, it's one of the oldest and most respected degrees available ...

and a good classification will suggest a strong degree of intellectual capability, motivation and hard work

It depends on the establishment you received the law degree from as to how intellectually vigorous and challenging the degree will be (i.e. the merit of the classification, etc), and how prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    of course a law degree does.

even if you happened to get it from... a highly rated ex-polytechnic, for the sheer fact that you've gone through three years of rigourous study and academia, there'll almost certainly be some prestige. as someone said, more institutions might carry more prestige than others though. also, the class of the degree is important to a certain extent - but a 2:2 from oxbridge would still be prestigious, relative to degrees throughout the whole country.

but as to the "any more" element of the question, i think it still does. there are too many law graduates trying to filter in to the legal profession, but i don't that it means that their degrees are [that] less prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    Depends for which purpose. Surely a Vetinary Medicine graduate woud be more useful to a Vetinary Practise than a Law graduate...
    Yeah but we're not talking about that are we? We're just considering general prestige.

ReputationRep:
    The results of this Poll are hidden for the time being.
    interesting....
    you can look at the results before you vote (and see that, surprise surpise the Yes is winning by far, No having only one vote!) yet once you have voted it's hidden...

interesting interpretation of 'hidden' there!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but we're not talking about that are we? We're just considering general prestige.
    Well it seems that you are ascribing prestige to the course because it is more rigorous and academic than other courses - this isn't really the case. I would say a degree in law (not being able to practice law itself which is different), by that token, is no more prestigious than a degree in engineering or science at the same university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Well it seems that you are ascribing prestige to the course because it is more rigorous and academic than other courses - this isn't really the case. I would say a degree in law (not being able to practice law itself which is different), by that token, is no more prestigious than a degree in engineering or science at the same university.
    I'm ascribing prestige to the course based on what people generally think seem to of it. Degrees in engineering and sciences are also very prestigious, and the reason for prestige is partly down to the difficulty of the course. I know 'difficulty' is a subjective attribute but I doubt that law students work harder than (most) other university students just for the fun of it.

ReputationRep:
    I know 'difficulty' is a subjective attribute but I doubt that law students work harder than (most) other university students just for the fun of it.
    That's because most students are workshy fops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    That's because most students are workshy fops.
    Uh oh... I'm a workshy fop (whatever a fop is :p: ) :eek: Am I in trouble??

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.