What's the difference between these Psychology courses? Watch

katyscarlettg
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
On ucas it comes up with so many different options for Psychology, including Psychology as a subject on its own. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between them? Here's the ones from the list given by ucas that I'm unsure about:

Applied Psychology
Applied Social Psychology
Behavioural Science
Clinical Psychology
Cognitive Psychology
Cognitive Science
Counselling Psychology
European Social Psychology
Experimental Psychology
Forensic Psychology
Health Psychology
Human Psychology
Social Psychology

Any help would be great, thanks
marshey
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you do straight Psychology it will include a number of those listed. If you chose to do one of them in particular...You will be doing that one in particular, with just a background in other areas of psychology. Shouldn't take you long to do a bit of research on them?
Me Myself I
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Different emphasis on different topics (although if it's a course registered with the BPS (see below) it'll have to include a pretty broad range of psychology topics to qualify for accredited status).

If you're new to Psychology, then picking a straight Psychology degree is probably your best bet (although if you read up on any of these areas and think one looks amazing, then go for it!)

If you want to be an accredited psychologist (as in, do more training after an undergrad. degree and become a psychologist) you need to do a course that is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS).

On the BPS website, you can find information about different branches of the subject, and also what courses are accredited by them.

BPS website
Undergraduate accredited courses
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by katyscarlettg)
On ucas it comes up with so many different options for Psychology, including Psychology as a subject on its own. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between them? Here's the ones from the list given by ucas that I'm unsure about:

Applied Psychology
Applied Social Psychology
Behavioural Science
Clinical Psychology
Cognitive Psychology
Cognitive Science
Counselling Psychology
European Social Psychology
Experimental Psychology
Forensic Psychology
Health Psychology
Human Psychology
Social Psychology

Any help would be great, thanks
Applied Psychology: Usually the same as Psychology, but with a 4th year in industry.

Applied Social Psychology: Again above, but studying only Social Psychology. This wouldn't be BPS accredited and would be a waste of time to study.

Behavioural Science: **** version of Psychology. Tesco-value Psychology.

Clinical Psychology: A branch of Psychology. You can't study this at undergraduate level, except for as a minor at some universities. (I.e. you study purely Clinical in your third year, or 25% of the time.)

Cognitive Psychology: Again, branch of Psych. Don't think you can study this as a straight undergraduate.

Cognitive Science: Waste of time. Tesco-value Psychology

Counselling Psychology: Branch of Psychology. (Make sure it is BPS accredited)

European Social Psychology: Purely social psychology, but perhaps with a language or a year abroad? Not sure.

Experimental Psychology: Pretty much the same as Psychology but with an extra buzz word. I assume these courses fiercely reject any non-experimental research.

Forensic Psychology: A branch of Psychology dealing with criminals/prisons/etc. You can't study this as an undergraduate degree.

Health Psychology: Again, a branch of Psychology dealing with Health. I.e. relations between stress and immunity, dealing with chronic illness, changing behaviours to prevent illhealth etc.

Human Psychology: Sounds like a **** version of Psychology. Tesco-value Psychology
Itchybrain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Applied Psychology: Usually the same as Psychology, but with a 4th year in industry.

Cognitive Science: Waste of time. Tesco-value Psychology

I beg to differ regarding this course http://www.wmin.ac.uk/ecs/page-112

It's also BPS accredited.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Itchybrain)
I beg to differ regarding this course http://www.wmin.ac.uk/ecs/page-112

It's also BPS accredited.
Fair enough. Although it does go to the effort of making the point that it "is one of the few BSc Cog Sci courses that are BPS accredited".
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
look them up

itll have the course details on the websites
olaqwe
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can study forensic psychology as an undergrad degree - I've applied to Portsmouth for it and it is BPS Accredited
Lord Asriel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can study forensic psychology as an undergrad degree - I've applied to Portsmouth for it and it is BPS Accredited
He meant that it won't allow you to practice as a forensic psychologist with the degree alone. The BPS accreditation for undergrad degrees isn't the same as full practitioner status that an MSc/DClinPsy would grant you. The level of accreditation here basically is the same level of accreditation all undergrad degrees get.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (1)
1.39%
No (71)
98.61%

Watched Threads