The Student Room Group

Anybody just sat philosophy and ethics?

I've just done my philosophy and ethics paper, just the synoptic part left to go now, and i think it went ok :smile: How did everyone else find the questions? I thought the philosophy paper was great but the ethics paper annoyed me slightly, i had revised natural law but not intuitionism and emotivism so when the only question on natural law wanted me to combine them i was a bit screwed! In the end i chose a different question which hopefully went ok, the good thing about this exam is that they always have the same topics so i was prepared for something else too.
Reply 1
I've just done Edexcel philosophy and Old Testament/Jewish Bible (Units 7 and 8). The philosophy was fine, I answered the questions on religious experience and the ontological argument. The Old Testament was fine as well, I did the Solomon and Amos questions, although I ended up writing a lot for for the Solomon question.
Reply 2
I did the same questions as you in the philosophy paper :top:
Hey,
I just did this, I thought that the Ontological Argument question was a breeze, I also did the Religious Language question (since I'd foolishly not revised Religious Experience) but we'd never done life and death as a topic so I'm not sure how I've done on that.

As for Ethics, we've focused quite heavily on Ethical Language so I did the question relating to the problems including meaning and the is-ought gap. I also did Aquinas under the Deontological Ethics question because I'm not a big fan of Kant!

What topics are you doing on Synoptic?
Hey, I just sat that paper. I opened up the paper and almost cried i thought the questions were atrocious. However, when i looked at them again i thought, hey these are actually quite easy. I answered Ontological and Religious Language. The questions didn't follow the pattern they'd done for the past few years. The bit about life after death in the RL question threw me at first but then i discusses Donn Cupitt and D Z Philips and language games, non-realist interpretations of 'eternal life' and it was all gravy.

The Old Testament paper was a gift; i answered Solomon and Jeremiah, i couldn't believe how good the questions were!!!
I actually failed the Philosophy paper - it was appalling. I answered the Ontological Argument (lovely question, didn't do too bad), but the other one I had prepared for was religious language and NOT life after death. Still, I had to do it anyway. I talked about falsification in the first part - nothin special but I must've got some of it right - and then only wrote half a side for part b. I ran out of ideas about the implications of falsif for belief in life after death after literally a paragraph...I was forcing myself to keep writing even though I had nothing to say, but I didn't even know where my sentences were going as I was just making **** up. :frown:

Ethics was probably ok - I did Kantian deontology and the problems of religious language, though from the looks of other posts it seems I wrote about different things to some of you lot. I can never predict how an ethics exam went though, so no idea how I did. Not as bad as philos though I bet!

Aaargh that question just completely threw me :frown: :frown: :frown:

ZarathustraX
Reply 6
Well done all of you - I presume you lot are doing Edexcel? I'm doing OCR A2...so that will be confronting me next week (arggh). But I think we have similar stuff on the syllabus (Philosophy - Life After Death, Body and Soul, Rel Language and Religious Exp/Miracles.) And Ethics - Conscience, Free Will, theories and a religion applied to Sexual Ethics, Environmental Ethics, War, Peace and Justice, Medical Ethics/Practical Ethics from AS...
Reply 7
Zarathustra

Aaargh that question just completely threw me :frown: :frown: :frown:

ZarathustraX

Nyeh, most of the best philosophy that gets written is making it up as you go alone. Everybody has a philosophy, just mostly its not analysed very often. But it does mean that often what you see as rambling and throw away statements can often be decent philosophy. I'd wait and see what you get before you stress much more. Philosophy exams are stupidly hard to predict. :cool:
Reply 8
I did edexcel exam, and did the ethics paper not the old testiment.
It didn't go too badly, not as well as i hoped but i knew the answers...i think!
How's everyone revising for the synoptic and what questions are you doing?
I have an answer which i prepared and had marked by our head of dept, im learning that one off by heart; question is always the same. Im doing the one about the 'natures of god in the OT bible do not provide adequate proof...' blah blah i hate this course!
StuartYates
I also did the Religious Language question (since I'd foolishly not revised Religious Experience) but we'd never done life and death as a topic so I'm not sure how I've done on that.

Out of interest, which language theory did you choose and what kind of things did you say? Because I did that one too and was completely stumped...:redface:

ZarathustraX
Reply 11
OOh I did the philosophy paper yesterday, was so cool! the Religious experience question was fantastic!

I also did the Hinduism paper? Anyone else do that?
Zarathustra: I did Language Games for the first part because I can ssay loads about that. For the second part I chose the Verification Principle, purely because of Hick's Eschatological verification (i.e. if I love on when I die then I will know the truth, everything will be verified). I think I mentioned something else too, I can't quite think what right now, I think it was just something that came to me in the exam.... I really hope it went ok!

I've just read your other post and saw that you did falsification for both... I read into it that you could do two separate language theories... I hope that's ok! lol

Oh, and for the synoptic I'm doing the Ethical and Religious Language questions....lots I still have to remember!!!

Good luck everyone!

Latest

Trending

Trending