Turn on thread page Beta

Withdrawing from uni course before starting it - student loan?! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've just decided to decline the offer I had accepted from Reading and take a year out to reapply to Oxford. However, all my loan stuff is sorted out, so do I just phone them and get them to cancel the loan or what?! Does this happen very often, has anyone on here ever been in this position?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You can phone them, it'd be polite to and wil probably prevent any confusion when you apply again next year...but even if you don't you can't pick up your loan etc without turning up to uni - uni's either contact the SLC to say you've arrived and then the SLC sends the money into your account or you pick up a loan cheque when you register at uni - so either way you can't end up with the money unless you actually go.
    Ah, ok - thanks! I won't have to pay anything, right? Also, do I phone the SLC or my LEA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Has your application been processed? If so you'll probably need to ring both - the SLC for your loan and the LEA for your tuition fees (even if you're not getting any help with tuition fees it's better if they know that you wont be going this year so they don't get confused next year)
    Yeah, it's all been processed and approved, so I'll ring both. Is there any deadline?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Nope - like I say even if you didn't tell them at all you wopuldn't get the money...but if you tell them well in advance of registration day at your (ex)uni then you should help prevent them getting confused
    Ok, thanks very much for your help!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.