Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently 17 and doing A2 levels at secondary school.

I'm doing, Biology, Chemistry, Math, F.math.
    I want to base my career in the health sector, prefferably choosing a course in medicine.

At the end of my A-levels, I will be choosing my courses, and the universities which I want to apply to.
    I really want to apply to Warwick uni, as its near me, and is very good. But I've been hearing that medicine at Warwick uni is only allowed to those who have got a science degree.

Does that mean that I would need to do a degree first, to get into medicine at Warwick Uni?

Please help.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    As I understand it you can only apply to Warwick for the 4 year postgrad course, so yeah you need a 1st or 2.1 degree in a biological sciences based degree

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/medicine/

gives a little more information about the warwick med course.
    bear in mind you'd be living near home for at least those four years, then have to do foundation years (old PRHO) at an "approved" hospital (approved by the university at which you study) and then have to progress through the medical ranks, so you could end up living near home for years really.
    Thought about checking out the medical section of TSR?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/f43.html

You'll probably get your thread moved over there, but if you post again I'll give you another helpful answer

Adam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corkskrew)
    As I understand it you can only apply to Warwick for the 4 year postgrad course, so yeah you need a 1st or 2.1 degree in a biological sciences based degree

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/medicine/

gives a little more information about the warwick med course.
    bear in mind you'd be living near home for at least those four years, then have to do foundation years (old PRHO) at an "approved" hospital (approved by the university at which you study) and then have to progress through the medical ranks, so you could end up living near home for years really.
    Thought about checking out the medical section of TSR?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/f43.html

You'll probably get your thread moved over there, but if you post again I'll give you another helpful answer

Adam
    Thanks for that very helpful.
    Now the only problem being that I've got less then 1 more year until applying to the uni, would it be advised to work really hard and put all the effort in doing good in my A2 exams, or would it be better to try and balance out and try getting work experience in a hosiptal for example.
    I'm thinking of doing voluntary work, would this help?

My overall AS level exams have been good.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do medicine I wouldn't rely on the graduate entry programmes - they are much more competitive than the 5 year courses and so its not guarenteed that you would get a place despite having a degree.

I'd get work experience, though not so much that would interfer with your A levels, and apply for medicine next year. You can always put two science courses down in reserve and those could be at Warwick if you still wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help!

ReputationRep:
    Year Warwick is GEP only - warwick is part of Leciester-Warwick Medical School. The 5 year course is taught at Leicester (along with the healthcare professionals GEP).

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.