Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ribomania)
    NE 1 want cheap tickets.........

My Dads mate is a senior in Geldoffs official screen company..........
    If only you were serious ;-)

ReputationRep:
    They're putting screens in 'major cities' I was just wondering whether either Southampton or Winchester will be counted as a major city. If not then the closest one to me will be London, and I don't see the point in travelling all that way just to watch a screen. I could do that at home.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people saying that it's ok to sell the tickets?? These people have text live8 for tickets and won them SOLEY BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SELL THEM ON EBAY FOR A HUGE PROFIT. It is disgusting, and I'm glad Ebay have stopped letting them sell them. I can't believe that some people had that in mind, it's so morally wrong. Arg it makes me SICK.

ReputationRep:
    the one thing i dont get about live8is that its supposed to be for afican ppl - but why is there going to be only one african person in the whole thing, and why is it only white ppl are playing in the english concert, they say that its down to popularity but thats really bull ****, there are so many black artists out there.
    Im all for chairty and all but geldof........i really jsut want to nut him sometimes, he wants everyone to take a week off to march to Edingborough, if ppl did that they would probs get the sack....geldof says if its helps then its worth it but what has he got to loose, he's a millionaire so he cnt exactly loose his job...... and as the bbc have documented on he's media obsessed.... he has good ideas sometimes but he doesnt but doesnt put enough thought into the, like with the Live 8 concert, didnt think of the reprecussions of it all
    I reckon someone new is needed, someone that isnt so media obsessed and that doesnt look like their on drugs lol

ReputationRep:
    Just to summaries about this ebay thing:
    - ebay have stopped selling them
    - the reason they were so high is coz bob g asked ppl to bet millions on them and not pay
    - hes an idiot if he didnt realise this was gona happen to be honest lol

ReputationRep:
    Before the concert I read in a statement from Geldof that he would take legal action if any tickets appeared on Ebay or anyhting to that approximation. This of course could of jsut been an empty thread, or who knows now Ebay may take action.

I think its stupid to Sell them of for profit. Its jsut taking advantage of the fact people want to be part of such a huge event connected with a good cause and profiting from it.

Ah well.. Lets see If I can get some for Eden one

ReputationRep:
    if he really wanted tickets not to be sold over ebay then he should have done what Glastonbury (or however u spell it lol) do and print the names on the tickets and then when u go to the concert u have to take proof of ID and proof or your address if you want to get in

ReputationRep:
    They could easily have done that, I also believe the whole thing was another publicity stunt, but fair play to him. I think it's morally wrong too, Geldof was saying on the news that they could easily have put tickets on sale for hundreds each and they'd have all sold, but they wanted to give everyone an equal chance of attending.

If these touts hadn't texted with the sole intention of putting them up for sale for a quick profit, more people who actually wanted to attend could have done so.

ReputationRep:
    I think that if you payed for the tickets fairly like everyone else thru texting then u have the right to do woteva u want with them.
    Don't tell me that people on ebay are the only people who will make money out of live8:
    The bands - will make thousands out of album sales afterwards
    Transport companies - make loads out of the masses of people that will be travelling to london.
    Hotels/restaurants in london
    O2 - how many sales do u think theyre hoping to get as people go pick up their tickets.
    Random celebrities - endorsing live8 just to get their faces on tv - appearance fees?
    Vendors- people are going to want food and drinks rite?

These people stand to make thousands, whereas people on ebay look to make a few hundred at the most, without taking any money away from the charity. If anything the charity is only losing out now ticket sales are banned because now ebay won't donate money for every ticket sold like they had agreed.

I think people that deplored ebay should use their own money to make up the lost donations. I can't really see that happening. Bob geldolf is just spiting himself to maintain his loser reputation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kavanne)
    Look at all the people sabotaging Live 8 ticket sales :-o

http://search.ebay.co.uk/live-8-tick...dZ300QQsalicZ3

-Kavanne
    Ok this is probably gonna make people disagree with me, seeing as you mostly seem to think it's ok that people are selling tickets on eBay. :argh: :mad: I just have to say that I am so disgusted at the greedy people who find it necessary to try sell the Live 8 tickets which they got for FREE (ok excluding the cost of texting) which aims to raise money for a good cause. What is this country coming to?!? The amount of people who have put these tickets on eBay is a disgrace, and I am glad that enough people have bid ridiculous amounts (£10,000,000) in order for the big cheeses of eBay to take note and remove all these items from bidding. Lets hope that Live 8 does in fact raise a lot of money and awareness for the worthy needs, and doesn't help line the pockets of the selfish people who have simply seen this concert as a means of profit, instead of the altruistic, kind and noble act that it really is.

For example this greedy woman: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...539912639&rd=1 (it might have got taken off ebay by the time this message it posted) but she refuses to take any less that £1000, asks for no 'timewasters' to contact her with any lower offers, and does not mention anything about donating to charity...I'm just glad someone has bid a HUGE amount, that'll show her!

Ok.....rant over...serene...calm...peace :angel:

ReputationRep:
    I have to disagree with alot of you. Yes, it is wrong to sell live 8 tickets on Ebay to make money for yourself, bu there were alot of people selling their tickets and giving the money to charity. If I had won some live 8 tickets I would have sold them on Ebay and given all the money I made to charity, as I know that there are lots of people who would want to go to live 8 more than me. By forcing Ebay to stop all live 8 ticket trading, Bob Geldof has potentially prevented alot of money from going to charity. Also, I think it is quite hypocritical of him to make the live 8 tickets free - i seem to remember in one of his speeches he said something like 'just give us your money.' Why then, has he not priced tickets at around £25, the price most people pay to go and see rock concerts? If 'every penny counts' I don't see how making the tickets free is helping. I know that the main aim of this concert is to raise awareness about poverty in africa, but, to be honest, you'd have to be pretty oblivious to be unaware of the situation. If people had to pay for the tickets, the concert would still raise as much awareness as if the tickets were free.

Oh and another thing, I have a feeling that most people are going to live 8 to see the bands they like.....not to raise awareness.

ReputationRep:
    Its still there. HA someone bid 2 000 000, but now its gone to 5000.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. It's pathetic. I wouldn't go to that thing, even if Pink Floyd are reforming. People can't be arsed to give to charity the rest of the time, but get a few singers together and they're swarming all over the place and feeling good about themselves. Why don't they join a volunteer group and get their hands dirty, the lazy sods?

ReputationRep:
    get over it - oh well it was always gonna happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigmy Goat)
    get over it - oh well it was always gonna happen

Get over what?

ReputationRep:
    Ticket touting, I think.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the point of Live8 was to raise awareness and not money. Some auctions were going to donate all the money to a charity (that's what was stated and proof of the donation was promised) So what's really wrong with that? Live8 weren't going to get any money from the ticket as they'd already handed it out and a charity would have been at least £200 or so better off. Everyone wins?

A different story for those who intended to keep the money for themselves though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverurie Jones)
    Meh. It's pathetic. I wouldn't go to that thing, even if Pink Floyd are reforming. People can't be arsed to give to charity the rest of the time, but get a few singers together and they're swarming all over the place and feeling good about themselves. Why don't they join a volunteer group and get their hands dirty, the lazy sods?

:congrats:

Pink floyd reforming live 8?

now that would be interesting...

ReputationRep:
    Awareness of what? The fact that some countries are poor? We all knew that. At least I hope we did...

ReputationRep:
    I think live8 should have sold the tickets - this would have raised awareness and raised money - although ticket touting would still happen it wouldn't be so bad - I would have paid a lot of money for a pair of tickets - the fact it was txtin put me off and i ran out of credit soon enough

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.