Turn on thread page Beta

OCR B = Rotating field motors and Fleming's hand rules. watch

ReputationRep:
    The book has confused me big time on rotating field motors. (Advancing Physics A2 pg.139) How do you get the field to rotate in the stator? And where do the coils go that carry away the alternating output?

Or even better can someone just explain everything about how a rotating field motor works? I find it hard to translate the book sometimes. XD Any help would be very appreciated, thankyou.

Also, what is the difference between Fleming's left hand and right hand rules and how do you know which one to use?

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and is the transformer rule Vs/Vp = Ns/Np as the book says or Vp/Vs = Np/Ns as the revision CD says?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmatboy)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and is the transformer rule Vs/Vp = Ns/Np as the book says or Vp/Vs = Np/Ns as the revision CD says?
    I'm not doing OCR, so I don't have the book, and nor do I refer to anything as a rotating field motor so I'm not 100% sure what you mean there. Also I tend not to think of the Flemming rules as two separate rules so I won't confuse you if you do, but...

Vs/Vp = Ns/Np

Vp/Vs = Np/Ns

Just think about this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spenceman_)

Vs/Vp = Ns/Np

Vp/Vs = Np/Ns

Just think about this one.
    ... oh yeah... LOL XD Whoops, silly me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmatboy)
    The book has confused me big time on rotating field motors. (Advancing Physics A2 pg.139) How do you get the field to rotate in the stator? And where do the coils go that carry away the alternating output?

Or even better can someone just explain everything about how a rotating field motor works? I find it hard to translate the book sometimes. XD Any help would be very appreciated, thankyou.

Also, what is the difference between Fleming's left hand and right hand rules and how do you know which one to use?

Thanks.

Vs/Vp = Ns/Np or Vp/Vs = Np/Ns

They are the same thing, they are just ratios!

Induction motor, there's a good summary of what they are on the p140 of that A2 Advancing physics book.

Basically, the relative motion of the rotating magnetic flux in the stator and rotor induces an large current in the rotor.

(if the magnetic flux in the rotor was rotating at the same rate as the rotor no current would be generated - this is why this doesn't happen)

The large current in the rotor causes 'poles' to be set up in the rotor

These pole are attracted to the 'poles' on the stator (see the diagram on p.140 and you'll get what i mean)

This attraction force generates a force that causes the motor to rotate.

Btw, i'm not learning those hand rules... i never seen a question on it!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.