Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I really needed to talk to someone about Classical Civilization. My school has made it compulsory. I just wanted to know whether universities respect this A-level subject and whether it would be advised for a law course. My dilemma is that I had alsready chosen 5 A-levels before my school told me I had to choose one out of Moder Greek, Classical Greek and Classical Civilization. Now, since I doubt I will be able to do 6, I will have to drop one subject out of Chemistry, Economics, Literature, Maths and History. But which subject should be replaced? They all have a good reason for being on my list. I would greatly appreciate the views of anybody who has done/is doing this subject.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think classical civ is regarded as a doss, im doing it next year for as. it varies your personality so your not so narrow. i would drop literature or history as both aren't needed to keep your options open and class civ is along the same lines.

ReputationRep:
    Are you being serious? Literature and History are the two main subjects that I am going to take at A-level! I would have thought that the choice should be between Economics and Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Well, its not a doss subject, but it is no where near as taxing as economics or politics for me. I dont think that unis would favour the subject above a language or especially latin and greek and it wouldn't get u noticed, applyng for law. Saying that my whole class last year got A's in the AS. If you want an A for little work I;d take it.

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is 'wow! your school sounds awesome!' I wish my school made classical Greek compulsery!

It's certainly not a doss if you actually want a good grade, Chemistry probably wouldn't be particularly necessery for Law so if you like history and literature you could drop that? Yeah, universities do accept it as a legitimate subject.

ReputationRep:
    i was just sayin that if u did chemistry, classics, economics and lit or hist you could still apply for stuff like medicine, finance or law. ur choice tho?

ReputationRep:
    I would drop Chemistry or Economics, but if you have any thought at all of doing something science- or business-related at uni, then...I don't know, maybe drop Maths? Classical Greek is better regarded than Class Civ, especially as fewer schools offer it, but Class Civ is a lot of fun. It has a reputation among students as a doss subject, but many people end up finding it quite hard because of the amount you have to read and all the essays you have to read. Easier than History though!

ReputationRep:
    I've got a classics exam this afternoon, a2 not as, and it's no where near a doss. You gotta read loads so it always helps if you like to read.
    All the uni's i applied for were impressed that i did it coz they didn't see many people that did and in one of the they said it would be an advatnage to me as (i'm gonna train to be a primary school teacher) they said ti would be a great help when I have to teach the greeks.
    Saying that it really depends what you wanna do at uni as to what you drop, you gotta think what you really don't need for the course and drop that subject

ReputationRep:
    Classics is my easiest subject. My class never does anywork, never revisies, we chat about the book in lessons. Despite this we all have excellent grades. Classics is a doss subject. you only have to read 2 books and 6 plays!!! I think you do more for one english module!

ReputationRep:
    Classics is highly regarded by universities, especially the traditional ones. While some people may find it easy, it just depends on where your skills lie. It's not considered a "doss" subject by universities, and goes very well with a degree like law or history.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, how can they make any subject compulsory at A-Level? That's craziness, lol, and pretty mean!

I so wanna do Classics, but the school I'm going to won't offer it (even though the head is a Classics graduate?!)...if they offered it I'd drop Philosophy to do it, is there a big difference in hardness between Philosophy and Classics? I have the idea Classics'd be a lot more interesting.

Anyway, sorry! Well, personally I would think about dropping Chemistry because that's a seriously hard A-Level and if you're already doing 4 others and a tough one in Maths, it'd be a lot of work. Basically it depends on what you want to do at university - science or arty? If science, drop one of the arts - maybe the one you find harder or get a lower grade in, unless you're equally good at both of them. If arts, drop Maths or Chemistry, whichever you least enjoy.

It really sucks you have to drop one of your subjects, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Classics is amazing-I'm an undergraduate in this subject at Nottingham University so if anyone has any problems feel free to drop me a line and I'll try to help. : )

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.