The Student Room Group
Reply 1
A few years ago we had the most applicants. We were smug. It was a good time. That has now switched to Worcester.

All how competitive a college is changes is how likely you are to get into that college. It shouldn't affect how likely you are to get into Oxford. Applications change for each college every year, and there's little point trying to analyse them.

Apply wherever the hell you want.
The pooling system ensures that entry to all colleges is fair - but it's not perfect, but then again what is?

Fyi, hard or not, if you're not good enough, they won't accept you.

They want the best of the best.
For sciences in particular, the admissions system is geared towards minimising the effect of your choice of college on your overall chance of getting in to Oxford. Choose whichever college you think will make you happiest - Balliol has the advantage of the lovely Piers Nye in Physiology.
Reply 4
I'm in the same situation - also applying for Physiological Sciences, and also want to go to Balliol (almost purely for Dr Nye)!
I guess most people applying for PS will apply to Balliol.
There are plenty other great colleges though that are good for PS so not too fussed (although Balliol would have been awesome).
Better start learning for the BMAT if I even have a chance of getting an interview!
Reply 5
Balliol is very hard to get into. We've covered the entrances with razor wire.
Reply 6
cpchem
Balliol is very hard to get into. We've covered the entrances with razor wire.

That's nothing compared to Magdalen.

Artist's impression of the Magdalen Flak Tower during interview period 2008: http://www.yorktownsquare.com/img/020408-sub-blaw-knox-3.jpg
Reply 7
Hi Jess19!!
Nice to know there's another physiologist on here :smile: which other unis are you applying to and for what subject?
Reply 8
Great, just sent off my UCAS and I'm applying to chemistry at Balliol, lol.
Reply 9
Rasta_Pasta
Hi Jess19!!
Nice to know there's another physiologist on here :smile: which other unis are you applying to and for what subject?

Hey :smile:
I'm also applying to Imperial for Biomed
UCL for Neuroscience
Bristol for Neuroscience
Then either Cardiff/Manchester/Southampton for Neuroscience/Biomed
Was just told that the Oxford application can be sent off separately to the others so they won't know its obviously my first choice (and also gives me more time to decide which ones I want to apply to :biggrin: ).
Quite nervous I'm sending off my Oxford application TOMORROW!
Where else are you applying?
Reply 10
TigerJack
Great, just sent off my UCAS and I'm applying to chemistry at Balliol, lol.

Very good move :biggrin:
Reply 11
Jess19
Hey :smile:
I'm also applying to Imperial for Biomed
UCL for Neuroscience
Bristol for Neuroscience
Then either Cardiff/Manchester/Southampton for Neuroscience/Biomed
Was just told that the Oxford application can be sent off separately to the others so they won't know its obviously my first choice (and also gives me more time to decide which ones I want to apply to :biggrin: ).
Quite nervous I'm sending off my Oxford application TOMORROW!
Where else are you applying?

I'm applying to Bristol and Nottingham for Neuroscience and I've got offers from Cardiff for Biomed (neuro) and Leeds for Neuro....

Just doing a bit of last minute preperation for the BMAT now.....

Bit nervous about that :s
Huw Davies
Balliol has the advantage of the lovely Piers Nye in Physiology.

And Wadham has the advantage of Stephen Goss for the medics. :love:
Reply 13
is there anything to back up this assertion, or is just usual chit-chat :blah:
Reply 14
Fluké
is there anything to back up this assertion, or is just usual chit-chat :blah:

There are the application statistics, which some people have access to, which would probably confirm that Balliol is a popular choice (partly, I suspect, because it's the first listed college :sigh:) but, as others have already said, it's not the most popular college any more.

Latest

Trending

Trending