Turn on thread page Beta

Does a short course count as a full GCSE? watch

ReputationRep:
    ive just done the RE Short Course for AQA and ive been told by someone its just worth half a GCSE.. man i dont understand that lol :confused:

can anyone put light on this

thanks

ReputationRep:
    lol i dont understand either....were in the same boat cause i dont have a clue lol! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    It's just worth half a GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    lol but how is it worth just half a GCSE thats what we wanna know lol!!!!! :p: xoxo

ReputationRep:
    becuase it is a short course, you have only done half the full syllabus of stuff, youve only done half the amount of work/coursework/exam papers. and so it technically is only a half gcse, becuase it is short course and not full course, like maths, english, sciences, etc...

but on cv's and stuff you dont need to put short course so it doesn't matter you just put it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mtbab)
    but on cv's and stuff you dont need to put short course so it doesn't matter you just put it down.
    Exactly, only colleges and uni's will know its short course...job's wont know!

ReputationRep:
    yea tanny gal ... u c evryone who ive approached so far cant explain why... since when we had HALF GCSE 's ... i mean when i go on an interview what am i going to say " Sir! i have 12 and a half GCSE's !" lol sorry to be so crazy about dis but you understand when you get myths going around (lets hope its a myth) !

whats next: a 1/4 of a GCSE?????

ReputationRep:
    exactly!!!

whats the point calling it half in the first place... o well atleast the when applying 4 a job they wont care... ill say i got 13

cheers

ReputationRep:
    lol prob not, but a 1/4 a-level wouldnt surprise considering AS is half a-level, imagine short course as-levels

ReputationRep:
    lol... this education system reeks

dont u think?

lol

ReputationRep:
    its got its flaws i suppose but so has everythin

i'm saying i'm getting 13gcses when really i'm getting 11 and two halves in R.e(which i did last yr (A*)), and ict

ReputationRep:
    The reason it's called a short course is because the syllabus you follow is only half the work of a normal GCSE, so it's only counted as half a GCSE. Sixth forms/colleges will know this, and when you apply to university, there's a separate section on the UCAS form for short courses and double awards. I don't think employers are that clued up though, especially as the exam system is always changing and new qualifications are being added all the time, so you might get away with just calling it a GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    thanky you kelly for summing up what had kinda already been said, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qarishahg)
    yea tammy gal ... u c evryone who ive approached so far cant explain why... since when we had HALF GCSE 's ... i mean when i go on an interview what am i going to say " Sir! i have 12 and a half GCSE's !" lol sorry to be so crazy about dis but you understand when you get myths going around (lets hope its a myth) !

whats next: a 1/4 of a GCSE?????
    yeah i know its f***ing crazy! lol :p: or sure why not say sir i have 12 1/2 GCSE's - where the f*** did the half come outta lol!!!! xoxo

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with half GCSEs? :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    The reason it's called a short course is because the syllabus you follow is only half the work of a normal GCSE, so it's only counted as half a GCSE. Sixth forms/colleges will know this, and when you apply to university, there's a separate section on the UCAS form for short courses and double awards. I don't think employers are that clued up though, especially as the exam system is always changing and new qualifications are being added all the time, so you might get away with just calling it a GCSE.
    thank ya kelly and to everyone whos cleared up the mess xoxo

ReputationRep:
    I *think* from what people have told me it's compulsory at most state schools.

So rather than interfere with your education too much they just make you take half of the GCSE and then give you half of one.

Bit silly really.

ReputationRep:
    you did half the work! 2 years = full course, so 1 year = half course (also called short course)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    you did half the work! 2 years = full course, so 1 year = half course (also called short course)...
    Actually we did our short course in RS over the full 2 years, because we only had half a lesson a week.

ReputationRep:
    what the ..

i had a whole lesson evry week for two years what the hell.. and im din short course.. whas gwanon

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.