?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
advice/tips for ocr biology @ AS level
YuDunno
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes please ..all we've done for the past 2 weeks is draw cells..But I'm sure it's going to get harder at some stage
skatealexia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
My tips would to cut the different topics into small revision cards, thats what I do. I make points following the specification so like a) on one card b) on another and make them all colourful and stuff. Review content every so often because its easy to forget, and you need such precise language to get top marks. Learn each things you need, cover the whole specification and you should be fine =D. Personally I don't find it gets harder, its more of a memory test with some tricky questions here and there.
skatealexia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh, and revise from about the beginning of December in small bits =).
yesioo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Mine:
Learn the diagrams quite early. Draw them ect. It makes life alot easier later on.
Go over each topic after you've learnt it and write it out again...keeps it nice and fresh.
Learn it to the spec (although this may just be me!)
Mrs Applewater
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, find the specification, then when exam time comes around get someone to test you on each part. That really helped me. At the moment though, make sure you understand things now, rather than 'I'll just go through it again later'. Topics in the course tend to build on things you learnt earlier, so it can get a bit much. That tripped me up at first.
Also, OCR papers are ridiculous. Really strangely worded questions. Good luck! =D
DJkG.1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If it's any consolation, the beginning few topics on organelles and cytoskeleton is some of the hardest stuff in F211.

F212 doesn't get much harder either, just there is a lot more to know and understand. But don't let the dry topic of organelles make you feel as if you are up against a brick wall in biology.
skatealexia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I liked the organelles and stuff =D. I found the evolution stuff later on head banging against brick wall dry D=.
afhussain
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yep Unit 1 is not too bad and the stuff on the heart and circulatory system is brilliant. If I were you I would seriously aim for like 90%+ on this paper as Unit 1 is where all the easy marks are at. Things get much more difficult with Unit 2; the Biochemistry and Food and Health modules are not too bad but the Biodiversity and Evolution stuff is a real kick in the crotch...thats what let me down....as mentioned before, print off the content checklist from the CD at the back of the book and make sure you hit all the learning outcomes and you should get a good grade. I did this but only began to cover the Biodiversity and Evolution part of the checklist two days before the exam (had to miss my cousins wedding as a result!) and this cost me a grade A/B (was two marks from a B!). Dont know what your college is like but I learnt from last year that Bio lessons are a waste of time and you are best off learning everything in private study...start early and go through all the learning outcomes and you will smash it, guaranteed. Good luck
afhussain
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
And also using different sources of info might be a help rather than using just the OCR textbook cus at times it can get a little confusing and unclear and reading info from different pov helps. Not hitting the OCR Bio book though it was brilliant.
Sato
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
some nice advice, thanks!
YuDunno
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by afhussain)
Yep Unit 1 is not too bad and the stuff on the heart and circulatory system is brilliant. If I were you I would seriously aim for like 90%+ on this paper as Unit 1 is where all the easy marks are at. Things get much more difficult with Unit 2; the Biochemistry and Food and Health modules are not too bad but the Biodiversity and Evolution stuff is a real kick in the crotch...thats what let me down....as mentioned before, print off the content checklist from the CD at the back of the book and make sure you hit all the learning outcomes and you should get a good grade. I did this but only began to cover the Biodiversity and Evolution part of the checklist two days before the exam (had to miss my cousins wedding as a result!) and this cost me a grade A/B (was two marks from a B!). Dont know what your college is like but I learnt from last year that Bio lessons are a waste of time and you are best off learning everything in private study...start early and go through all the learning outcomes and you will smash it, guaranteed. Good luck
Ditto, This is what I have discovered in the first two months, and have now embarked on the torturous task of self teaching the entire course, however my lack of motivation and laziness will fail meeeeeeee =( :woo:
Superdupa
Report 10 years ago
Helppppppppppppp!!

I did start revising a long time ago well at least i thought i was but it was like the half an hour thing
and now my exams are in jan bio chem and pyschology. I had two week holidays and one week which ive just wasted I got about a week and a half left. Does any one think i got a chance and how should i revise and make the most of the time i got left. I really want to do well but it seems im making the same mistakes as i did at gcse.

I know some of the major concepts but every time i try a past paper it seems im introduced to something totally new .
and alsoo does anyone ever feel that your friends just lie that they didnt do any revision just to make you feell like you dont have to do anything.
*snowflake*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Is anyone else slightly panicking about the Jan exam...? :p:
How is everyone revising? I've typed up all my notes and now everything seems to be revolving around post-its, haha. Still can't get my head around mass flow and the fluid mosaic stuff :confused:

Hope it's going well for everyone! There doesn't seem to be many people doing OCR, everyone seems to be on AQA...
FutureMedic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ticking off pieces of the specification as i go along... :P
A*PR
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what book(s) are you guys using to revise biology?
Hayder120
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For those of you wanting OCR biology notes for either AS and A2.

Have a look for my post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2632967

your welcome, please if you want to give feedback, complement my teacher, NOT ME.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (166)
66.4%
No (84)
33.6%

Watched Threads