Maths question, help needed Watch

This discussion is closed.
hellohello
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by lesser weevil)
wow, you see it? That's amazing, because when you first posted the question, I knew the answer, but after reading all the replies to your question, I feel thoroughly confused. Talk about wandering round and round in circles to get a simple answer...
haha i thoroughly confused myself as well. i've got it now though, cheers for all the help
motoroller
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
x² - 6x + a = (x + b)²
x² - 6x + a = x² + 2bx + b²
therefore b = -3
and a = 9
tedd3h
Report 13 years ago
For those whove been getting confused...it's a matter of equating the coefficients. Any one of the (many) correct solutions posted is obvious when you realise that you must multiply each power of x by the same number each side of the equation.

(Complex numbers would be a good topic to study if you wanted to become VERY familiar with equating coefficients [i know i did ])
Feria
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think they would expect you to know how to complete the square for this type of question at A level and equate cooeffcients at GCSE...
tedd3h
Report 13 years ago
As would I, but from tutoring maths I've come to realise that topic names to methods are not obvious to everyone. Wanted to make sure people who ddidn't see it immediately at least had a reference to go by :P
Chris.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol, why did so many people answer the question after the first person did it on page 1?

talk about over-complicating an easy problem
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed