Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Animal is hardly orginal...its a parady!

1984 was one of the first books to deal with the totaliarion state in the way it did, and is amazingly well written

However, Wuthering Heights should win - 'If all else perished and he remained, I should still continue to be' *dies*
    Yes, it may be a satir on Russia but, it contains in it masses of detail about Russian communism (at the time and prior to it) that the reader may skim over without knowing...the way it can appeal to both and adult and child is unique...animal farm deals with the concepts of totalitarianism in much more detail than you would be lead to believe...

ReputationRep:
    and 1984 delves into human nature much than you may ever realise...

But still, Wuthering Heights - best best best!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    Yes, it may be a satir on Russia but, it contains in it masses of detail about Russian communism (at the time and prior to it) that the reader may skim over without knowing...the way it can appeal to both and adult and child is unique...animal farm deals with the concepts of totalitarianism in much more detail than you would be lead to believe...
    the book was even being compared in the Times to Mugabe's regime

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I was disappointed by the books that got into the top 21, like 'Little Women' - yawn! and 'The Wind in the Willows' (!?) However, I do think The Catcher in the Rye, 1984, Wuthering Heights and the His Dark Materials trilogy were fantastic books and I'll be happy if any of them win.
    Me, I voted for His Dark Materials!

ReputationRep:
    the book was even being compared in the Times to Mugabe's regime
    animal farm sucks we had 2 read it in seventh grade....i thought i was going to die with boredom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    animal farm sucks we had 2 read it in seventh grade....i thought i was going to die with boredom!
    If you study Russian History, it is ver,very intriguing

ReputationRep:
    If you study Russian History, it is ver,very intriguing
    we did....well I didnt (i did not like miss harkins very much)

ReputationRep:
    Where do I get a copy of this list? I saw 'Tolstoy' in the top 21, just what rank did he get?

ReputationRep:
    it finishes this saturday. my vote went to The Hitchhikers Guide to the Gaxely.

ReputationRep:
    i urge you not to vote in this farcical nonsense. how on earth War and Peace(not even a favourite of mine) can be last in a truly appaling top 21 where all manner of childrens books are placed, is even beyond my wildest disappointment in the average Briton...

on a different note: http://envirotruth.org/president_putin/#bottom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    i urge you not to vote in this farcical nonsense. how on earth War and Peace(not even a favourite of mine) can be last in a truly appaling top 21 where all manner of childrens books are placed, is even beyond my wildest disappointment in the average Briton...
    War and Peace is a boring book.
    It simply isn't that good.
    And i do admit, the inclusion of some books, e.g. harry potter, have been frustrating.
    I am a fan of the hitchikers guide to the galaxy, and i am proud of its position. It is a truly great book, funny, inspirational, but also conciders real possibilities and implications of scientific theories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    War and Peace is a boring book.
    It simply isn't that good.
    And i do admit, the inclusion of some books, e.g. harry potter, have been frustrating.
    I am a fan of the hitchikers guide to the galaxy, and i am proud of its position. It is a truly great book, funny, inspirational, but also conciders real possibilities and implications of scientific theories.
    boring, isnt good. have you read it?

i dont expect it to win, because it is not as accessible as others, but the top 21 is bordering on scandalous...how exactly was it compiled?

ReputationRep:
    boring, isnt good. have you read it?
    I would not make that sort of remark if i hadn't read it.
    I admit, i haven't read all the books out of the top 21 (maybe about half of them, i really couldn't read pride and prejudice etc.), but i remark on War and Peace because i have read it.

ReputationRep:
    i dont expect it to win, because it is not as accessible as others, but the top 21 is bordering on scandalous...how exactly was it compiled?
    It was voted for by the public.
    And the top 21 fairly represents mostly, what is honestly public opinion.
    Although how they could not put Adrian Mole in the final 21 is beyond me!

ReputationRep:
    the top five if i recall is (in no pericully order)

LOTR
    Harry Potter
    Hitch Hikers Guide to the Gaxely
    Wind in the Willows
    (and i've forgotten the 5th)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    the top five if i recall is (in no pericully order)

LOTR
    Harry Potter
    Hitch Hikers Guide to the Gaxely
    Wind in the Willows
    (and i've forgotten the 5th)
    LOTR
    Pride and Prejudice
    HHGTG
    Harry Potter
    Wind in the Willows

ReputationRep:
    fro me ,i will vote for Little Women,actually ,i haven't finished reading it,but it really makes me carry on reading it,it's nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    It was voted for by the public.
    And the top 21 fairly represents mostly, what is honestly public opinion.
    *shakes head*..this country, this country.

ReputationRep:
    LOTR
    Pride and Prejudice
    HHGTG
    Harry Potter
    Wind in the Willows
    thank u

ReputationRep:
    *shakes head*..this country, this country.
    Just because most people prefer Harry Potter to War and Peace, it doesn't mean theres anythin g wrong with this country...
    Well, actually, if its harry potter, yes it does.
    It isn't a rating though of how good the books are, just how popular they are.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.