Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    classic usually means distinct by its high standard. whether you agree with Descartes or Plato is irrelevant...
    do those high standards still hold true today...not to the same degree in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    In your view... perhaps the unmade bed commicates more to someone than a pretty peice of aritechture...
    maybe, but would that same(albeit slightly mad) person honestly say that it required more skill and ability?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    maybe, but would that same(albeit slightly mad) person honestly say that it required more skill and ability?
    I can't disagree with you there, it did require much more skill to make, tecnically etc etc. However, is art/literature purely about if it is more skillful or takes more ablity to do? It is my view that art is what it communicates to the person.

Some of the most profund poetry is simple.

ReputationRep:
    No, but a lot more heroin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    do those high standards still hold true today...not to the same degree in my opinion
    the standards or the works?

ReputationRep:
    What they talked about i admit is highly interesting, however in todays world, todays philsophical thought, the works of them are not considered to be of that high of a standard against todays thought... if you see what I mean?

For there time, they were exceptional

ReputationRep:
    I watched the Turner Prize awards yesterday, so I'd say neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    OH YES I FORGET AND IQ MEANS EVERYTHING!
    no, but being a yuppie opportunist and having drug problems does.
    Please go back to your intellecutal world where you are a genius and you look down on others.
    we never left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    I watched the Turner Prize awards yesterday, so I'd say neither.

If the artist doesnt have a high IQ, like your esteemed self, or have taken drugs at any time, they must be crap! Yeah, tottaly agree!

ReputationRep:
    we never left.
    Maybe you can let Mr White answer for himself?

ReputationRep:
    No, but a lot more heroin.
    oh yea gotta have heroin :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    What they talked about i admit is highly interesting, however in todays world, todays philsophical thought, the works of them are not considered to be of that high of a standard against todays thought... if you see what I mean?

For there time, they were exceptional
    and for that reason we regard them as classics. because what we believe in today was derived from them. the invention of the wheel is not a milestone of human engineering? its pretty average compared to Trevor Bayliss' batteryless radio, but what would rank higher in greatest human feats...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Maybe you can let Mr White answer for himself?
    ooh good comeback

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    If the artist doesnt have a high IQ, like your esteemed self, or have taken drugs at any time, they must be crap! Yeah, tottaly agree!
    That is correct. True art requires intellect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    no, we judge them to be crap on what they produce, not on 'lets get more talentless weirdos into the limelight, to gain more government backing and publicity and sponsorship .

ReputationRep:
    and for that reason we regard them as classics. because what we believe in today was derived from them. the invention of the wheel is not a milestone of human engineering? its pretty average compared to Trevor Bayliss' batteryless radio, but what would rank higher in greatest human feats...
    But its a stupid comparsion to make... those of the past will always be thought of having the greatest feats because they formed the basis of whatever area, the foundation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    But its a stupid comparsion to make... those of the past will always be thought of having the greatest feats because they formed the basis of whatever area, the foundation.
    what makes you think that?

ReputationRep:
    That is correct. True art requires intellect.
    you base that on what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    you base that on what?
    Reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    oh come on. i cant believe your being so pedantic. some works/acheivements stand the test of time, can be appreciated even though we werent the directly intended audience, when they are taken out of their context. they are classics.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.