Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if you got a part time job, would you expect the £/hr to be lower than somebody doing the same thing, except full time?

thanks
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    No, the wages stay the same as they are hourly. The more you work the more you get paid but it's relative.

ReputationRep:
    same wage no matter the shift really. Im on the same rate, and higher then others than members of staff during the week at my job

ReputationRep:
    I get more money per hour working as a casual because I don't get sick leave etc. But part time workers get the same money as full time per hour. My work tries to force school students to go part time over the holidays so they don't have to pay them as much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Special Patrol)
    I get more money per hour working as a casual because I don't get sick leave etc. But part time workers get the same money as full time per hour. My work tries to force school students to go part time over the holidays so they don't have to pay them as much.
    That's actually pretty tight. Was gonna ask where do you work, but you can tell me in PM if you want

Yep, my work's tight too, but in a different way. What they do, is they don't do the whole 'double time' thing and only go up to time-and-a-half, even on public holidays. And I'm a casual too! *shakes head* It's always about money with some people :/

ReputationRep:
    if you got a part time job, would you expect the £/hr to be lower than somebody doing the same thing, except full time?
    Yes.

If you work full-time, you are more valuable to the business and an essential part of their labour force; not to mention opportunities like promotions, pay rises etc. are more frequent and you are more likely to obtain than a part-timer. Part-timers are not so valuable to the business, are more easily replaceable and will have access to less pay rise opportunities, less cause to ask for a rise etc.

Not to mention you have a good chance of getting paid less as you are under 21.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    That's actually pretty tight. Was gonna ask where do you work, but you can tell me in PM if you want

Yep, my work's tight too, but in a different way. What they do, is they don't do the whole 'double time' thing and only go up to time-and-a-half, even on public holidays. And I'm a casual too! *shakes head* It's always about money with some people :/
    I'm working at Wooloworths. We still get double time and a half on public holidays. I'm getting paid about $18 an hour which is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sleep)
    Yes.

If you work full-time, you are more valuable to the business and an essential part of their labour force; not to mention opportunities like promotions, pay rises etc. are more frequent and you are more likely to obtain than a part-timer. Part-timers are not so valuable to the business, are more easily replaceable and will have access to less pay rise opportunities, less cause to ask for a rise etc.

Not to mention you have a good chance of getting paid less as you are under 21.
    it sounds like you have confused part time and full time workers with permenant contract and agency contract workers there. As what you describe is what usually happens with agency workers no matter if they work 37/5 hours or 20 hours per week.

ReputationRep:
    I work for Asda and get £5.06 an hour which is really good for supermarket work. You do get paid less for being under 18 though which isn't very good for a company which claims not to discriminate on age. I work 20 hours a week and get paid exactly the same as someone who does 38 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Danni bella 83, time and half is fine for overtime. In my last job you didn't get paid any extra for overtime worked (ie. over 37.5 hours) and nothing extra for most bank hols (apart from maybe new years eve and another bank hol which I can't remember now).

ReputationRep:
    where i work you dont get any extra for bank holidays and rarely get paid for any overtime you do (staying on to help after your shift shouuld have ended). i wrk as a waitress for a restaurant chain.

annoying thing is that a few people who started before signed onto some old contracts which means that they only do get double rate on holidays.

because they employ tonnes of students (both alevel and uni) they try and press us all to work exta over sch hols, but weve had loads of problems recently cos everyones got exams and wants time off but they just say no!

so now noones turning up for their shift and they have to call in help from other stores. it even gets to the point where the supervisors actually have to get up of their asses and come out of the office to help.

not htat im bitter about my crap job, not at all

ReputationRep:
    My saturday job wage is terrible. For four hours, hard heavy work. I get paid 12 pound,. And for a full 9 hours, i get paid 24 pound. But saturday jobs are so hard to find round my end. So, i dont wanna quit as that = nothing.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.