Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im hoping to do business management at uni but i have a slight problem.

Just about every decent uni requires a grade B or above in maths at gcse the thing was i had a crap teacher and i one point no teacher (supply) therefore i only managed to get a C.

I did take maths at AS level but i dont intend to carry it on till A2 and dont think ill get a decent grade, so i was just wondering if any decent uni's will let me in with a maths gcse (c) and a maths AS (e/u)..

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you get a U, that's not a pass, so you won't have an AS in maths. If you get an E, together with your C at GCSE, that should be enough because clearly if you can pass an AS in maths, you're capable of understanding B-grade GCSE material. I'm not sure though, so you might want to consider resitting GCSE maths next year to try and get a B.

ReputationRep:
    is it possible to retake the maths gcse without having to go to any classes or anything just to take the exam? and with knowledge of the A-level maths im confident i could get an A/A*..

ReputationRep:
    You could ask your school to let you repeat maths as you need a grade B for uni. Just say it's the uni's entrance requirement for you to get a B. However, you need to pay the fees, as they would count that as a resit.

You could apply to other uni's that want grade C in maths though, just as a back up incase you don't get a B.

For the E in maths, I guess it's ok, as you will get a grade B in maths (GCSE) hopefully. I don't think they mind a grade E in AS maths, as the requirements is only GCSE maths at grade B.

ReputationRep:
    It also depends on your other grades...if your other grades are decent (above average) then you may be ok with a C at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bs.uk)
    is it possible to retake the maths gcse without having to go to any classes or anything just to take the exam? and with knowledge of the A-level maths im confident i could get an A/A*..
    I don't see why not. For someone who takes AS maths, attending Intermediate GCSE classes with people who got Ds and below would be a complete waste of time. Just ask your school to enter you for the Higher exam. I think you can take maths resits in November, so you might get your results before applying to uni, or if not then just after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I don't see why not. For someone who takes AS maths, attending Intermediate GCSE classes with people who got Ds and below would be a complete waste of time. Just ask your school to enter you for the Higher exam. I think you can take maths resits in November, so you might get your results before applying to uni, or if not then just after.
    Yeah. I re-sat my GCSE maths in the November of the same year that I took my GCSEs (2003) and went up a grade.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't just rely on A level knowledge by the way - I'm (fingers crossed) going to get an A for A level and I struggled when helping my sister on a GCSE past paper.

Granted alot of it will seem really easy but there are some areas which just aren't on A level spec.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 14, 2005
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.