Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    could someone clear this up for me when do i use the left hand and when the right hand?
    also the specification says you should be able to "use lenzs law to determin the direction of an induced emf" to do this would i use the hand thingy?

thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    left hand for magnetic fields, i think right hand is for electric fields

ReputationRep:
    i always thought it was right hand when u put MOTION IN
    and left hand when u put CURRENT in

? i could be wrong... thats how ive always remember it though

ReputationRep:
    Left hand rule is to find the DIRECTION of the force on a charge moving in a field.
    right hand rule is to find the mangetic field generated by the movement of charge (usually in a wire).

So left hand one is to find the EFFECT of the B-field on a moving charge (b-field leads to force on current)
    right hand rule is to find the EFFECT of the moving charge on the B-field (force on current leads to B-field)

practice this... work out using both hands whether two parallel conductors with current travelling in the same direction in each will be attracted or repelled. and then work it out for when the current goes in opposing directions.

ReputationRep:
    Right hand is used to find out wat the field is around a moving charge (normally a current carrying wire)...ure thumb is the current and our fingers show the radial field around the wire and its direction

ReputationRep:
    riGht hand is Generators (motion)

Left hand is the other one.

That's what my physics teacher told me, anyway, and he seemed to be pleased with the whole G thing. *shakes head* easily pleased...

ReputationRep:
    "Left hand rule is motor rule, because in England we motor on the left" as my physics teacher would say

ReputationRep:
    Just been looking this up, as there seem to be different answers coming up.

I was wrong before, the left hand rule is for motion (thumb=movement, index=field, middle=current), and the right hand rule is for electromagnetic induction. That's according to my textbook anyway.

*curses teacher*

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.