If I cant sit my exams.. Watch

This discussion is closed.
joshdajoker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
What happens? I made a thread yesterday about the pains I have in my stomach area and its making revising for longer than 5 mins impossible. If I get a doctors note will they give me my predicted grades?
Saffie
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by joshdajoker)
What happens? I made a thread yesterday about the pains I have in my stomach area and its making revising for longer than 5 mins impossible. If I get a doctors note will they give me my predicted grades?
gcse's-maybe. AS-no, A2-maybe,
jatt the ripper
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i not 100% on this btw but i think i remember my electronics teacher say that if you miss the exam out of illness you;ll get 4% of the marks on the exams you missed. Its probably different from board to board though.

anyway- hope you get well soon.
Same goes for me - ive got tonsilitis (again) so i take pain killers - i'm able to revise though.
x_xNicx_x
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Not sure, but Get well soon!
mousey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
did you go to the doctors today? You will need a doctors note. xx
undercover-ange
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think you can only get special considerations if you're actually ill on the day of the exam- not in the run up to it. When I had mumps over the january exams I was advised to get a doctors note the day before the exam or on the actual day and say to the invigilators that I wasn't feeling well to make sure I counted as being ill! Hope you feel better soon. xxx
joshdajoker
Rep:
?
Yeh been to doctors. Going back friday if the medication doesn't work!
mousey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Good, i'm glad you've been. What did the doctor think it was? Hopefully it will go now and you'll be fine. xx
Jayjayjay
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Hope it works. If worse comes to worse - retakes maybe?
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It depends how ill you are. A girl in my year had full-blown glandular fever during AS's and they gave her her predicted grades, but she wasn't satisfied with them and re-sat to do better, which she did.

At A2 some uni's say that they don't accept predicted grades and sometimes you're asked to take a GAP year and re-take them all.

Each case will be individual. Quite often exam boards will formulate a grade based on a prediction, like on your coursework and stuff.
Shelbycakes
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah your best bet is to ring/email your exam board explain your situation (get somebody else to ring if your really ill) and see what they say. its the only way to know for sure
Zebrastripes
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Only just found out about this the other day, but your teachers write down the grades that they think you will get in each module a few weeks back, and send it to the exam board, in case of illness or if you do exceptionally bad compared to what you would usually get, etc.
saz_1989
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i don't think illness is really an excuse for exams. a guy broke him arm and still has to write his exams himself, because he did it climbing over a wall he shouldn't have been climbing over.
twiga
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lozza)
i don't think illness is really an excuse for exams. a guy broke him arm and still has to write his exams himself, because he did it climbing over a wall he shouldn't have been climbing over.
Really? My friend broke her arm (fell out of a tree :rolleyes: ) and as a reslt she has an arm full of metal and according to the docs its a miracle she's able to use it at all. She's allowed a laptop and if the pain gets too bad she has a scribe.
joshdajoker
Rep:
?
i need 16/100 UMS and 11/90 UMS in maths and media respectively to get a B that I need and getting a B in biology shouldn't be too hard either but I have two exams to sit for that. I could force myself through the pain barrier and get whats needed but I need and what I want are different things.

Lozza what has an injury got to do with an illness? I can't infect myself on purpose. Well I could probably but this isn't a praticuarly nice infection to have
ickle_katy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well if you sit them, and the school say you are ill and send off your medical certificate they may scale your marks up.

and if they dont, well, you said you'll have good grades anyway!

love Katy***
realicetic
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by joshdajoker)
Ive had special consideration for 2 yrs now. you cant get it for struggling with revision unfortunately, only if ur work in the exam is affected. they dont always give u ur predicted grades. what they normally do is contact your teachers and ask them to send details of everyones predicted grades in the class and rank you amongst them. then if u fall drastically out of rank they consider giving you extra marks.
You have a 2 week period after the exam in which you can get medical support, otherwise its not valid.
if you do get medical support, the letter needs to be really really precise, stating why you are affected and how it affects ur concentration etc.
If you dont turn up to the exam, im not sure if it is as valid. depends how severe the case is i suppose.
anonymous_xx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
if u take the exam u can tell the invigilator before it. i think they contact the exams office n then u hav to fill in a special consdiration form or something
MrsJones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by anonymous_xx)
if u take the exam u can tell the invigilator before it. i think they contact the exams office n then u hav to fill in a special consdiration form or something
so if i chop both hands off, i still need to fill out a form??
Saffie
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
But if it's an AS exam they don't give you any marks because you have the opportunity to retake it in jan and next june. (so i was told, naturally considered somehow breaking an arm)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (83)
39.15%
No - but I will (10)
4.72%
No - I don't want to (14)
6.6%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
49.53%

Watched Threads