This discussion is closed.
Ath
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Lets say you only ask for £1500, can you get more during the year if you need it from the Student
Loans company? I'm loathe to ask for all that I'm entitled to because I know that I'll end up
spending it on things I don't need... Well that's what my parents seem to think. Thanks,
--
Aonghus
[email protected] [replace xxx with com to reply]
Becca Taylor
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
ath wrote in message ...
[q1]>Lets say you only ask for £1500, can you get more during the year if you need it from the Student[/q1]
[q1]>Loans company? I'm loathe to ask for all that I'm entitled to because I know that I'll end up[/q1]
[q1]>spending it on things I don't need... Well that's what my parents seem to think. Thanks,[/q1]
[q1]>--[/q1]

So take the full amount, stick it in a high interest ISA or something and make a bit of interest on
it to help pay off the rest. Then if you do need more cash during the year it won't take forever to
gain access to it. Becca
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
You can apply for Hardship loans -- generally up to £500 a term I think -- as an extension to your loan if you really need it. Obviously you have to pay that back too, but when you're £10,000 in debt what's £500 between friends?

Best plan is to make sure you go to a University / college with good financial backup... if you're considering Oxbridge have a look at the scholarships they offer -- they'll all say they offer something, but the richer colleges can always give more. Living costs are lower there, too!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Yeah, there are large flucations between different colleges in most univerisities. If you are confident, going for a well-off college will help you financially. If you aren't, then it is a risk.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (299)
34.17%
No (576)
65.83%

Watched Threads