The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
crazy_smurf
:sad: any ideas in terms of numbers? I only have a ukcat of 632.5 so reducing the number of places by 100 or 200 will probably cancel me out :cry2:
No idea, I just heard the idea of the plan.
Reply 61
Will they interview less people ? Or will they offer less to the same amount interviewed?
Reply 62
Renal
Good luck to all of you.

Just so you know; because of an extra large intake this year there is a plan to reduce the intake for 2010. The idea is to get the '09 intake to take a lot of intercalated degrees between second and third year and consequently drop down to join the '10 cohort and prevent the clinical placements being overwhelmed.

Is this plan definately being implemented?
Reply 63
SahilB91
Is this plan definitely being implemented?
No. I dunno when a decision will be made.
Reply 64
Renal
No. I dunno when a decision will be made.

Ah right ok. I think I might ring them up this week just find out when they think a decision will be made, because obviously a large cut would make a big difference to applicant success rate.
Reply 65
SahilB91
Ah right ok. I think I might ring them up this week just find out when they think a decision will be made, because obviously a large cut would make a big difference to applicant success rate.
Don't. Whoever you speak to won't know, won't care and even if they do they won't feel like discussing the school's operating strategy with a cold caller.
Reply 66
Renal
Don't. Whoever you speak to won't know, won't care and even if they do they won't feel like discussing the school's operating strategy with a cold caller.

That's true, I probably won't call up, but if I do it's not gonna do any harm or waste much time. Although, I am pretty sure I read somewhere that the number of places would be the same this year as last (think it was medschoolonline or in the prospectus).

Thanks for the insider info anyway :wink: :rolleyes:
Hey everyone :smile: Thought i'd join you and say i'm planning to apply for both 4 year and 5 year at Barts. Just got to perfect my personal statement and then my UCAS will be on its way. Good luck everyone x
Ohhh Bart's!! Isn't that the one with the yummy kebab shops everywhere? Yup! I'm applying there defo!!
Renal
Good luck to all of you.

Just so you know; because of an extra large intake this year there is a plan to reduce the intake for 2010. The idea is to get the '09 intake to take a lot of intercalated degrees between second and third year and consequently drop down to join the '10 cohort and prevent the clinical placements being overwhelmed.

i havnt been keeping up with this thread!
damn... i had heard they were sanctioned for making to many offers,
or something along those lines... but maybe its this :/
that is lamee...
thanks for the update :smile:
Fafthelibrarian
Hey everyone :smile: Thought i'd join you and say i'm planning to apply for both 4 year and 5 year at Barts. Just got to perfect my personal statement and then my UCAS will be on its way. Good luck everyone x

nah just apply for the four year :p:
hehe
good luck!
It wouldn't surprise me if they reduce the intake of this coming year as my year has like 50 people more than they anticipated.

Either way good luck to those who do apply here :biggrin:
JordanCarroll
i havnt been keeping up with this thread!
damn... i had heard they were sanctioned for making to many offers,
or something along those lines... but maybe its this :/
that is lamee...
thanks for the update :smile:

Shame on you! :p: Yeah, I heard they made too many offers, and had to pay people to take deferred entry :confused: Could be entirely untrue, but since you heard it too, there's probably a little truth in it :rolleyes:
FFCrusader
It wouldn't surprise me if they reduce the intake of this coming year as my year has like 50 people more than they anticipated.

Thanks :smile: Any ideas on whether its worth the risk with a 632.5 ukcat?
RoadWarrior
Shame on you! :p: Yeah, I heard they made too many offers, and had to pay people to take deferred entry :confused: Could be entirely untrue, but since you heard it too, there's probably a little truth in it :rolleyes:

yeah i dont know about them paying people,
but they mustv made too many offers last year,
its hard for them lol,
make too many - get penalised
make too few - get penalised
:s-smilie:
FFCrusader

:eek3:
thanks! we're gona need it :p:
Reply 76
I wonder if they will still interview a high amount i.e. use the same UCKAT cut-off, or will raise it as a result of the seemingly probable decrease in the number of places.
SahilB91
I wonder if they will still interview a high amount i.e. use the same UCKAT cut-off, or will raise it as a result of the seemingly probable decrease in the number of places.

i think it would inevitably raise, regardless of them reducing the number of places,
but yeah i would imagine that due to this expected decrease in offers the cut off will as a result increase :s-smilie:

it would interesting if they did interview a similar number of candidates as in 2009 cycle :smile:
they would be giving themselves a harder job in whittling down applicants,
but ultimately give more people a chance :smile:
Reply 78
JordanCarroll
i think it would inevitably raise, regardless of them reducing the number of places,
but yeah i would imagine that due to this expected decrease in offers the cut off will as a result increase :s-smilie:

it would interesting if they did interview a similar number of candidates as in 2009 cycle :smile:
they would be giving themselves a harder job in whittling down applicants,
but ultimately give more people a chance :smile:

I'm pretty sure that they had like 600-700 less applicants last year than the year before. It was like 1680 last year and 2300 the year before, so maybe that contributed to the cock up regarding offers.
SahilB91
I'm pretty sure that they had like 600-700 less applicants last year than the year before. It was like 1680 last year and 2300 the year before, so maybe that contributed to the cock up regarding offers.

oh really?
are these just stats you remember or have a legit source? (im not challenging this im just interested :smile: )

im goin on a little search, see what that medschoolsonline site has to say about barts :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending