Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Then why would contracting them for a long time (ie looking at close things and concentrating) gets them tired???

Anyone not as thick as me and know this (i m sure theres a really simple response, eg ciliary muscles are actually skeletal or something like that)

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because the anaerobic respiration required for producing extra ATP also produces lactic acid, which when accumulates, causes fatigue.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK they are striated (skeletal) muscle, but I COULD be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    They're smooth and I think endeavor's right.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's a rather generic explanation for why any muscle gets fatigued though :p:

Tbh I don't know if they ever told us it was smooth or not - I guess if I'd LOOKED in histology rather than trying not to throw up because of my hangover, I might have noticed
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    byt the same token. wouldnt eating a lot (and causing loads of peristalsis) make ur oesophagus etc tired?

ReputationRep:
    The only explanation I can come up with is (and its a bit of a guess) that in peristalsis, there are alot of muscles at work and the contraction is in waves. Therefore, each muscle has time to recover between each contraction and so never really tires (like the refractory period in the cardiac cycle allows the cardiac muscle to continually beat). In the eye, however, there are fewer muscles working and they are continually contracting and relaxing. There is rarely a time when our eyes are open which does not require us to alter our focus slightly. This maybe why our eye muscles eventually do tire - because over long periods of time, some lactic acid will build up. Well its a guess, but it sorta holds together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Then why would contracting them for a long time (ie looking at close things and concentrating) gets them tired???

Anyone not as thick as me and know this (i m sure theres a really simple response, eg ciliary muscles are actually skeletal or something like that)

I don't see why you think smooth muscle can't "get tired". Repeated stimulation or prolonged contraction of any muscle causes fatigue, regardless of whether there are evident striations. In the case of the near-sighted accomodation, not only does the ciliary musle contract, but the choroid to which it is attached and the zonule fibres are put under tension.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.... maybe the muscles in our intestines do get tired, just that we cannot feel it. I know that in the stomach, the only sensory receptors are pain receptors (--> we cannot feel peristalsis, just stomachache). The question is whether there are receptors sensing "tiredness" (mechanoreceptors?! other types of pain receptors?) in the eyes. :confused:

Moreover, are you sure tiredness in the eyes is not psychological?! :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thanx for all the responses, so far we have

)aerobic respiration causes lactate build-up
    )ciliary muscles are actually skeletal muscles
    )smooth muscles do get tired
    )psycological feeling made up by brain

any more responses? i want get as many constructive responses as possible, thanx!

ReputationRep:
    Ciliary muscles are, according to toyl, not skeletal. I actually don't know any more. I would just say fixed contraction for a long period of time -->anaerobic resp and lactate buildup-->fatigue etc.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.