Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any tips? How do you do it?

ReputationRep:
    Keep posting on this! - Its helped me I usd to tlk lyk dis baree befo i synd up buh since i hav I've been talking/typing like this =)

ReputationRep:
    Take elocution lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhokes)
    Take elocution lessons.
    Great minds...(shame I was too slow)

Hang about Oxford for about a week.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you can take lessons on how to speak with a PR accent which is preferred if you're going to want to be a TV journalist at the BBC. (I could be wrong here, I'm fairly certain about it though).

Other than that though, practice!

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you enunciate eg. remember that often has a t in it so say it, if it ends in -ing make sure you say it like that, don't forget the g or in some cases and a k
    Ain't is not a proper word. I don't care who argues, you are supposed to say isn't. (As you may have guessed I dislike how people destroy the english language simply by speaking)

Little things like that make you sound a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    Watch Stephen Fry and copy him?

ReputationRep:
    Watch my pastor and speak like him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theseeker)
    Any tips? How do you do it?

Well, avoid the Black Country.
    Peeple says us speeks funny, was telling our babby that t'other day.

Rounded vowels, emphasis more and don't use contracted words.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you say 'oooh' and 'ahhh' (not in an orgasmic way) before you start a sentence.

Also, pretend that you're constipated.

ReputationRep:
    Don't use "weren't" and "wasn't" interchangably. 'Anything' and 'nothing', not 'owt' and 'nowt'. There is a 'd' in the middle of 'didn't, it's not 'di't', and wa'eh' is actually said 'water'. These are all the ones I inflict on people, and probably the reason two people this week have said "Oh, you're from the North!" after only one sentence.

Then again you're from London, so I don't know how many of those you actually do anyway. I think accent's a big part of it though; I'd never think of Jarvis Cocker, for example, as posh even though I can't remember ever hearing him use bad English.

ReputationRep:
    Put a hot potato in your mouth before talking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhokes)
    Take elocution lessons.

I really thought there was a bug on my screen then!! :yep: :p:

And yeah I get alot of stick because I'm from a rough part of Essex and I do sound very common. People assume you're thick which is really annoying, I wouldn't change the way I talk though. Sod everyone else :yep:

ReputationRep:
    do not be lazy and skip letters of words.
    talk how you would write it down properly.

ReputationRep:
    use big long fancy words :ninja:

obviously, i'm not really posh since my above sentence contained words with merely only 2 syllables. Ah well. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Get a rich, posh man to take you under his wing and transform you from a lowly street seller to the beautiful, eloquent lady that you've always dreamed you'd be. You might have to sing, though.

ReputationRep:
    Pfffft stuff the awful posh accent, speak how you would naturally :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Pfffft stuff the awful posh accent, speak how you would naturally :yy:
    This. Posh accents can be so dull. I'm loving being up north.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.