Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HELP!!!! I need urgent help.
    Two issues:
    One, when they ask for the initial number of nuclei, and you have worked out the decay constant, λ, already, you use the formula:

delta N/delta t = -λN

but in all the exam questions, when that comes up, they just use the initial activity for (delta N/delta t). Isn't that wrong? Cuz i usually use N at a single half life, so N is half of the original activity, and t is a half life. But thats wrong. WHHY?????????????????????

Two, does anyone know what questions came up on Paper A of Jan 05, cuz I was not in school for the mocks, and my class mates are all stupid, lol.

Please help me out, exam is in like 36hours and im stuck

ReputationRep:
    The intial activity is the rate of change of N with respect to t. (dN/dt). by putting it equal to -λN, where λ is known to calculate N

As the activity is constantly changing and obeys the laws of exponential decay you cannot simply calculate it as you suggest.

That is if i understand what you are saying...

ReputationRep:
    activity = decay constant * number of nuclei

the decay constant is the chance that a nuclei will decay on one second, so this times the total number is, on average, the number of decays per second or the activity. A = λN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1w)
    activity = decay constant * number of nuclei

the decay constant is the chance that a nuclei will decay on one second, so this times the total number is, on average, the number of decays per second or the activity. A = λN
    Ah ok, now i get it. So are you 110% sure about the "A = λN" formula, cuz i've never heard of it, but then again my teacher is as old as Newton himself, so probably forgot alot.

ReputationRep:
    yeah 100%

ReputationRep:
    ITs right A=lambda*N chilllll

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes that formula isnt accurate enough unless delta is REALLY tiny, you have to use

N=Noe^(-λt)

where N is number No is initial number e is the mathematical e t is time and λis decay constant

It is the same formula for A (activity) if you replace N with A and No with Ao

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.