The Student Room Group

getting a laptop on a pay monthly plan

Posted this in the finance forum, but was told it would get noticed better here :smile:

I want to get a laptop, but can't afford to pay for it all in one go, so was thinking about going to pc world/dixons/currys ect to get one on a pay monthly plan. I know its bad and everything for a student to be getting something on credit, but its only something like £25 a month for 24 months or something.

But, they all seem to say that you have to be in employment for 16 hours or more, which I'm not, or be retired and have a pension. It doesnt mention students/student loans.

Does anyone know if they accept students with no income, but several thousand pounds being paid to them 3 times a year via student loans?

Or does anyone know of any stores that do student credit?

The obvious thing would be to ask my parents to do it in their names, but they dont want to do that.

Also I have been told on the other forum section not to buy one from pc world or the other stores in that group. Heard this from other people too, but why?
ryan12891

Don't get one from PC World or Dixons etc because they have lower specced models for higher prices, and worse customer service (they don't know anything...). Go for one of the major online retailers instead, like direct from Dell, Ebuyer etc.

With regard to finance, I'm not sure which companies do it or not, but you'll want to make sure it's one of the 0% finance plans, otherwise you'll end up paying a lot more for the laptop.

I don't think they can do anything about you working or not, I would assume they just want you to have a steady income so you can pay off the payments. Not sure how different sites/companies work it out though...

Are you sure it wouldn't be better to take the money out of your student loan or bank account? You could even ask for an extension of your overdraft if needs be on your bank, as these will be better options and 0% interest.

In any case though, I wouldn't recommend any of the above. Can you not get a job or anything to earn the money first..? Not a good idea to be stretching your loans...
ryan12891
Posted this in the finance forum, but was told it would get noticed better here :smile:

I want to get a laptop, but can't afford to pay for it all in one go, so was thinking about going to pc world/dixons/currys ect to get one on a pay monthly plan. I know its bad and everything for a student to be getting something on credit, but its only something like £25 a month for 24 months or something.

But, they all seem to say that you have to be in employment for 16 hours or more, which I'm not, or be retired and have a pension. It doesnt mention students/student loans.

Does anyone know if they accept students with no income, but several thousand pounds being paid to them 3 times a year via student loans?

Or does anyone know of any stores that do student credit?

The obvious thing would be to ask my parents to do it in their names, but they dont want to do that.

Also I have been told on the other forum section not to buy one from pc world or the other stores in that group. Heard this from other people too, but why?

I work in Currys, and to be honest, if you haven't got a job, and are just surviving on student loans, you haven't really got a hope of being accepted, and I wouldn't advise trying, as it'll be a strike against you for if you go to apply for credit in the future.

My granddad got a laptop for me on credit, and I just gave him the money every month, so if somebody is willing, perhaps you could do that?

If you do decide to , I can give you a bit of advice on which type of finance to go for, which will give you the least interest, and end up costing you less. Let me know. :h:
Reply 3
What's wrong with using your interest-free overdraft? Saves you having to use some useless retailer like PC World, and will work out cheaper too.

Latest

Trending

Trending