Turn on thread page Beta

The Crucible Exploration Notes watch

is anyone willing to swap, 'use of language' exploration notes on the crucible for AS level Drama and Theatre studies for 'context' 'form & structure' or 'plot & subplot'?
    i dont intend to copy directly, im just having difficulty with this one and wouldnt mind an idea of what to say!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pantface)
    is anyone willing to swap, 'use of language' exploration notes on the crucible for AS level Drama and Theatre studies for 'context' 'form & structure' or 'plot & subplot'?
    i dont intend to copy directly, im just having difficulty with this one and wouldnt mind an idea of what to say!
    xx
    HI YA I AM SO STUCK ON LANGUAGE, I'LL SEND YOU CONTEXT IF YOU LIKE, I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT I'M DOING I'VE ONLY JUST SIGNED UP HERE???
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc The Historical Context of Arthur Miller.doc (26.0 KB, 758 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djfdando)
    HI YA I AM SO STUCK ON LANGUAGE, I'LL SEND YOU CONTEXT IF YOU LIKE, I DON'T REALLY KNOW WHAT I'M DOING I'VE ONLY JUST SIGNED UP HERE???
    hi i am stuck on the plot and subplot and language i am just looking for a structure and wont use it as my own cud u please help?

ReputationRep:
    The Crucible was fantastic, I did the scene with Abby threatning the girls

pointy reckoning

ReputationRep:
    I did the crucible for GCSE English, you didnt get to do drama at my school. If you were in one of the top three groups you had to do German if you were in the other groups you had to do drama (not that they were trying to tell us that drama was a dosser subject of course). How unfair is that, I would have loved to do drama and never got on with German.

ReputationRep:
    I wish i did the crucible. what other play are you doing? im in the A level year now but in AS we had to do Mother Courage and A Dolls House. i havent got my notes anymore but they might have helped! its my unit 4 devised piece next week and we dont know the script AAARGH! i think i may die.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed studting The Crucible at GCSE almost as much as studying S.E. Hinton's 'The Outsiders'. Thats how good it is!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer 'Lord of the Flies' far more compelling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pantface)
    xx
    Yeah okay I'll swap with ya but how good r ur notes
    ? here ya go The language used in The Crucible is Arthur Miller’s adapted version of the language spoken at the times found in the actual court records of the trials. The language in general is archaic, giving the audience the feeling that it is a very different society being portrayed then that of our time. This absorbs the audience further into the story and the characters because they seem authentic in the way that they talk. This also distances the characters from the 20th century audience.
    The language used is also an adapted version of the language used in the King James version of the bible, which the play keeps making references to, for example when Mary Warren explains to Procter how the villagers part like the red sea when Abigail walks through, she compares her to Moses parting the red sea, this allows the audience to create that picture in their minds. This is called imagery. Another example of this can be found on page 115 in which Reverend Hale describes himself as “a bridegroom full of love and passion, bearing gifts of high religion” which creates the picture of him being a Christ like figure within the community.
    During the play Miller uses a lot of metaphoric language, some examples of this are:
    o P.55, Procter to Elizabeth: “Oh Elizabeth, your justice would freeze beer” – meaning that her mood would be able to freeze beer, which can’t be done.
    o P.52, Procter to Elizabeth: “This farms a continent” – gives the idea that the farm is extremely large.
    Miller also uses language to reflect on the status of the characters. This is seen most obviously through Tituba, Parris’s servant from Barbados. She uses a language called patrois, which is a mix between English and French. She uses this because she may have been on a slave ship with English and French crew where she may of picked up on their languages. It is a broken form of English, in which the correct grammar is not used to form sentences, for example “Me Betty be hearty soon?” This reflects on her status as a servant and as the only black person in the parish as she is the only character that speaks this broken language.
    Reverend Hale’s status is also shown through the language used. Because he uses a more formal vocabulary than most of the other characters, he is seen as an educated and important figure. An example of this language is found on P.73:
    “Procter, I cannot think God be provoked so grandly by such a petty cause. The jails are packed – our greatest judges sit in Salem now – and hangin’s promised. Man, we must look to cause proportionate. Were there murder don perhaps, and never bought to light? Abomination! Some secret blasphemy that stinks to heaven?” This example uses a vivid and a more advanced language then the other characters use.
    The way that the characters address each other also contributes to the authenticity of the play, for example the men are referred to as mister and the married women are know as goody, as in “Goody Procter”
    good luck!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    hi, i will swop 'Use of Language' for 'Context' of the crucible if you want. I got a good grade for it.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.