Turn on thread page Beta

what do you think about bob geldof? watch

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there some worry, what he is trying to promote will have a negative effect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalibantre)
    what he's doing will do a lot more than him doing nothing.
    False.

he cares he has done for years. he's a multi millionaire he doesnt have to do a thing but he does..
    No, he doesn't have to, but I expect he quite enjoys being St Bob of Geldof. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent p......?)
    Isn't there some worry, what he is trying to promote will have a negative effect?
    Yeah read the thread I link to in my previous post...

ReputationRep:
    millions of people have noticed the problem.. millions less would no without Sir Bob.

if even just 10th of those peopel do somehting its a huge step in the right direction..

I'd quite enjoybeing called Sir Bob Geldof but I'm weird that way.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand his self-righteous moaning all over the tv. I'm really disappointed that my end of A level exams summer of partying will be marred by his unattractive face. And it all is not helped by the fact that what he is doing will make things even worse - 1) by entrenching the ideas of fair trade and throwing money at Africa with no thought for where it is going 2) by making Africa even more dependent on aid and loans

ReputationRep:
    millions of people have noticed the problem.. millions less would no without Sir Bob.

if even just 10th of those peopel do somehting its a huge step in the right direction..

I'd quite enjoybeing called Sir Bob Geldof but I'm weird that way.
    Well in theory that's true... but millions more people doing the wrong thing - good or bad? Hmmm...

ReputationRep:
    I don't knwo everything I'll admit that.

but the guys got a heart and a soul that I havent seen in many people. He's trying and for that I applaud him.

ReputationRep:
    but the guys got a heart and a soul that I havent seen in many people. He's trying and for that I applaud him.
    I've used this example before somewhere, but is somebody who raises awareness of environmental issues by telling people to drive their cars more and leave their lights on doing a good thing or a bad thing?

ReputationRep:
    lights on??

EDIT:

ooh i missed the enviromental bit..

they're doing a misguided thing..

ReputationRep:
    The man is unfortunately very unreasonable it seems. The problem is an unreasonable man in the powerful position which he is in usually gets his way.....good that what he wants is a "good" thing, but the old phrase about the ends justifying the means springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    lights on??
    My point is this: yes there is poverty in Africa, yes people need to know about it and yes Bob Geldof is raising awareness. However he is endorsing "Fair" Trade and other such nonsensical plans for ending poverty which will merely worsen the situation.

My analogy with environmental awareness was to show that people can do the wrong things for the right reasons. Someone who is launching a campaign to raise awareness of environmental issues by encouraging people to drive their cars more, to cut down trees and to use as much power as possible might mean well but is actually acting irresponsibly. The thing is though people KNOW that more cars, fewer trees etc are BAD for the environment. People are not so clued up on economics..

What Geldof and a host of other celebrities are doing to end poverty is the equivalent of telling people to drive their car more to prevent global warming; it makes about as much sense. The only problem is that "Fair" Trade sounds so appealing despite damaging Africa's prospects in the long run. If you want to read my, and other people's opinions on it read that thread I linked to earlier...

ReputationRep:
    Until he's as poor as the rest of us, he can tell us to stop giving money to Africa from his cushy chair in his mansion. Also, he needs a haircut, and a proper tailor.

ReputationRep:
    I like the fellow. He has dedicated much of his life to his cause, which is a noble one. and many people talk about aid and loans and so on. For one thing, Bob Geldof works to eradicate many loans. also his ultimate motive isn't to raise money, but to raise awareness, shown by this Live 8 thing, which will be non-profit. He always speaks passionately. He also isnt naive - he knows that the fact that he has to keep doing these charity fundraisers means that the effect he is having isnt an enormous one, hence this new live8, where the sole purpose is to raise awareness. Bob Geldof has personally spent time in several parts of Africa voluntarily so you can't say all he does is chuck money - he spends the most valuable thing man has, time.
    Bob Geldof is a man to be praised for his dedication. He has good values. I distinctly remember him saying that all he wants is for people to realise what is going on in africa. He said on the jonathon ross show that if tomorrow 50000 ppl died in paris or london, everyone would be shocked, send millions (like tsunami) and wonder how it happened. This has been going on in africa for too long without enough people taking notice. He just wishes to change things.

ReputationRep:
    absolute ******, firstly I agree with Damon Alburn in saying that if we are raising awarness for Africa, why not have more African Artisits at Live 8?

also UK is forever giving money to African countries, what has been done with it? half of these countries are under dictatorship so the people that matter don't benefit at all.

also there are thousands of very poor people in the UK, why not look after your own before helping other countries that are in a mess.

can't stand the bloke.....

ReputationRep:
    he's a multi millionaire he doesnt have to do a thing but he does..
    If he cared so much he should give it all up and live a modest life like other people instead of enjoying the luxuries of life and telling other people to give their money away first before he does.

ReputationRep:
    too true, he should donate all his money then get a real job like the rest of us and see if he can get away with skipping work for a week to go to edingbrough lol

What i find is weird is that hes calling the live8 "his concert", he makes it sound like its all about him, its not africa's concert its his, :rolleyes:

and talking about his music talents, his ex band members are taking him to courts coz he owes them millions lol, so St bob not so saint after all :p:

hes got good ideas, but he puts no thought into it, i think he really believes that all we have to do is through millions of pounds at africa and everything will be ok

ReputationRep:
    I think he's great. Has a real personality, unlike many celebrities of late, and stands up for what he believes in. I'm also sceptical about fair trade etc, but his main objective here is getting Blair and Co to hurry up and do something about the situation, as they're the people with the power to do it.

I'm also fairly sure that he does donate some of his personal fortune. In much the same way other celebrities do, it'll be done quietly - people complain about him not giving anything now, but were he to come out and announce a donation of hundreds of thousands of pounds it'd further alienate him from parts of the population and just be seen as him showing off again.

The man's trying to do something good for the world, and I think it's sad that people queue up to have a go at him. As for the UK having "Thousands of very poor people" - poverty is relative, and the UK has the systems set up for dealing with people who have nothing if they ask for help. There will always be abusive families and problems in the UK, any "charity starts at home" sort of argument just tends to come across as an excuse not to help anyone but yourself..

ReputationRep:
    The man's an ignorant knobend. All this Live8 crap will do no more good than the original LiveAid, ie. none. Africa doesn't just need cash poured into it. He seems almost American in his assumption that the best way to solve problems is to throw money at them.

ReputationRep:
    I think hes cool! The hairier the better!

(Original post by Feef)
    I think he's great. Has a real personality, unlike many celebrities of late, and stands up for what he believes in. I'm also sceptical about fair trade etc, but his main objective here is getting Blair and Co to hurry up and do something about the situation, as they're the people with the power to do it.

I'm also fairly sure that he does donate some of his personal fortune. In much the same way other celebrities do, it'll be done quietly - people complain about him not giving anything now, but were he to come out and announce a donation of hundreds of thousands of pounds it'd further alienate him from parts of the population and just be seen as him showing off again.

The man's trying to do something good for the world, and I think it's sad that people queue up to have a go at him. As for the UK having "Thousands of very poor people" - poverty is relative, and the UK has the systems set up for dealing with people who have nothing if they ask for help. There will always be abusive families and problems in the UK, any "charity starts at home" sort of argument just tends to come across as an excuse not to help anyone but yourself..
    Good post. People will line up and have a go at Geldof, Bono, Martin et al but they have played a massive part in creating awareness for the poor. Apparently when he started out on his poverty campaign, he went broke because he wasn't making music or doing concerts. It's all very well criticising the means, but his motives and intentions should be applauded and supported.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.