Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have read alot on the internet about how if you become an ivestment banker you don't have a life because you spend your how life working and lots of investment bankers end up having heart attacks due to the level of stress. Is this really true? or is this just the minority that gets emphasized by people tryingto give Ib a bad name? If I became an ivnestment banker am I likely to end up ruining my health or my social life just for the sake of a job?

ReputationRep:
    If you want a 9-5 job but with excellent pay then this isn't for you. I pretty much doubt you'll ever do 9-5 in this sector as it will ALWAYS be more Some days you may have to put in 17 hours. It is not unheard of people doing 24+ hour shifts! This occurs regularly and is not seldom in its nature. You'd be expected not requested to put these hours in. Having said that it isn't always like but you should expect 60 hours per week base (more depending on the area you opt tgo into). Occasionally it may be a little less but it's more likely to be more. This is what I picked up when I spoke to several employees at JP Morgan.

ReputationRep:
    quite a lot...so what other areas can i work in if i do a msc in financial economics from oxford..i've got an offer

ReputationRep:
    i think in every qualified profession it all depends on you. You can work loads of hours and earn loads of money or you can earn normal hours and earn less money. It depends what you want to choose.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also intrested in working hours in IB. I'd like to work for one, but for me life is not all about work. Does that make me a bad candidate?

I also wonder if extreme hours apply to all branches? IB is a big area. Sales and trading dont have these hours for sure as stock exchanges close at 5. What about asset management, venture capital, hege funds and other divisions?

ReputationRep:
    It depends mostly on which division you go into.

Corporate Finance can have very long hours - I spoke to people at Lazard who have worked into the small hours on deals.

Trading probably has early starts and then finishes around 6ish - you might have to stay to sort out a few things after exchange closes.

Asset Management I guess has long hours too.

Operations and Finance is better for work-life balance - I doubt you'll be pulling too many late nuights - be then the pay does not reach astronomical levels although it is still great.

I've got an internship in Ops and Finance this summer starting in July, so i'll let you know more once I start.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to put these long hours in but if you want your career to progress and get promotion it is given that you will.

As you progress up the ladder, the demands expected of you reduce.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just investment banking. I met a guy who worked at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) at a social event just recently. It's all work work work non-stop. They obviously don't get much sleep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hibbert)
    I have read alot on the internet about how if you become an ivestment banker you don't have a life because you spend your how life working and lots of investment bankers end up having heart attacks due to the level of stress. Is this really true? or is this just the minority that gets emphasized by people tryingto give Ib a bad name? If I became an ivnestment banker am I likely to end up ruining my health or my social life just for the sake of a job?
    lol no money for nothing hey. If you want to earn alot, you work alot. It applies to IB.

I can give you a rough guide:

Trading/Sales: usually the maret opening hours, 12hrs a day from the traders i have talked to in CSFB/Merrill Lynch

Syndicate Loans/debts etc: 12hrs well that was HSBC people saying, not sure about the real IBs

Fund Management: long hours can't be sure how much but i can find it out if i bother to contact one of them....i guess i need to talk one gold man sachs guy

Investment bankers: the longest, stretches sometimes to 100hrs a week. especially when you just enter. you do lot of work and you need to use your initiatieves as well. For a investment baner director level (if you get to promoted to that level) you work roughly 60hrs a week enabling you to have weekends almost completely off. that was from CSFB

Back-office roles should be less cruelsome i think (though never asked much about that area)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.