Boyfriend doesn't want me to lose weight.

Watch
sunlightxstarbright
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm currently a UK size 10. Whilst I'm not unhappy with my body, I would prefer to be a little smaller/generally 'tighter' and more toned. However, my boyfriend is upset at even the slightest suggestion of me losing weight. He says I'm lovely as I am and that he thinks I'm flawless - both wonderful things to hear, but not all that effective. He gets really quite upset when I lose weight. So I'm looking for advice - should I stop exercising as much and losing weight and make him happy, or should I keep doing what I'm doing and risk upsetting him further?

I don't want to hurt him, but it's my body and I think he's being a little selfish by guilt-tripping me, frankly.
Elementric
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just explain to him that you would feel better about yourself if you lost some weight.

Simples.
imhiya
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He's just worried he won't find you as attrative, and to him you probably really don't need to loose weight. He cannot stop you if you want too, go for it aslong as its healthy.
sunlightxstarbright
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elementric)
Just explain to him that you would feel better about yourself if you lost some weight.

Simples.
I have done this, many different ways and many different times. He seems to think any desire I feel to lose weight is a failing on his part to make me comfortable with my appearance. It's frustrating and causes a lot of uneeded tension between us.

Thankyou for replying.
MattHummer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
guess he just loves the chub
Hana_87
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He may be insecure and worried that if you loose weight,more men might find you attractive and therefore he has a greater chance of losing you (in his head). Might not be it but you never know. My ex was like that - 'why are you wearing make up - you don't need to!' - BLAH.
NW86
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
there is also the fact that uk size 10 is a totally normal and fine size to be, it's pretty small. You can only go a few sizers smaller, but you can go LOADS of sizes bigger. Perhaps he is just worried by the fact YOU dont find yourself attractive, and he cares about you enough to make you want to realise you are beautiful the way you are.
emanuel_arsenalfc
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i agree with your boyfriend..you dont need to lose weight woman..you look beautiful as you are...!!
NW86
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Judging by the replies in this thread. Girls really dont have a ******* clue as to why guys say the things they do, it's got nothing to do with him being insecure, it will be because he cares about his girlfriend and doesnt want her to be insecure, and he sees her willingness to lose weight an insecurity.

girls really aren't as smart as they seem sometimes
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't lose weight - tone up instead.
Nambi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
this
chloeee!
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You sound like you have a really nice, appreciative boyfriend! Lucky, lol. I think he's worried about you becoming too skinny/bony. A size 10 sounds like you're slim but with curves in the right places, or 'slender'. This is what boys like, obviously not looking like a walking skeleton. If you want, then yeah you should continue exercising, maybe trying to lose a few pounds etc but just explain to your boyfriend that you just want to look more toned, not get down to a size 0 which is what he's probs worried about.
SunOfABeach
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mikeyd85)
This!!!

Wtf is the deal with women and losing weight? Tight ass and perky boobs > skinny.
sunlightxstarbright
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I'll try to reassure him a little and make more of an effort to tone up rather than lose weight.
470dwndow54
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lool just don't tell him and he probably won't notice.
If he asks you if you've lost weight just be like I don't think so!
Try and act like it's no big deal and hopefully he won't either.
When you are with him, don't skimp on meals or he'll notice, just eat what you always do and exercise more
xxx
SunOfABeach
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by sunlightxstarbright)
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I think I'll try to reassure him a little and make more of an effort to tone up rather than lose weight.
Yes please do and then send us some pictures maybe?
Dante786
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Hana_87)
He may be insecure and worried that if you loose weight,more men might find you attractive and therefore he has a greater chance of losing you (in his head). Might not be it but you never know. My ex was like that - 'why are you wearing make up - you don't need to!' - BLAH.
nonsense in both cases
rotatoe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol i cant believe youre so blind to his ********!! Guy is slick i'll give him that
Respect4Acting
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MattHummer)
guess he just loves the chub
:ditto:
MGS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Tell himn you will feelbetter losing weigh tbut remember this. To him you are beautiful the way you are, why change?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads