Turn on thread page Beta

What should girls wear to interviews? watch

I have a Cambridge interview on Thursday that I'm absolutely terrified about..! I don't think I have anything suitable to wear so I'm going to try and buy something tomorrow, but I'm really confused about what to wear. I have a long suede beige skirt and a matching jacket but no smart top to wear with them and (I don't really feel comfortable in beige, blerg, old lady colour).
    Is a long skirt the way to go? Or should I buy some smart trousers? What colours and what to wear with them, I want to stay warm because it's bloody freezing

thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by campixie)
    I have a Cambridge interview on Thursday that I'm absolutely terrified about..! I don't think I have anything suitable to wear so I'm going to try and buy something tomorrow, but I'm really confused about what to wear. I have a long suede beige skirt and a matching jacket but no smart top to wear with them and (I don't really feel comfortable in beige, blerg, old lady colour).
    Is a long skirt the way to go? Or should I buy some smart trousers? What colours and what to wear with them, I want to stay warm because it's bloody freezing

thank you!
    Look pretty. Makeup, sexy clothes, flirt... come on that'll impress a 50yr old male tutor!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jools)
    Look pretty. Makeup, sexy clothes, flirt... come on that'll impress a 50yr old male tutor!
    Lol what if its a 60 year old feminist english tutor who has a copy of the 'female eunuch' on her shelves? Like most Hilda's tutors in fact.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

ReputationRep:
    I've decided to wear a smart trouser suit- even with all the comments about not wearing suits, I know I'll feel more confident and look as if I've made the effort. Power dressing, I say!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going smart casual - grey trousers, smart jumper (to be warm) and smart shoes.

Last year I dressed up more and was freezing which probably didn't help my performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by campixie)

thank you!
    I would dress smart and warm, if i were you, ie wear a smart jumper, but i'd be weary about trousers, as everyone says that Oxbridge prefer girls to wear skirts not trousers! Unfair I think - do they not realise how cold it is out there, n wearing a skirt doesn't help keep you warm. If you do, however, go for the skirt option, i would wear thick tights, that should help keep ya warm

Good Luck with the interview xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma1811)
    I would dress smart and warm, if i were you, ie wear a smart jumper, but i'd be weary about trousers, as everyone says that Oxbridge prefer girls to wear skirts not trousers! Unfair I think - do they not realise how cold it is out there, n wearing a skirt doesn't help keep you warm. If you do, however, go for the skirt option, i would wear thick tights, that should help keep ya warm

Good Luck with the interview xxxx
    Who is this everyone who wants girls to wear skirts - I've never heard about that, though admitidly I'm not female...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Who is this everyone who wants girls to wear skirts - I've never heard about that, though admitidly I'm not female...

I've never heard it or seen many wearing them either?

ReputationRep:
    Well I think it all dates back to when Oxbridge uni's didnt want women in, n at that time, women were neva seen in trousers; so i think it has just continued a tradition from then, n now not enuf people will break the tradition and go in trousers, there are however, many girls that do, it is just not as many as those who wear trousers! xxxx

ReputationRep:
    hey there!
    i was so grateful 2 see ur post since i have my cambridge interview on thursday as well and i wasnt sure what to wear. i think i'm going with black trousers and a black jumper with a nice bright scarf and some leather boots....lol, if 4 sum reason ur interested. tbh it would b better that we look confortable and practical....cos skirts r not practical in this weather! where r u applying.what subject?
    Nat xx

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a good dress plan! hehe! I think i would definately go for the trousers as well, as it is much much too cold for skirts!! Sod the sexist tutors! I'm apply to Durham, Exeter, LSE, Reading, Southampton & Warwick, for Accounting and Finance. Where else are you applying and for what course?

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a good dress plan! hehe! I think i would definately go for the trousers as well, as it is much much too cold for skirts!! Sod the sexist tutors! I'm apply to Durham, Exeter, LSE, Reading, Southampton & Warwick, for Accounting and Finance. Where else are you applying and for what course?

xxxx
    am applying for modern languages (french italian and spanish) at cambridge, glasgow, st andrew's, strathclyde and edinburgh. i have unconditional offers so far from glasgow strath. and st ands, and have my interview at cam on thurs....needless to say, am terrified! *hides in the back of her wardrobe*
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataliesophia)
    am applying for modern languages (french italian and spanish) at cambridge, glasgow, st andrew's, strathclyde and edinburgh. i have unconditional offers so far from glasgow strath. and st ands, and have my interview at cam on thurs....needless to say, am terrified! *hides in the back of her wardrobe*
    xx
    Wow - thats really cool that you have 3 unconditional offers! I havent recieved any unconditional, just 4 conditional so far! I'm sure the interview will go really well! Try not to be too scared! (hard i know). Let me know how u get on
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Wow - thats really cool that you have 3 unconditional offers! I havent recieved any unconditional, just 4 conditional so far! I'm sure the interview will go really well! Try not to be too scared! (hard i know). Let me know how u get on
    xxxx
    don't worry bout it, uv got ages yet. the only reason iv heard from most of the unis is cos my ucas was in earlier to meet the cam deadline. so dont worry thanx for the good wishes, will let u no how it goes
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nataliesophia)
    don't worry bout it, uv got ages yet. the only reason iv heard from most of the unis is cos my ucas was in earlier to meet the cam deadline. so dont worry thanx for the good wishes, will let u no how it goes
    xx
    Yeah, mine went in before the Oxbridge deadline too. Ive only LSE and Warwick to hear from, but i wont hear from them until the spring most likely (unless it is a rejection from LSE, which are going though atm! ARGH!)
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I got told by my (all girls, admittidly) school to wear skirts to all interviews, because it's traditional, and that's what interviewers like. However, I wore black trousers, boots, a shirt and a smart jumper to mine, with my black smart coat. Seemed to work!

ReputationRep:
    oh no this has brought a new worry now!

ReputationRep:
    Chill! Wearing your favourite Glastonbury mud-wrestling outfit might not be a great idea, but apart from that, just be smart! Smart trouserts are just as good as a skirt, not to mention the fact that Cambridge is freeeeeeezing now, so you'll feel a lot warmer! Put your outfit together the night before though, or before you leave, if you're staying the night - that'll be one load off your mind.

I wore a suit because it was natural - we did at school for 6th form anyway, but other people didn't dress so formally and still got in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Lol what if its a 60 year old feminist english tutor who has a copy of the 'female eunuch' on her shelves? Like most Hilda's tutors in fact.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Yay, Germaine Greer!! She's so great! i'm such a convert, i saw her lecture at a poetry conference yesterday and was sooo impressed!

ReputationRep:
    black and white would be a good match .It looks smart

wut about the hairdo?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.