What should girls wear to interviews? Watch

This discussion is closed.
campixie
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I have a Cambridge interview on Thursday that I'm absolutely terrified about..! I don't think I have anything suitable to wear so I'm going to try and buy something tomorrow, but I'm really confused about what to wear. I have a long suede beige skirt and a matching jacket but no smart top to wear with them and (I don't really feel comfortable in beige, blerg, old lady colour).
Is a long skirt the way to go? Or should I buy some smart trousers? What colours and what to wear with them, I want to stay warm because it's bloody freezing

thank you!
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by campixie)
I have a Cambridge interview on Thursday that I'm absolutely terrified about..! I don't think I have anything suitable to wear so I'm going to try and buy something tomorrow, but I'm really confused about what to wear. I have a long suede beige skirt and a matching jacket but no smart top to wear with them and (I don't really feel comfortable in beige, blerg, old lady colour).
Is a long skirt the way to go? Or should I buy some smart trousers? What colours and what to wear with them, I want to stay warm because it's bloody freezing

thank you!
Look pretty. Makeup, sexy clothes, flirt... come on that'll impress a 50yr old male tutor!
hildabeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Look pretty. Makeup, sexy clothes, flirt... come on that'll impress a 50yr old male tutor!
Lol what if its a 60 year old feminist english tutor who has a copy of the 'female eunuch' on her shelves? Like most Hilda's tutors in fact.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Sparkly
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've decided to wear a smart trouser suit- even with all the comments about not wearing suits, I know I'll feel more confident and look as if I've made the effort. Power dressing, I say!
Sazzle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm going smart casual - grey trousers, smart jumper (to be warm) and smart shoes.

Last year I dressed up more and was freezing which probably didn't help my performance.
gemma1811
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by campixie)

thank you!
I would dress smart and warm, if i were you, ie wear a smart jumper, but i'd be weary about trousers, as everyone says that Oxbridge prefer girls to wear skirts not trousers! Unfair I think - do they not realise how cold it is out there, n wearing a skirt doesn't help keep you warm. If you do, however, go for the skirt option, i would wear thick tights, that should help keep ya warm

Good Luck with the interview xxxx
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gemma1811)
I would dress smart and warm, if i were you, ie wear a smart jumper, but i'd be weary about trousers, as everyone says that Oxbridge prefer girls to wear skirts not trousers! Unfair I think - do they not realise how cold it is out there, n wearing a skirt doesn't help keep you warm. If you do, however, go for the skirt option, i would wear thick tights, that should help keep ya warm

Good Luck with the interview xxxx
Who is this everyone who wants girls to wear skirts - I've never heard about that, though admitidly I'm not female...
Sazzle
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
Who is this everyone who wants girls to wear skirts - I've never heard about that, though admitidly I'm not female...

I've never heard it or seen many wearing them either?
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well I think it all dates back to when Oxbridge uni's didnt want women in, n at that time, women were neva seen in trousers; so i think it has just continued a tradition from then, n now not enuf people will break the tradition and go in trousers, there are however, many girls that do, it is just not as many as those who wear trousers! xxxx
nataliesophia
Report 15 years ago
hey there!
i was so grateful 2 see ur post since i have my cambridge interview on thursday as well and i wasnt sure what to wear. i think i'm going with black trousers and a black jumper with a nice bright scarf and some leather boots....lol, if 4 sum reason ur interested. tbh it would b better that we look confortable and practical....cos skirts r not practical in this weather! where r u applying.what subject?
Nat xx
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
That sounds like a good dress plan! hehe! I think i would definately go for the trousers as well, as it is much much too cold for skirts!! Sod the sexist tutors! I'm apply to Durham, Exeter, LSE, Reading, Southampton & Warwick, for Accounting and Finance. Where else are you applying and for what course?

xxxx
nataliesophia
Report 15 years ago
That sounds like a good dress plan! hehe! I think i would definately go for the trousers as well, as it is much much too cold for skirts!! Sod the sexist tutors! I'm apply to Durham, Exeter, LSE, Reading, Southampton & Warwick, for Accounting and Finance. Where else are you applying and for what course?

xxxx
am applying for modern languages (french italian and spanish) at cambridge, glasgow, st andrew's, strathclyde and edinburgh. i have unconditional offers so far from glasgow strath. and st ands, and have my interview at cam on thurs....needless to say, am terrified! *hides in the back of her wardrobe*
xx
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nataliesophia)
am applying for modern languages (french italian and spanish) at cambridge, glasgow, st andrew's, strathclyde and edinburgh. i have unconditional offers so far from glasgow strath. and st ands, and have my interview at cam on thurs....needless to say, am terrified! *hides in the back of her wardrobe*
xx
Wow - thats really cool that you have 3 unconditional offers! I havent recieved any unconditional, just 4 conditional so far! I'm sure the interview will go really well! Try not to be too scared! (hard i know). Let me know how u get on
xxxx
nataliesophia
Report 15 years ago
Wow - thats really cool that you have 3 unconditional offers! I havent recieved any unconditional, just 4 conditional so far! I'm sure the interview will go really well! Try not to be too scared! (hard i know). Let me know how u get on
xxxx
don't worry bout it, uv got ages yet. the only reason iv heard from most of the unis is cos my ucas was in earlier to meet the cam deadline. so dont worry thanx for the good wishes, will let u no how it goes
xx
gemma1811
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by nataliesophia)
don't worry bout it, uv got ages yet. the only reason iv heard from most of the unis is cos my ucas was in earlier to meet the cam deadline. so dont worry thanx for the good wishes, will let u no how it goes
xx
Yeah, mine went in before the Oxbridge deadline too. Ive only LSE and Warwick to hear from, but i wont hear from them until the spring most likely (unless it is a rejection from LSE, which are going though atm! ARGH!)
xxxx
picju96
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I got told by my (all girls, admittidly) school to wear skirts to all interviews, because it's traditional, and that's what interviewers like. However, I wore black trousers, boots, a shirt and a smart jumper to mine, with my black smart coat. Seemed to work!
Tina
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh no this has brought a new worry now!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Chill! Wearing your favourite Glastonbury mud-wrestling outfit might not be a great idea, but apart from that, just be smart! Smart trouserts are just as good as a skirt, not to mention the fact that Cambridge is freeeeeeezing now, so you'll feel a lot warmer! Put your outfit together the night before though, or before you leave, if you're staying the night - that'll be one load off your mind.

I wore a suit because it was natural - we did at school for 6th form anyway, but other people didn't dress so formally and still got in!
serendipity
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Lol what if its a 60 year old feminist english tutor who has a copy of the 'female eunuch' on her shelves? Like most Hilda's tutors in fact.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Yay, Germaine Greer!! She's so great! i'm such a convert, i saw her lecture at a poetry conference yesterday and was sooo impressed!
voodooAkko
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
black and white would be a good match .It looks smart

wut about the hairdo?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (178)
18.72%
No (573)
60.25%
Not really bothered about them (200)
21.03%

Watched Threads