The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've been preparing for a year for my piano performance but I don't feel I've got very far! I'm intending to work v hard over the summer and hope it's ready in time for Spring!
I'm considering doing the oboe DipABRSM..it's slightly odd..one of the pieces on the repertoire is a Grade 7 piece! (but with the one extra mvt!)

I can play quite a few of the pieces already on there...just need to build my stamina to world class proportions! heh!
I hate diploma exams. I've never been so stressed out...my accompanist told me off for pacing before my DipABRSM flute one. I played the Rutter...wouldn't exactly reccomend it, as it's a long piece to play. And the last bars of the last movement are horrible...I always played them by harmonics, it was the only way.

LCM dips are so much easier (that's what my piano one is). There's no programme notes or viva voce, and only one examiner. But the two aren't equivalent. The DipABRSM is equivalent to the ALCM, DipLCM falls between grade 8 and ALCM.
Reply 23
jimbobismad
I'm considering doing the oboe DipABRSM..it's slightly odd..one of the pieces on the repertoire is a Grade 7 piece! (but with the one extra mvt!)

I can play quite a few of the pieces already on there...just need to build my stamina to world class proportions! heh!

I think DipABRSM is all about stamina and how you perform the pieces/musicality etc

Personally speaking I think you can just about scrape a pass at grade 7/8 with playing 'ok' but at Dip level the whole performance jsut needs to be so much better. Many of the pieces are actually grade 7/8 pieces...but obvioulsy need to be played to a much higher standard
Reply 24
Some pieces, like the bach and handel sonnatas are quite easy (this is for flute) however I think that the dipABRSM is looking alot more at speed and accuracy than at grade 7/8 and it is generally a higher standard that they are looking for. I would like to see what the differnce is between DipABRSM and FRSM and if there is quite a differnce in marking, or if its just on difficulty of the pieces that makes the 2 diplomas different
Reply 25
Looking at the FRSM lists for instruments I know, there are a mixture of pieces. Some which have appeared in DipABRSM/LRSM and some which are so hard they only appear at FRSM level. So in a way I think some pieces are harder than the other diplomas but also the level of performance of both those and pieces appearing on all diploma lists..needs to be of an incredibly high standard.

If you have a look at the Diploma syllabus there is a general sort of mark scheme, I'll have a look later
Reply 26
I'm doing it in singing this autumn, i'm a bit worried about the sight singing tho!! hehe its like 15 mins long i think and you get no help from a piano, i'm really looking forward to the recital bit, i love recitals!
Reply 27
I think you are able to play the starting note on the piano for dipABRSM. So thats a bit better than having to guess! Have a look at abrsm.org theres loads of info on there.
Reply 28
jooles
I'm doing it in singing this autumn, i'm a bit worried about the sight singing tho!! hehe its like 15 mins long i think and you get no help from a piano, i'm really looking forward to the recital bit, i love recitals!

What's the repertoire for the singing diploma like? And out of interest, how old are you? I'm looking to eventually do a singing diploma (though it's gonna be a while, lol) but I wonder if the repertoire might be too heavy for me until I'm much older...

Just wondering :smile:
Reply 29
I'm not a singer so I don't know but you can go to the ABRSM website and get the syllabus from there

It is www.abrsm.org
Reply 30
sexy sax - I'm guessing you are sexy sax from the abrsm boards?? I'm tooty_flute
Reply 31
I know you are tooty_flute!

I am saxlover on there, once clarinetlover!
Reply 32
I'm thinking about doing the diploma on clarinet but I really cant be bother I hate doing exams andso i think it will just be extra stress fir no reason.
Reply 33
Well I think if you are good enough to do it then you should give it a go! But it is a lot different to graded exams and if you don't like exams and are worried about the pressure then maybe not! Just explore the repertoire for clarinet!
Reply 34
Jelkin
At the mo my repetoire consists of Beethoven's Sonata in C Minor (Pathetique), Chopin's Nocturne in E Major (Op. 62 No. 2), and Debussy's Sarabande from Pour Le Piano.

Good choices. :P
I love the Debussy suite but can't get my fingers around the toccata and the glissandi in the prelude make my hands die. Are you doing the whole of the Beethoven sonata, or just the 1st movement? The 3rd is definitely worth putting in if you aren't already.
Reply 35
Ive decided not to do my flute diploma at all! Would just end up spending so much time on the same pieces untill im bored of them!!!!
Ive learnt most diploma pieces anyway, bach sonatas, chaminade concertino , hue fantasie, mozart G major, rutter suite antique, Debussy syrinx, hinchcliffe the elemnets etc................
Reply 36
I love Rutter's Suite Antique and Debussy's Syrinx!!

Diploma isn't cheap either and there are other parts of it other than playing

Latest

Trending

Trending