sk:n
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Distortion)
My dad's a dentist and his is title is Dr, he's not an orthodontist.
< S N A P >
gooz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
LOL. Lots of you are misguided. I can't believe you guys are confused about this title. A doctor traditionally means "one who teaches," or basically someone who has attained enough knowledge to teach a subject. Anyone (ANYONE) who has finished their post-graduate studies and successfully earned a doctorate-level degree (e.g. Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Medicine, Doctor of Dental Surgery, Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Fine Arts, Doctor of Education, etc.) is qualified to rightfully be titled "doctor." Not all doctors are of the health sciences, or any science. Some doctors can have a P.h.D in Classical Persian Literature for example. However, Doctors of Dental Surgery (and DMD's) are both health science-related doctorate degrees and should be addressed as such. We are to greet them accordingly (with the rightfully earned title of "doctor"). Keep in mind that dentists must apply to the second most competitive graduate programs in the US, and also are required to spend 4 extra years taking rigorous and pain-staking courses (which is almost identical to medical students' coursework). They must give up their 20's in order to serve humanity. Who do you think would diagnose you with oral cancer, caries, cavities, irregular development of teeth, jaw abnormalities, mandibular bone loss, etc? When your nerves in your jaws are keeping you up at night, who do you want to see? If you are worried about the aesthetics of your teeth, who would you seek out? MD's are NOT qualified or allowed to do fillings, crowns, drilling of your teeth, nor do they want to. They trust their dental doctors to do the job.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by giran)
Dr = Doctorate.

MD = Doctor of Medicine.
An MD is a professional doctorate like the Master of Surgery is.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Degausser)
In this country MD is a postgraduate qualification you can take after your medical degree.

MBBS/BMBS/BM/BM ChB etc is a Doctor of Medicine, despite the qualification being a Bachelors.
It's confusing but MDs are indeed called either Doctors of Medicine or Medical Doctors. The most accurate form to address an MBBS would be a doctor who practises medicine perhaps. Regardless if you go to a clinic with a person with only an MBBS they cannot call them 'medical doctor' or 'doctor of medicine'.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gooz)
LOL. Lots of you are misguided. I can't believe you guys are confused about this title. A doctor traditionally means "one who teaches," or basically someone who has attained enough knowledge to teach a subject. Anyone (ANYONE) who has finished their post-graduate studies and successfully earned a doctorate-level degree (e.g. Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Medicine, Doctor of Dental Surgery, Doctor of Philosophy, Doctor of Fine Arts, Doctor of Education, etc.) is qualified to rightfully be titled "doctor." Not all doctors are of the health sciences, or any science. Some doctors can have a P.h.D in Classical Persian Literature for example. However, Doctors of Dental Surgery (and DMD's) are both health science-related doctorate degrees and should be addressed as such. We are to greet them accordingly (with the rightfully earned title of "doctor"). Keep in mind that dentists must apply to the second most competitive graduate programs in the US, and also are required to spend 4 extra years taking rigorous and pain-staking courses (which is almost identical to medical students' coursework). They must give up their 20's in order to serve humanity. Who do you think would diagnose you with oral cancer, caries, cavities, irregular development of teeth, jaw abnormalities, mandibular bone loss, etc? When your nerves in your jaws are keeping you up at night, who do you want to see? If you are worried about the aesthetics of your teeth, who would you seek out? MD's are NOT qualified or allowed to do fillings, crowns, drilling of your teeth, nor do they want to. They trust their dental doctors to do the job.
Bachelors of Medicine, Bachelors of Surgery and Bachelors of Dentistry are entitled to use the honorific 'Dr' though, even though they do not possess a doctorate.
gooz
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by clh_hilary)
Bachelors of Medicine, Bachelors of Surgery and Bachelors of Dentistry are entitled to use the honorific 'Dr' though, even though they do not possess a doctorate.
Which country are you from? I preside in the United States and we do not have "Bachelor of Medicine" or "Bachelor of Surgery" degrees. Here, we have MD's which are Medical Doctors or Doctor of Medicine (if you are talking about physicians). A surgeon must have an MD and does not get any further degree unless their specialization requires it. For example, an integumentary surgeon only goes by their MD degree. Also, an orthodontist goes by their DDS or DMD degree (doctor of dental medicine). Also, in the US, these titles are not just honorific 'Dr' titles. They are actively and rightfully addressed as doctors in all legal matters and on social occasions. I have always called my dentists "Doctor" and that is the American way (as it is and should be in most countries).
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
All mine have been Mr so and so
Kartace
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
We're told that we can use either, most these days tend to favour Dr i would have said. In every other country this isn't even a discussion, Dentists are just called Dr, it's only in the UK that this contention really exists.
El Salvador
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by gooz)
Which country are you from? I preside in the United States and we do not have "Bachelor of Medicine" or "Bachelor of Surgery" degrees. Here, we have MD's which are Medical Doctors or Doctor of Medicine (if you are talking about physicians). A surgeon must have an MD and does not get any further degree unless their specialization requires it. For example, an integumentary surgeon only goes by their MD degree. Also, an orthodontist goes by their DDS or DMD degree (doctor of dental medicine). Also, in the US, these titles are not just honorific 'Dr' titles. They are actively and rightfully addressed as doctors in all legal matters and on social occasions. I have always called my dentists "Doctor" and that is the American way (as it is and should be in most countries).
I'm from Hong Kong which has the same policies shared by most of the world.

The American situation you mentioned was not what you think it is. First of all, some American schools do award the MBBS, even though some do allow them to bear the title 'M.D.' despite not having a Doctor of Medicine (professional doctorate) degree. And MDs are indeed awarded as professional doctorates.

But yes, it's more confusing in the States, and for all intents and purposes, doctors who practise medicine without a doctorate would be called M.D. in North America.

Yet, this is not universal and considering how this is a UK-based forum, I wouldn't think people who think and talk about the commonwealth system would be 'misguided'.
Milts
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CatexW)
They are a doctor if they had studied for a phD after their dentistry degree.
you're an idiot
06moca1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Brah... lets clear things up.

MBBS etc etc is a bachelor degree of medicine and surgery.

MD is a two year full time research degree, as I believe, which entitles a medical doctor to conduct their own research. I think MD is more clinically focused.

PhD is a 3-4 year doctorate degree which entitle a medical doctor to conduct their own research.

*side note, I have seen MD doctors conduct more lab oriented research since it's possible to switch*

Some countries in Europe and in America award an MD degree instead of an MBBS. It's the same as an MBBS degree.
CheesyPasty
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can register as Dr or Mr, but sometimes Mr is a higher status than Dr due to extra qualifications and specialties
Dento5
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"Dr" can be used as a courtesy title - it is commonplace in other countries to call Dentists by the title "Dr". Some people adopt it here to avoid confusion about their level of qualification. The title "Dr" does not really matter but for ego.
Arvind kalla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Their are 9 branches in dentistry and a full form of bds is bechlor of dental surgery all surgical part deals with incisions implant fracture suture pharma and hygiene at study point of view three years course is same as mbbs and final year deal with dental subjects it is coure of specialization and smart specific practice on human body it is profession of doctory....
Not a Dr.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unless you have a phD you are Mr.
Not a Dr.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by member234278)
Its Dr. Not Mr.
Unless you have a phD it is Mr. You are no doctor
Not a Dr.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mstrkrft92)
Yeah all the dentists I know are Dr.
You probably don't know any dentist that are doctors
Not a Dr.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by daman2)
A dentist is effectively a surgeon and hence a DR.....however like every surgeon they can choose to use Mr or Dr therefore u see a mixture
Dentists are not surgeons nor usually effective. You may be confusing yourself with oral surgeons. Dentists are not doctors
Not a Dr.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gooz)
Spoken like a true non Dr. (Dentist) Of course actual doctors don't worry themselves with being able to fill a cavity! Real Doctors don't worry about that because we have dentists! You'll notice all the sensitivity on this site because dentists wish they were MD's. I am pushing for legislation that makes these tooth jockeys unable to refer themselves as doctors. What a joke!
Not a Dr.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gooz)
Well despite what this dentist has to say he does not speak for all Americans.Normal people realize that dentists are not doctors. If you have a phD, fair enough. But as far as this guy and the rest of the dentists out there... call him Mr. Never doctor
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.63%
I'm not sure (45)
4.39%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (305)
29.76%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.63%
I'm not a current university student (498)
48.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed