Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Guess what my parents got for 17th Birthday...

...Driving Lessons :rolleyes:

Now I don't know, I see people doing it every day and I sometimes wonder 'How do you manage to remember all the buttons and gears' and I always wonder how people can get from say Leeds to Hull without much Geography skills...

...How easy is driving?

ReputationRep:
    Horrible when you first learn. ONce you get the hang its pretty automatic

ReputationRep:
    It's only like that at first. Road signs are easy to use/follow as well.

ReputationRep:
    Driving is easy once you get used to it. PS - you are so lucky. I had to pay for all my driving lessons and it cost an absolute fortune.

ReputationRep:
    It's great fun once you get into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnt)
    I always wonder how people can get from say Leeds to Hull without much Geography skills...
    follow the roadsigns

im gonna start drivign this summer as well.

ReputationRep:
    How much are driving lessons in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere between £10 and £20 for a 1 hour lesson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmichaels)
    How much are driving lessons in the UK?
    around £19-25

ReputationRep:
    How many does one need before obtaining a license? Or is it a case by case basis?

ReputationRep:
    Case by case, some people only need 10, some might need 40.

Driving is like anything else.... it's hard until you get the hang of it. There will come a time when everything becomes natural, and you don't have to think about it - you just do it. From then on driving can be very enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh I hated learning to drive! I found it really hard until you get the hang of it, then its not so bad. Its all the idiot drivers on the road that make it bad.
    (I am still bitter from failing my test literally in the last 2 minutes of it!)
    And driving lessons cost £20-25 generally. I tihnk the average is 35-40 lessons before you take your test. Obviously it depends on how much practice you get away from your instructor too.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know a single person in Manchester who has passed with less than 50 lessons. 50-100 seems to be the norm, but I have had more than 100, everybody I know has been having lessons for at least a year before they passed. But then city driving probably is harder.

Physicaly driving is easy, dealing with traffic is not, you have to process all the information around you, at the same time you have got to control the car (which becomes automatic).

Either way driving is not easy, and learning is possibly the most horrible experience you will ever have. I personaly hate maths with a passion, but I started to hate lessons so much that I wished it was a maths exam!

Also all the people I know didn't have any lessons with their parents/friends etc, this is becuase insuring a car without a full licence is extremely expensive especialy if you're male.

In Manchester I think lessons cost between £17-£20, you shouldn't ever pay any more than £20. Apparantly becuase of the driving instructors dual controls and their qualifications driving instructors get very cheap insurance, its very very unusual for them to ever have a crash even when pupils are driving.

So you're paying £20 an hour, £5 on this is probably costs, £15 is profit, mainy of them can easily earn £30k a year so don't get tricked into making your instructor rich and don't fall for its to cover all the costs lie.

ReputationRep:
    DAMN!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: You guys are talking about thousands of pounds! 100 lessons?!?!? Are you serious? How long does it take you guys to learn how to drive? Now I know that getting a license in America is a lot easier. I accept that. For me, it was a 2 week couse, 10 lessons. Cost $200 (£100!!!!!). The lessons were split between driving, classroom, and simulation. And I was only 15! I got my license the day I turned 16. There was no final test, they simply assessed you during the course and you pass was judged on your overall time there. The test was a short multiple choice written test before they actually give you the license once you're 16. And the cars were automatic :rolleyes:

I understand that the UK version should be more intense, but 100 lessons is just absurd. You're talking £2500, which will cost more than your first car most likely.

Have any of you ever driven before you started your lessons? Do your parents not take you out some time to let you practice a bit on an empty road? I was sitting in my Dad's lap when I was a child, trying to steer the damn thing. Kept going into other lanes . But I started driving the car fully by the time I was 12, with a parent of course.

I think this must be a cultural thing. Where I came from they said, "Come on now, you're driving." And they toss the keys at you.

ReputationRep:
    I took 30 lessons 2 pass my test but i did loads of driving with my parents 2. It all varies from person 2 person.... and ur instructor!

ReputationRep:
    DAMN!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: You guys are talking about thousands of pounds! 100 lessons?!?!? Are you serious? How long does it take you guys to learn how to drive? Now I know that getting a license in America is a lot easier. I accept that. For me, it was a 2 week couse, 10 lessons. Cost $200 (£100!!!!!). The lessons were split between driving, classroom, and simulation. And I was only 15! I got my license the day I turned 16. There was no final test, they simply assessed you during the course and you pass was judged on your overall time there. The test was a short multiple choice written test before they actually give you the license once you're 16. And the cars were automatic :rolleyes:

I understand that the UK version should be more intense, but 100 lessons is just absurd. You're talking £2500, which will cost more than your first car most likely.

Have any of you ever driven before you started your lessons? Do your parents not take you out some time to let you practice a bit on an empty road? I was sitting in my Dad's lap when I was a child, trying to steer the damn thing. Kept going into other lanes . But I started driving the car fully by the time I was 12, with a parent of course.

I think this must be a cultural thing. Where I came from they said, "Come on now, you're driving." And they toss the keys at you.
    Yup, AT82's story is only one case. I could drive long before I was 17 and took about 10 lessons/2 months to pass. It cost less than £200 altogether.

ReputationRep:
    I had a lesson this morning. Its not bad when you get into it.

ReputationRep:
    I've been having driving lessons for the past three months and i'm stil at the stage where nothing is automactic so its taking me ages. Apparently you have a moment when it all clicks and becomes a lot easier. I'm taking my theory test in two weeks and want to take my practical test before the end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    Quite easy

ReputationRep:
    Automatic transmission makes it much easier to learn - I guess it would probably take about half the time to learn how to drive an auto because you don't have to master clutch control, etc.

In this country though, if you take your test in an auto, you get a restricted license that only allows you to drive autos - but I think you are entitled to drive 'clutchless manuals' like Smart cars, Easytronic Corsa, and all the other ones.

Took me 5 months to learn to drive and that was from scratch. At 2 lessons a week, I guess about 40-50 hours and it was £13/hour when I was learning (5-6 years ago). Works out around £600 but I didn't pay for it.

Unfortunately, our country being a lot smaller than yours and the police being a lot tougher on unlicensed, uninsured and underage drivers makes it much less practical for kids to drive before they are legally allowed to start taking lessons.

I think it would be a jolly good idea for there to be 'off-road' driving schools here, where 15-16 year olds can learn to drive on non-public road circuits, so that they can get used to the controls of the car and having small amounts of traffic around them, which will make them more road and traffic aware when they get out onto the public roads when they're 17.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.