?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
^^^
BioSam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In type 1 the body does not produce insulin.
In type 2 the body does produce insulin, but the cells that it targets do not respond to its presence.
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
type 1 juvenile diabetess an autoimmune disease that results in destruction of insulin-producing beta cells of the pancreas

type 2 adult-onset diabetes characterized by high blood glucose in the context of insulin resistance and relative insulin deficiency
dschna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Then where does hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia come in? I.e. body doesn't produce enough blood sugar and the body produces too much, respectively.
BioSam
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dschna)
Then where does hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia come in? I.e. body doesn't produce enough blood sugar and the body produces too much, respectively.
Well if insulin is not released (type 1) or the body's cells are unresponsive to its presence (type 2), then the person would suffer hyperglycaemia after a meal (especially one rich in carbohydrates) because glucose would be absorbed into the bloodstream and the mechanisms which usually get rid of circulating glucose would fail.

Hypoglycaemia would be a response to an overdose of insulin (hyperinsulinaemia) such that too much glucose is removed from the blood, which is why diabetics who inject insulin have to watch the frequency and amount they are injecting.
dschna
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, I'm no biologist, I just saw the thread on 'My TSR'. I'm an architect (...in training)
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Insulin not only affects glucose also - its a general anabolic hormone that helps you put on fat and muscle, so type 1 diabetics have big problems putting on weight, whereas type II is common in obese individuals. That's also why insulin can be used by athletes to increase performance (illegally).
shreya.pandey
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In type 1 diabetes the body does not produce any insulin for the blood cells to absorb to generate energy. In this case, most of the times, insulin is injected at a regular dose to the patient. Type 1 diabetes can exist since childhood and hypoglycemia is common among type 1 diabetics.
In type 2 diabetes, your body is either not producing enough insulin or your body is not able to use the generated insulin effectively in which case your diabetician will prescribe a pill like ime9 in order to catalyze the process inside your endocrine system.
Either way, diabetes is harmful and a regular diet and a healthy life style is advised in order to maintain yourself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (337)
15.64%
The paper was reasonable (1172)
54.39%
Not feeling great about that exam... (466)
21.62%
It was TERRIBLE (180)
8.35%

Watched Threads