Turn on thread page Beta

Good revision technique or plain stupidity? watch

ReputationRep:
    I know this may sound a little silly but would it help at all if I recorded my myself talking through my notes via my iRiver (mp3 player) and then play it back while I sleep?

I'm just thinking that somehow this is very effective?

ReputationRep:
    don't know if you'll actually be able to sleep... and while revising is good, sleepless nights won't help you at all
    Can you concentrate on your work while listening to music? If so, pick certain songs you like while revising so that if your mind goes blank while taking the test you just think of the song you were listening to and it'll all come back to you works with some people

ReputationRep:
    You may as well get some subliminal tapes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThugzMansion7)
    I know this may sound a little silly but would it help at all if I recorded my myself talking through my notes via my iRiver (mp3 player) and then play it back while I sleep?

I'm just thinking that somehow this is very effective?
    try a sample. Do a small piece of your notes and see if it helps. If not scrap it otherwise do more. Wont hurt to try for a little while as long as you dont waste time on it.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid idea - you'll only just wake up with a headache.

ReputationRep:
    There is some rather decent evidence to say that "sleep revision" doesn't work.

Why not listen to them when you're awake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    There is some rather decent evidence to say that "sleep revision" doesn't work.

Why not listen to them when you're awake?
    Somehow I had this idea that, It'd been scientifically proven to do that....lol..oh well

ReputationRep:
    I used to have my TV set to tuen on an hour before my alarm went, on bbc news 24, and I'd listen to the news while half asleep. I found that most days I knew what was in the news without realising I knew it (if that makes sense).

Perhaps try playing it back to yourself while you are half asleep///

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phreek)
    I used to have my TV set to tuen on an hour before my alarm went, on bbc news 24, and I'd listen to the news while half asleep. I found that most days I knew what was in the news without realising I knew it (if that makes sense).

Perhaps try playing it back to yourself while you are half asleep///
    thats a gud idea actually i may turn on some radio overnight to see if has any effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveManUK)
    thats a gud idea actually i may turn on some radio overnight to see if has any effect.
    To be honest, when I first did it, I didn't even think about absorbing the news, I just find it easier to wake up if the TV is on. But I'm happy to have had a good idea... Kind of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phreek)
    To be honest, when I first did it, I didn't even think about absorbing the news, I just find it easier to wake up if the TV is on. But I'm happy to have had a good idea... Kind of
    u know i say that too often, sometimes the idea is a load of rubbish but i still say it, so dont think too much of it. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveManUK)
    u know i say that too often, sometimes the idea is a load of rubbish but i still say it, so dont think too much of it. :p:
    Why'd you have to go and ruin it for me!

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure it actually works to be honest. I can tell you of something similar though. My mother's friend is a sargeant in the RAF and for his last exam he recorded stuff on a tape and played them in his car until he became so god damn pissed off he remembered all of it.

ReputationRep:
    if u're an auditory learner it'll work.
    are you?

ReputationRep:
    That's almost how I learnt my French oral. Almost, because I was awake when listening!

I can't believe that it would work when you are asleep, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben C)
    That's almost how I learnt my French oral. Almost, because I was awake when listening!

I can't believe that it would work when you are asleep, though.
    Some people reckon it does. I might try it with a learn Italian CD or something..

ReputationRep:
    A m8 of mine done that and he seemed to think it worked.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it soaks into your subconscious, since your conscious is asleep, and that's how you learn stuff on the long term, by taking it into your subconscious. Same way you develop skill with instruments (muscle memory) etc. (well obviously u dont play them whilst asleep, but it's the same type of concept as repetition, the more you repeat something the more it sinks in).

It's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    It has been scientifically proven (on brainac) to not work in the slightest (watch the repeats that are allways on SkyOne Mix if you dont belive me!)

ReputationRep:
    So long as you can get to sleep OK (and I think most people would be able to) then it can't hurt to try!

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.