Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please explain. i get contradicting information, or maybe it's just a grey area?

does a, say 2:1 degree from a reasonabily respected university, look better to employers then a 2:2 from a top five uni?

Also, i know tables should only be considered for broad opinions on institutions, however, if one uni has a much better reputation but is much lower in the tables for that particular subject, which one would you go for?
    as in Wolverhampton being rated higher for Russian than Bath, but Bath higher up overall?
    just for the degree not location or anything
    ta

ReputationRep:
    Alot of jobs specify that at least a 2.1 is required (or good degree which normally implies 2.1+) so I'd probably rather the 2.1.

With regards to the 2nd question I'd chose Bath over Wolverhapton in any subject. No question.

ReputationRep:
    I think the 2.1 would definitelty be better as that's seen as a respectable degree class, whereas a 2.2 generally isn't, especially for top graduate jobs. As for the university, if you'd love to go to Wolverhampton but you'd hate Bath, obviously go to Wolverhampton. There's no point going somewhere you won't enjoy just for the reputation. If you wouldn't mind either, go to Bath to make it easier on yourself when you graduate.

ReputationRep:
    id say go with what you heart/gut feeling for uni choice. All the best, and biggest decisions are made from the heart! and its often better than choosing with your head!

Also - Id pick which you like, go to it. Try your best, and have a good time. Try not to waste these precious years worrying about grades and ratings and more about living life to the full.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connery)
    Please explain. i get contradicting information, or maybe it's just a grey area?

does a, say 2:1 degree from a reasonabily respected university, look better to employers then a 2:2 from a top five uni?

Also, i know tables should only be considered for broad opinions on institutions, however, if one uni has a much better reputation but is much lower in the tables for that particular subject, which one would you go for?
    as in Wolverhampton being rated higher for Russian than Bath, but Bath higher up overall?
    ta

2:1 would still be better. Times where a 2:2 would be better than 2:1 maybe for example when the 2:2 is for Maths or a Bsc compared to a 2:1 in say Drama or an equivilant BA. TBH at end of the day its all relative against other factors such as type of employment etc!

Bath is def better than Wolverhampton as overall ranking is more noted than individual subject rank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connery)

ta
    I would employ a person with a 2:1 degree from a reasonably respected university. The degree classification and experience is the most important thing.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.