Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On the TV over here, a 7.4 earthquake was measured off the washington coast 90 miles off. So, a potential repeat of the boxing day disaster could come, but unlikely.

At least the warning time is in good order.

ReputationRep:
    do you have any web links?, there dont seem to be any for bbc or google yet. thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It's not on CBC yet either.

It's on TV right now though at the bottom of the screen. Sopposed to effect from oregon to northern vancouver island. Thank god i live on the east coast of Vancouver island. My house is only 300 meters from the ocean, although, im about 90 meters above it!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.pgc.nrcan.gc.ca/seismo/table.htm

here ya go

ReputationRep:
    cool thanks

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    its potential is there, but does not mean it is going to happen. it depends on a lot of factors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    http://www.pgc.nrcan.gc.ca/seismo/table.htm

here ya go
    *Is worried for you*

But tbh I think you lot should be fine, I mean safety-wise that is. Not sure about property...

Anyway I can see where you're coming from - even though where I live we obvioulsy have different issues (ie. bushfires), it's still worrying!

Hope you'll be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    *Is worried for you*

But tbh I think you lot should be fine, I mean safety-wise that is. Not sure about property...

Anyway I can see where you're coming from - even though where I live we obvioulsy have different issues (ie. bushfires), it's still worrying!

Hope you'll be ok

OO thanks. Im not to worried, the one during boxing day last year was over 9.5 i think, and this one is 7.4, so i think i will be ok.

We also have large forest fires over here, and they are far worse.

ReputationRep:
    Just in case you want to know what happened in the earthquake/tsunami on boxing day:

Okay, so where earthquakes happen is mainly at trenches, which is where oceanic crust is subducted under continental crust. Volcanic islands form about the continental crust. An example of this is the Java trench which is where the earthquake happened that caused the tsunami. The oceanic crust gets forced under the continental crust and it kinda makes the continental crust sink with it, cos of friction. But the continental crust is much more buoyant and won't sink, hence at a certain point it "snaps back" and rises again, and the whole subduction zone slips. This is what causes the earthquake.

The worrying thing is that the Java fault was a loaded fault, and only a 1/4 of it has been released. After the boxing day earthquake there was another one more south of it (I don't know what date this was on). There's 3/4 left to go and it'll happen in the next 30-40 years and more south.

With tsunamis, the wave is 3-5 m high. If you're on the continental side of the trench, you'll get the really low water side of the wavelength first. Tsunamis travel half their wavelength in 10 minutes, so if you see this happen you have 10 minutes to get as far away as fast as possible. Unfortunately if you're on the other side, you'll get the high part of the wavelength first, so unless there's been a government warning you're ****ed.

Oh, and geologists have known for ages that the fault was gonna cause an earthquake... If I bother to get out my plate margin map I could tell you all the subduction zones that could potentially cause the same thing (of course some are more "loaded" that others).

Anyway hope that was interesting to someone somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    OO thanks. Im not to worried, the one during boxing day last year was over 9.5 i think, and this one is 7.4, so i think i will be ok.

We also have large forest fires over here, and they are far worse.
    Your's is about a 1000 times less powerful, if i get my figures right.

It's quite a difference.

well,i foresee many natural disasters in the future
    *sulks*

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the warning is over now, they don't think there will be another tsunami

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eeyore)
    Apparently the warning is over now, they don't think there will be another tsunami

Ya, the warning ended before i went to bed. There was a tsunami here once, in the 60's i think. The earthquake that caused it was in Alaska!

ReputationRep:
    I heard there was, but they later cancelled the warning!!

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    I hope everyone is ok over there!

ReputationRep:
    I have nightmares about tsunamis on a regular basis, have done for years. Last night was a pleasant change... I dreamt about tornadoes instead! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    the boxing day earthquake was 9.0 in the end (it was originally recorded as 8.9)
    each step in the richtor scale shows an exponential growth of power. 7 is ten times more powerful than 6 and 100 times more powerful than 5.

ReputationRep:
    Talking of tidal waves, just think about the huge chunk of rock on the side of the canairy islands, when that falls into the ocean, which it will, the wave will be so high, they predict that it will sweep over at least half of america, england will be hit aswell, probs reach the top side of london :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chemaz101)
    Talking of tidal waves, just think about the huge chunk of rock on the side of the canairy islands, when that falls into the ocean, which it will, the wave will be so high, they predict that it will sweep over at least half of america, england will be hit aswell, probs reach the top side of london :eek:
    Yeah, there was a simulated pic of a 91ft high wave they recorded last year... it was absolutely huge... and if the canary islands triggers one, it's gonna be something like 2,920ft :eek:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.