Turn on thread page Beta

school bus passes watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4090622.stm
    what does everone think of this scheme. i think its unfair, especiallly to university students. i spend a reasonable amount on london bus fare. having paid (80p to £1.20) its unfair how the kids take all the seats without paying and fill up the bus. with this scheme, the busses will become even more overcrowded leaving once again the tax payers to pay for these children goin to school. why cant they invest in making transport cheaper for everyone and why is the price of a bus ticket on ly 40p, and £1.20 for an adult. i stil dont earn anymore from when i was 7. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    i think bus passes should be free for all who live in the area, and funded mainly bypeoples car taxes. This will mean that people will have the incentive to get out of the car and will make the environment and public transport better and the roads are less crowdy.

But if im going to be realistic, that will never happen. I think instead of giving just school kids passes they should give all students because they havent got the time to be working and making money and are just trying to give themselves a better life. But im happy they do give school kids the passes, as I couldnt afford one when I was at school.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    I think this is great, though I do agree that is should be extended to all students. But at least it is a first step. Who knows whether o not it may be extended in the future.

It will really help some families with travel costs when even just a few pence for a journey here and there can soon mount up to be too expensive.

And it will put a stop to most of the 'horror stories' we hear about young children not being allowed on buses by sadistic bus drivers as they don't have the few pence needed. These stories come round every so often and really make me angry.

In the past, free bus passes were available to 'entitled children' - i.e. at secondary level - those that lived more than three miles from their nearest 'appropriate' school. All others have to pay the regular fare.
    Now many LEA's are making free bus passes available only to those whose parents are on means tested benefits provided the child goes to a school beyond the 3 mile limit. All others will have to pay a subscription towards the total cost of the travel.

The lesson to be learnt is that LEA's are being very short sighted because removal of free transport will result in more children being taken to school by car, causing more roads congestion. There is a practical solution however - everyone walk to school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markgg)
    i think bus passes should be free for all who live in the area, and funded mainly bypeoples car taxes. This will mean that people will have the incentive to get out of the car and will make the environment and public transport better and the roads are less crowdy.
    That's not very fair Mark!

I love my new car and love even more not having to endure the company of savage schoolapes. I would particularly resent having to pay for their transport to and from their day zoos when I think that most of them should be put to work anyway - maybe filling potholes to make my journeys even more comfortable.

I have sympathy for older students who will often have no more money than the spoiled brats they are subsidising - but don't try and pass the burden on to me please.

ReputationRep:
    what does everone think of this scheme. i think its unfair, especiallly to university students. i spend a reasonable amount on london bus fare. having paid (80p to £1.20) its unfair how the kids take all the seats without paying and fill up the bus. with this scheme, the busses will become even more overcrowded leaving once again the tax payers to pay for these children goin to school. why cant they invest in making transport cheaper for everyone and why is the price of a bus ticket on ly 40p, and £1.20 for an adult. i stil dont earn anymore from when i was 7
    Well your lucky, i get two buses to get to college and it costs me at least £2.80 a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachaelmarie)
    Well your lucky, i get two buses to get to college and it costs me at least £2.80 a day.
    yeah i spend about £2.40 a day, so why should under 16s get free transport then??? :confused:

(Original post by Asian cutie)
    yeah i spend about £2.40 a day, so why should under 16s get free transport then??? :confused:
    Why should anyone get free transport in that case - from the babe in arms to the oldest of the old?

ReputationRep:
    Why should anyone get free transport in that case - from the babe in arms to the oldest of the old?
    The answer is to give everyone free bus passes, not no-one.

(Original post by Speleo)
    The answer is to give everyone free bus passes, not no-one.
    Yeah - I can just see that bloke Souter who owns Stagecoach buses doing that!

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one, because if we're making people travel far to school, and then make them pay for their bus pass, are we then not denying them from a free education? In my town, there is one particular suburb that has no secondary school. They won't get into the nearest one because it is way oversubscribed so they have to travel to the otherside of town on bus. Why should they have to pay for that, education should be FREE! I know it's tough **** for everyone who works because that's the generation that missed out, but every generation in the future who has to pay for it will have benefited. I think it's a great scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger Kirk)
    And it will put a stop to most of the 'horror stories' we hear about young children not being allowed on buses by sadistic bus drivers as they don't have the few pence needed. These stories come round every so often and really make me angry.
    I once had to ask the other passengers for one penny, I only had 39p and he wouldn't let me on....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah - I can just see that bloke Souter who owns Stagecoach buses doing that!
    1. State-owned buses
    or
    2. Government pays bus companies

ReputationRep:
    How long do you think it will take Ken to raise adult fares to pay for this?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with whoever thinks it is stupid. I don't know how the hell they are going to compensate for free child travel, I think 40p is perfectly adequate, and it will exploited by pikies etc meaning that the system will be corrupt and useless, and our fares will most likely increase.

ReputationRep:
    How long do you think it will take Ken to raise adult fares to pay for this?
    They should get free bus passes too, or cheap ones.

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of what you call free bus passes if you still have to pay for them through higher taxes?

ReputationRep:
    What is the point of what you call free bus passes if you still have to pay for them through higher taxes?
    To discourage the overuse of cars, and thus congestion and pollution in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    To discourage the overuse of cars, and thus congestion and pollution in London.
    What if I like using my car and don't want to pay for others to get the bus?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows driving in London is stupid anyway, the transport sector is making enough money as it is, the free travel for kids isn't needed, no one was/is complaining about it.

(Original post by Asian cutie)
    i stil dont earn anymore from when i was 7. :mad:
    Get a job.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.